• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Marc Guehi

I find it odd that we are prepared to sell Sam Johnstone for a paltry £10 Million and yet seem to be holding out for an extra few million for Guhei.

I suspect that things are not as the media present them. (Surprise)

I appreciate that Johnstone is said to be homesick and not happy at being No2 but surely an England goalkeeper is worth at least double that.
With Guehi, Parish is either playing the hardest hard ball ever or we have no intention of selling to Newcastle. Another potential buyer has not materialised as yet, and it's getting a bit late.

He is 31 so that will be a factor - most goalies seem to peak around late 20s/early 30s so he is just passed that point. If he was a couple of years younger i'd definitely agree.

He wants to go and Palace are prepared to accommodate this. As we got him on a bosman only 2 years ago that may have an impact too, as will his injury record.

if he doesn't move by Friday, his agent would not be doing his job if he didn't try and get his client a pay rise. Obviously Palace will want to link this to an increased contract length, so if he doesn't announce a new contract in Sept that will tell me that MG (or his agent) wants to move on in the next year or so.

Similar to the Olise situation last year - didn't move to Chelsea and next day doubles his salary at Palace
If he doesn't go Im sure we would give him an extended contract with an enhanced salary and a release clause that triggers at the end of this season. Hopefully £65 + add ons either way.

He is 31 so that will be a factor - most goalies seem to peak around late 20s/early 30s so he is just passed that point. If he was a couple of years younger i'd definitely agree.

He wants to go and Palace are prepared to accommodate this. As we got him on a bosman only 2 years ago that may have an impact too, as will his injury record.
31 isn't that old for a keeper and his injury record is OK before last season.
However, the price is obviously agreeable to both sides for whatever reason, but, what does it mean for the standard of our second keeper?
A serious side needs two quality stoppers.

Maybe Newcastle will take this to the wire so Chelsea do not have time to consider matching the bid. They may even forgo a medical to get it done fast.

Maybe Newcastle will take this to the wire so Chelsea do not have time to consider matching the bid. They may even forgo a medical to get it done fast.
Interesting idea.

General point
I have just been reading about buyback clauses on the BBC and you maybe onto something. If you want to sign a player and you know he has a buyback clause you do not want to give his former club time to ponder if they want to sign him. So agree a deal late in the day and hope that the former club don't have time to consider if they want to match it.

Interesting idea.

General point
I have just been reading about buyback clauses on the BBC and you maybe onto something. If you want to sign a player and you know he has a buyback clause you do not want to give his former club time to ponder if they want to sign him. So agree a deal late in the day and hope that the former club don't have time to consider if they want to match it.
Fair comment but surely Chelsea have already thought about this and been in contact with Palace. It would be a bit amateur hour if they were seriously interested in Guehi and haven’t. There could already be a Chalobah or Chumbewakeumithingy bloke deal plus cash for Guehi in the background. Hopefully not because I’ll never get his name right.

Fair comment but surely Chelsea have already thought about this and been in contact with Palace. It would be a bit amateur hour if they were seriously interested in Guehi and haven’t. There could already be a Chalobah or Chumbewakeumithingy bloke deal plus cash for Guehi in the background. Hopefully not because I’ll never get his name right.
Amateur hour - transfer windows are amateur weeks and months aren't they!

If he’s not happy with a move to the Geordies then I’m guessing his best move will be to sign a new contract at Palace with an improved salary with a fixed release fee of say £70m that can be met at the end of a season. That way Chelsea would already know what the figure is if they want him.

From a financial point of view we would be guaranteeing future income and effectively the additional cost to us would be paying him the difference between the old and new salaries for as long as he stays.

It would also make sense that any release clauses state they must be completed at least two/three weeks prior to the start of a new season to allow a replacement to be found. In fact I reckon all release clauses would be better written like this.

Bet he will after the window closes, especially if he gets£100k/wk on say four years with a release clause starting next May of £65m.
We'll see.
I don't see the logic in offering him more money if there is a release clause inserted into a new contract that is triggered for less than his market value. Which is currently said to be £70m
Olise coined it for a year and then left anyway for a ridiculously cheap price.

We'll see.
I don't see the logic in offering him more money if there is a release clause inserted into a new contract that is triggered for less than his market value. Which is currently said to be £70m
Olise coined it for a year and then left anyway for a ridiculously cheap price.
I suppose it depends if we want to encourage him to stay or not. I’m indifferent as to whether he stays but I see Lacroix as Andersen’s replacement not Guehi’s.

I think Guehi is hoping a bigger club will come in for him although that's not going to happen this window.
This wouldn't surprise me. Newcastle offer no European football at all this year

If he wants consistent Champions League football then the only pretty well guaranteed spots in England are Man City (where Stones is a sub) and Arsenal (who have just bought Califiori and have Timber back). However, Liverpool are the next best bet and if they do not come in now then are very likely to in January next summer as van Dijk declines

I don't think that him only having one year left on his contract next summer necessarily means he will go for a lower fee. This year Newcastle have gone pretty high with no competition and Chelsea may need to up their defence if they miss out on Champions League. If he can cement his place in the England team and have another solid season other top European clubs could also be in the mix

Watching them against Forest on TV I’m not sure a centre back is their biggest priority. krafth and Burn look pretty solid.
Guehi counts as home grown - which always helps for registration. They could get him on a long contract and probably expect Guehi to become a mainstay. But most of all, if they want to start playing out from the back a bit more and start their moves a bit quicker - then they think Guehi will add a bit of technique and skill to the defence. Burn, in particular, is more of a no nonsense centre back - rather than having much else about his game.

Back