• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Nottingham Forest vs. Crystal Palace match thread

I agree with OG that confidence is clearly the issue right now. Last night, players were hiding and not showing for the ball, meaning attacks kept breaking down before they got going. There seemed to be a reluctance to push on and support attacks, leaving Nketiah constantly isolated while the passing and crossing were often rushed and misplaced. The question is, what can OG do to try and restore that confidence? Change the tactics? Hire a hypnotist? Take the team to Nandos?

It's one thing to see the problem, it's another thing to solve it. Right now I think we need big personalities who don't hide, like Hughes but also like Mateta. JP has a presence and I don't really understand why he's not starting. If it's to do with a contract dispute then just put that issue to one side as right now we need points on the board. Kamada may come good but he is the wrong player for what is increasingly moving towards a need to scrap for points. Henderson is the reason we have any points at all so I'll forgive him for last night's gaff.

Right now Spurs are the last team we want to play given their aggressive, high-press approach, and I worry we could get soundly beaten unless Lady Luck finally shines kindly on us. Lose the next two and Glasner may need more than luck, he may need a miracle to keep his job.

Plenty of the doom brigade been let out to play tonight and with only a quarter of the season gone.

Personally, and the stats back my point up, I am rather proud of the performance, despite the result. I said a couple of weeks ago that we are no longer at the same level as Notts FC and therefore surprised to see so many people wanting a win. With that said, keeping a strong side at bay (bar one goal) in probably the most hostile away ground in the Premier League shouldn't be discounted.

Like the Liverpool result, it's only nothing to one and therefore, backed up with this good performance, is something we can build on.

Keep up the support, the team need us and deserved to be praised
Well I can admire your robust optimism but come on......3 points, 5 goals scored and this time we don't have a vibrant Wilf to return and inspire the team. If you can't see misery when it stares you in the face.....

Well I can admire your robust optimism but come on......3 points, 5 goals scored and this time we don't have a vibrant Wilf to return and inspire the team. If you can't see misery when it stares you in the face... ..

…….you’re not a palace fan, it’s what we do best 😀

Trying to put my finger on why we are so poor this season, obviously we miss MO,JA and even JA to a lesser extent.But strangely I think we are missing Eduard as well, with him on the bench we could start Mateta and he would put a shift in and keep the opponents centre backs busy and when he ran out of steam we could bring on Eduard and still have that physicality up front. Nketia is too lightweight, easily out muscled unlike an Ian Wright type who gave as good as he got.

Very disappointing. It was a game that we could (should?) have won, given that Forest are not that great themselves. However, they, like most of our ‘rival’ (teams that are at best mid table) play with pace and passion and do get forward with a degree of threat. Our 17/18 shots last night may be a decent count but a) how many on target, b) from outside the box, and most importantly c) a result of a structured play or build-up. We looked lack lustre going forward with little threat when we did. JPM should have started with Ebs more central and Sarr, an outright winger. As many have said on here, we no longer have a general or a hold-up player (like Ayew) and last seasons back-end zip has gone. For me the brightest spark was Agbinone the academy product. I’d give him a run v Spurs.

Change the Manager? No, I don’t think so. Transition takes time and last seasons back-end was never going to be replicated once MO,JA and JA went, but Oli does need to get a grip and start ‘throwing the hair dryer’.
The group hug approach doesn’t seem to be working or sure but I’m not sure who he should throw the hairdryer at.

Trying to put my finger on why we are so poor this season, obviously we miss MO,JA and even JA to a lesser extent.But strangely I think we are missing Eduard as well, with him on the bench we could start Mateta and he would put a shift in and keep the opponents centre backs busy and when he ran out of steam we could bring on Eduard and still have that physicality up front. Nketia is too lightweight, easily out muscled unlike an Ian Wright type who gave as good as he got.
I was certainly not advocating that we should acquire him and we spent £30 Mill on a striker who had only been a bit-part player. I was also not that enamoured when we acquired Sarr asserting that he often goes 'Missing' in games, playing on the periphery.
Perhaps both these players will prove to be excellent purchases !

Its hard to know exactly what needs to be done. And whilst not standout, I dont get the hate for Kamada, he was tidy in the first half.

Munoz is a big issue for me. supposed to be the attacking fullback, and often has lots of space to run into. Almost always slows the game down.

To the point that with him and Mitchell, there is no longer any point playing wingbacks. Might as well revery to a back 4, and either play 2 upfront, or play Eze as a 10.

Looking at last night and the season as a whole it is clear the formation we have isn’t going to work with these players. OG’s formation relies on a front 3 who can hold the ball, retain possession and link up. Only Eze has that ability from the 3 who started last night. Nketiah’s hold up and link play was poor. If he is anything he’s a poacher but he is poor on the ball so far. Kamada just seemed constantly out of position. He worked hard but it was like he was playing in a different system to the others. We don’t have anyone on the bench who can obviously fit better in OG’s system either. As others have said it is crying out for a formation change

Looking at last night and the season as a whole it is clear the formation we have isn’t going to work with these players. OG’s formation relies on a front 3 who can hold the ball, retain possession and link up. Only Eze has that ability from the 3 who started last night. Nketiah’s hold up and link play was poor. If he is anything he’s a poacher but he is poor on the ball so far. Kamada just seemed constantly out of position. He worked hard but it was like he was playing in a different system to the others. We don’t have anyone on the bench who can obviously fit better in OG’s system either. As others have said it is crying out for a formation change
To be honest, I've never been entirely convinced by the formation. It may be a good surprise weapon for unprepared opponents, but I personally don't know of any top team that uses this system consistently and successfully over a longer period of time. But I'm no expert, maybe others know.

I don't understand OG's tactics or team selection.

He is in danger of losing the dressing room.

Where has the pressing gone? Players maybe out of form but does that stop them working hard?
Looking at his face at his post-match interview mad me wonder. His answers about a turn-around were quite standard but his face didn't comply with his words. I like him and wish him the best, but in the end its the points in the table that count. All circumstances which have to be considered when looking at the poor results this season are more or less valid for 19 other premier league teams. We are not the only squad affected by injuries, players out of form, players on international duty, short preparation time and so on.

I don't understand OG's tactics or team selection.

He is in danger of losing the dressing room.

Where has the pressing gone? Players maybe out of form but does that stop them working hard?
have to agree. I've defended him thus far but yesterday and v Everton the 'team' look disjointed and without an attacking plan.

Kamada can't start, that's so obvious. Why are we not pressing like we did so effectively last season?
If we are going to hit it long surely play JP and not Eddie up front.
When the 3 CBs pass it around where is the out ball?
Set pieces - we look clueless defending and attacking. When defending we don't seem to even mark their tallest players and we had one attacking free kick in the 1st half and seemed unclear as to who would take it.
A throw in in injury time was just pushed up the line straight to a Forest player.

Yes, it was a tight game and could have gone either way but you need to create your own luck at times and we are just constantly shooting ourselves in the feet

I’m a fan of Kamada but have to admit he was poor last night and should have been substituted earlier.

We haven’t been losing heavily and with Doucore and Wharton returning to the team that should help immensely.
Is wharton returning ? My understanding is he has an injury and needs an operation.

The group hug approach doesn’t seem to be working or sure but I’m not sure who he should throw the hairdryer at.

I'm not a fan of either TBH. I'm not looking for anyone to be hugging and kissing the players or equally screaming at them.

They're grown men, it's a professional football club, and capability is not an issue. They need to start doing a professional job as we are in a bad situation.

It’s pretty much already been nicely summed up in the comments above but I’m brassed off so need to vent slightly…

Last night was typical of a struggling side really, can’t score and then eventually concede (from a poor goalkeeping error) which is always the case.

What’s particularly disappointing is that was a very average Forest side who were missing key players and who didn’t play well at all, yet we still lost. We didn’t look to have the spark, the desire or the tactical whereabouts. Alongside very poor performances from Eze (one decent shot does not make up for the off target effort and repeatedly giving the ball away), Munoz, Nketiah & Mitchell.

6 Points desperately needed from the next four games somehow!

But for Henderson's error we would have got a point at an intimidating ground against an uncompromising team.

Back three look like they know each other finally.

Noticeable that other than Schlupp's at the end all our chances were from well outside the box....much less chance of scoring!

Wing backs have no support most of the time and end up checking and turning. Neither has much confidence any more or any belief that one of the forward players will get there if they go for the byline.

Whole team and managers confidence is shot. We really need a bit of luck to build up our confidence and then perhaps we will be shooting from better positions.

New manager would probably result in a short lived bounce. I would rather stick with Glasner and sort out what we have got ....which is some pretty good premiership players who aren't playing to win.

Set pieces - we look clueless defending and attacking. When defending we don't seem to even mark their tallest players and we had one attacking free kick in the 1st half and seemed unclear as to who would take it.

There was an odd bit where Kamada seem to be looking at the bench to see who should take a free kick, micro management?

Back