• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Marc Guehi

An article I read yesterday from a Newcastle source gave me a good old chortle yesterday.

Apparently Newcastle will be back for Guehi in January. They fully expect to get their man but they have made it clear they won’t be offering as much as they did before and they expect Palace will accept a much lower offer🤪
Unbelievable Jeff.🤣🤣🤣

I

An article I read yesterday from a Newcastle source gave me a good old chortle yesterday.

Apparently Newcastle will be back for Guehi in January. They fully expect to get their man but they have made it clear they won’t be offering as much as they did before and they expect Palace will accept a much lower offer🤪
Unbelievable Jeff.🤣🤣🤣

I
Muppets 🤣

How much longer is that whinger Howe going to go on about Newcastle's failure to get Guehi?

He uses it as an excuse for everything. Get over it man! Your tried to get him on the cheap, it didn't work so you tried the long game hoping our chairman would cave in and it back fired. Newcastle come over as entitled bunch of s....s. Not everybody thinks Newcastle is the pinnacle of world or even English football! What actually have they achieved since their new owners took charge? Nothing! Guehi will leave for sure, but I can see bigger clubs than Newcastle wanting him, and good luck to the boy, he deserves better than whinger Howe and Newcastle.

How much longer is that whinger Howe going to go on about Newcastle's failure to get Guehi?

He uses it as an excuse for everything. Get over it man! Your tried to get him on the cheap, it didn't work so you tried the long game hoping our chairman would cave in and it back fired. Newcastle come over as entitled bunch of s....s. Not everybody thinks Newcastle is the pinnacle of world or even English football! What actually have they achieved since their new owners took charge? Nothing! Guehi will leave for sure, but I can see bigger clubs than Newcastle wanting him, and good luck to the boy, he deserves better than whinger Howe and Newcastle.

When PIF took charge of Newcastle in 2021, they were languishing in 19th place in the PL. That season they finished in 11th place.
The season after 2022-23, Newcastle reached the quarter-final of the League Cup, finished in 4th place in the PL and qualified for the Champions League.
Last season 2023-24, Newcastle reached the Quarter-final of the FA Cup and finished in 7th place in the PL.

In the 3 seasons before the arrival of PIF, Newcastle finished 12th and twice in 13th place.

When PIF took charge of Newcastle in 2021, they were languishing in 19th place in the PL. That season they finished in 11th place.
The season after 2022-23, Newcastle reached the quarter-final of the League Cup, finished in 4th place in the PL and qualified for the Champions League.
Last season 2023-24, Newcastle reached the Quarter-final of the FA Cup and finished in 7th place in the PL.

In the 3 seasons before the arrival of PIF, Newcastle finished 12th and twice in 13th place.
So to recap they have won the same as us over the last 5 years Nada 🤣

Last edited:

Willo, What I was trying to say was that for all their huffing and puffing and trying to buy as many players as they can get, they have achieved nothing in regards to their trophy cabinet. I'm sure the guys with wads of dosh cant be happy with their return so far, regarding that side of things.

Willo, What I was trying to say was that for all their huffing and puffing and trying to buy as many players as they can get, they have achieved nothing in regards to their trophy cabinet. I'm sure the guys with wads of dosh cant be happy with their return so far, regarding that side of things.

The issue for the Saudi owners is not what return they have got on their money so far - it's a frustration that they haven't been allowed to put in many times more tens or hundreds of millions of pounds to achieve their aims which will mean winning something. The amount of money they have spent is negligible compared to their total resources. It's why the Man City case opening on Monday is so important to rein in the petro-state sponsorship of PL football teams.

As an aside, I would go with Willo on this and say qualifying for the champions league is an achievement.

Last edited:

Agree, with this. There seems to be an assumption that had Palace and Newcastle reached an agreed fee that Guehi would have signed for them. I think the reason Marc and Parish were so chilled about this was that it was unlikely he would have agreed a contract with them as they are not on his list of clubs he would like to play for.

So Palace won't get their £70m fee and Newcastle won't get Guehi. Even in January it looks very different. Suddenly his contract is up a year (and a bit later) and he can go where he wants on a free.

He'll only leave now if a club he wants to play for come in - but even then - next summer if he's happy enough seeing out his time with Palace then why not wait and maximise his signing on deal.

Agree, with this. There seems to be an assumption that had Palace and Newcastle reached an agreed fee that Guehi would have signed for them. I think the reason Marc and Parish were so chilled about this was that it was unlikely he would have agreed a contract with them as they are not on his list of clubs he would like to play for.

So Palace won't get their £70m fee and Newcastle won't get Guehi. Even in January it looks very different. Suddenly his contract is up a year (and a bit later) and he can go where he wants on a free.

He'll only leave now if a club he wants to play for come in - but even then - next summer if he's happy enough seeing out his time with Palace then why not wait and maximise his signing on deal.
Agree. I’m sure Marc has a number of clubs in mind he would like to play for and Newcastle are evidently not one of them. If any of those clubs bid in January he will want to go, if not, there is very little downside from his point of view to waiting. Palace miss out on a big fee but that is hardly his problem.

Don’t agree with this at all. In my opinion he will either sign a new contract with a mutually agreeable release figure in it or we will sell him in January or year end. I don’t see his value massively reducing in either January or year end. There is not a chance we will let him go on a free.

If Marc and Palace have not reached an agreement for a contract extension (which will include a higher salary and a fair release clause) by December, then I suspect Palace will need to sell him in the January window

Don’t agree with this at all. In my opinion he will either sign a new contract with a mutually agreeable release figure in it or we will sell him in January or year end. I don’t see his value massively reducing in either January or year end. There is not a chance we will let him go on a free.
Yes, i agree with that, i don't think Marc would have gone to Newcastle even if they had come up with the fee, i think he will sign with a release clause, or wait until next summer, and end up staying in London, his family and Church play a massive part of his life, and the upheaval of resettling in the north east is, IMO, something he wouldn't want, i see him going to Arsenal, Spuds or Chelsea for about 50m next summer

If Marc and Palace have not reached an agreement for a contract extension (which will include a higher salary and a fair release clause) by December, then I suspect Palace will need to sell him in the January window
But he might not want too, he holds all the cards

It's not up to Palace to let him go on a free or not. It's up to Marc. He doesn't have to sign with any club we agree a deal with.

In the January window he only has one year to wait before he can sign a pre-contract agreement in January 2026

At that point he will get the financial benefit of being a free agent. He's a nice guy but I don't see why he would help out Palace by signing a new contract with a high release clause possibly to the detriment of his own career and bank balance (useful for Church projects).

Having said that he'd better start defending a bit better!

It's not up to Palace to let him go on a free or not. It's up to Marc. He doesn't have to sign with any club we agree a deal with.

In the January window he only has one year to wait before he can sign a pre-contract agreement in January 2026

At that point he will get the financial benefit of being a free agent. He's a nice guy but I don't see why he would help out Palace by signing a new contract with a high release clause possibly to the detriment of his own career and bank balance (useful for Church projects).

Having said that he'd better start defending a bit better!
No, don’t agree because firstly I don’t think he’s that sort of person and secondly there is nothing to stop us putting him up for sale at any time.

There is a hardball solution for the club as well as for Guehi which is to not pick him if he refuses to leave. It’s been done by much bigger clubs than Palace to much bigger players than Guehi.

There is a third factor in that anything can happen fitness wise that could affect who remains interested in him.

I see no reason why he wouldn’t sign an improved contact with a reasonable release clause. He is not Messi or Ronaldo. You need to ask yourself whether he is willing to see out two seasons on his current money when there is likely to be considerably more on offer from Palace or elsewhere.

We will see what happens because at the moment we know he is our captain and will be playing at least half a season for us.

No, don’t agree because firstly I don’t think he’s that sort of person and secondly there is nothing to stop us putting him up for sale at any time.

There is a hardball solution for the club as well as for Guehi which is to not pick him if he refuses to leave. It’s been done by much bigger clubs than Palace to much bigger players than Guehi.

There is a third factor in that anything can happen fitness wise that could affect who remains interested in him.

I see no reason why he wouldn’t sign an improved contact with a reasonable release clause. He is not Messi or Ronaldo. You need to ask yourself whether he is willing to see out two seasons on his current money when there is likely to be considerably more on offer from Palace or elsewhere.

We will see what happens because at the moment we know he is our captain and will be playing at least half a season for us.
I am very interested in your take on this. I hope you are right. Different opinions are interesting.

Back