• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Marc Guehi

The irony is that Guehi and Andersen arrived in the Summer of 2021 and formed an immediate CB partnership playing together for the vast majority of games that season. With Richards already established as a PL player and Riad having shown decent quality in pre-season, it won't IMO be a disaster if, as is seeming increasingly likely, both Guehi and Andersen leave in this window. Of course, we will need Lacroix to join to be the third CB in Glasner's system. I would not be surprised if we hold back on letting Guehi go until Lacroix is in the bag.
Agreed 👍

Here's a bit in the Evening Standard which, for me, at least is something which may be of substance. Says we're looking at Lacroix and Araujo, with Chalobah and Kossounou also in the mix. I am therefore suspicious that Guehi may well go, especially if we receive circa £70mil, however replacements should be arriving too.

Does it all feel very precarious, risky and anxiety inducing? Yes. But equally, there may be some inevitability here that is unavoidable and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of us being better off from a footballing standpoint, at the end of it.

The irony is that Guehi and Andersen arrived in the Summer of 2021 and formed an immediate CB partnership playing together for the vast majority of games that season. With Richards already established as a PL player and Riad having shown decent quality in pre-season, it won't IMO be a disaster if, as is seeming increasingly likely, both Guehi and Andersen leave in this window. Of course, we will need Lacroix to join to be the third CB in Glasner's system. I would not be surprised if we hold back on letting Guehi go until Lacroix is in the bag.
It should be pointed out that they replaced Sakho, Cahill and Dann. This is a very different scenario where we would be replacing one of the best centre-back pairings from the last few seasons. I seem to remember they had a full preseason too, but I could be wrong. I love Richards, but I don't think he's at Andersen or Guehi's level. Riad looks promising.

Its hard to know what will happen for sure. Sky are doing what they always do (acting as a mouthpiece for the 'Big' club and telling us all its inevitable. Palace on the other hand remain tight lipped since the agreement with Fulham for Andersen was announced. Guehi himself has said nothing and in footage of him training today looks relaxed happy and unmoved. There is every chance that the claim coming out of Newcastle that an agreement is getting closer could be total rubbish.
On the other hand, I dont believe Palace would agree to this deal unless it suits Palace. This means that the club are properly compensated, they have already got cover in place and that OG is happy with the situation and can continue with his plans without seeing MG's departure as a setback.

On a personal note I would be disappointed to see both defenders leave. I'd be happier to sell one in this window, integrate a replacement into the team and another on the bench playing in the cups and then sell the other one in January making the transition period steadier and probably smoother. But if it happens all we can do is hope OG brings in the right players that can hit the ground running.

At the end of the day we hold the cards this summer and £60 - £70m whatever the fee is, will be top end for a centre back with 2 years left of his contract. Clearly we don’t want to run the risk next summer of Marc forcing our hand and taking a much lower fee. OG 100% will have a say in this and if he didn’t let’s remember was linked with the Bayern job only 3 months ago so start upsetting him then we really are in trouble!
Without stating the obvious we will need to get 2 more CB’s in with Lacroix seemingly almost over the line. Would take Chalobah as the other one and sure there’s a deal to be had with Chelsea.

I’d be perfectly happy to see both Andersen & Guehi go if we’re going to get £95 Million for the pair and sign Lacroix plus one more from Araujo, Chalobah and Kossounou.

Along with Richards, Chadi Rhiyad, Lerma, Clyne & Holding I think we’d be in decent shape with enough left over for a new winger, left back & striker!

Guehi & Andersen were lovely to watch but defending corners and free kicks (e.g. Burnley away 3-3 and West Ham Home) they were often left wanting. JA we have had the best of and £30M is good money. Similarly £65M for Guehi is good business if we can buy Lacroix plus one other young CB for half that.

I’d be perfectly happy to see both Andersen & Guehi go if we’re going to get £95 Million for the pair and sign Lacroix plus one more from Araujo, Chalobah and Kossounou.

Along with Richards, Chadi Rhiyad, Lerma, Clyne & Holding I think we’d be in decent shape with enough left over for a new winger, left back & striker!

Guehi & Andersen were lovely to watch but defending corners and free kicks (e.g. Burnley away 3-3 and West Ham Home) they were often left wanting. JA we have had the best of and £30M is good money. Similarly £65M for Guehi is good business if we can buy Lacroix plus one other young CB for half that.
I’m pretty much with you on this. As good as Guehi and Andersen are on the deck they are pretty poor in the air and offer very little at corners when we are attacking. There is also a mistake in both of them so to get close to £100m for the pair has to be fantastic business.

What I am more concerned about is Textor and his desire to leave and the rights he may or may not have to snaffle the money that comes into the club. So whilst on the face of it, we potentially have a huge amount in the tank with the sales of Olise, Guehi and Andersen, how much there is to spend may be a small percentage of this by the time shareholders have had loans repaid.

This is of course speculation but I’d be interested to know more if anyone can assist.

Agreed... if there was a guarantee of no relegation this year. Any positive looking transfer business arithmetic would be dwarfed by the impact of not staying in the division. Let's hope the powers that be have made the right calls.

At the end of the day we hold the cards this summer and £60 - £70m whatever the fee is, will be top end for a centre back with 2 years left of his contract. Clearly we don’t want to run the risk next summer of Marc forcing our hand and taking a much lower fee. OG 100% will have a say in this and if he didn’t let’s remember was linked with the Bayern job only 3 months ago so start upsetting him then we really are in trouble!
Without stating the obvious we will need to get 2 more CB’s in with Lacroix seemingly almost over the line. Would take Chalobah as the other one and sure there’s a deal to be had with Chelsea.
And Sterling maybe? Say £20m for the pair.

Where are we on this?
One week to go.
£65-70m sounds ok based on all issues for both clubs.
There needs to be a lot happening next week to get this and two incomers over the line.

Newcastle are full of sh#t. After their 4th offer they said they wont go a penny higher and will walk away if Palace dont accept.
Palace reject the offer. They're still hanging around like a bad smell.
Then they said yesterday if the deal isn't agreed by the weekend they'll walk away.
Now they're saying they are 'closing in' on a deal.

Its all rubbish. I've got no doubt that they are no further forward in signing Marc Guehi and they wont be unless they break the bank with a bigger offer than they have currently tabled. Even then Marc is going to need to want to go there. Despite trash click bait Geordie comics reporting Guehi is 'keen on the move' the reality looks far more likely that he isn't.
If he wanted this move, even though he is a good lad that wont rock the boat at Palace, he would 100% have told Parish he wants to go. All indications are that has not happened.

I'm not saying this deal definitely not going to happen. What I am saying is it is far from certain. Do not be surprised to see the transfer window close and Marc Guehi still a Palace player.

Newcastle are full of sh#t. After their 4th offer they said they wont go a penny higher and will walk away if Palace dont accept.
Palace reject the offer. They're still hanging around like a bad smell.
Then they said yesterday if the deal isn't agreed by the weekend they'll walk away.
Now they're saying they are 'closing in' on a deal.

Its all rubbish. I've got no doubt that they are no further forward in signing Marc Guehi and they wont be unless they break the bank with a bigger offer than they have currently tabled. Even then Marc is going to need to want to go there. Despite trash click bait Geordie comics reporting Guehi is 'keen on the move' the reality looks far more likely that he isn't.
If he wanted this move, even though he is a good lad that wont rock the boat at Palace, he would 100% have told Parish he wants to go. All indications are that has not happened.

I'm not saying this deal definitely not going to happen. What I am saying is it is far from certain. Do not be surprised to see the transfer window close and Marc Guehi still a Palace player.
Most of us are hoping you're right.

In his interview, when asked about outgoing transfers, Glasner said that in the end “it’s up to the player”. Anderson and Ayew got good offers and chose to go. I suspect and hope Guehi has chosen to wait for a better offer than Newcastle or see his contract out and negotiate a deal elsewhere. I think he will stay provided Liverpool don’t come knocking.
The best option for Palace would be to persuade him to sign a new contract with a decent release clause.

SKY have been talking this deal up and saying it's moving closer. They have become a joke recently, usually miles behind with 'breaking news'.
My theory is that they are baiting Newcastle and Palace fans, because any player who is close to leaving will not be playing on a Saturday.

You have a £70 million asset and you risk him in a game, not to mention make him captain? Doubtful.

Or, I could be entirely wrong. 😉 🤔

Back