• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Marc Guehi

Willo, you are going on to ‘ignore’, which is a shame because occasionally you post some reasonable stuff.

I will review the situation after the transfer window closes.

Seems that the smart business decision is to get 70M now - "a bird in the hand ...." MG is agreat defender, no doubt, but we managed reasonably well when he was injured and presuming we get a replacement as part of the process and some money in reserve it all makes financial sense. Nevertheless loosing our two key CB's has a risk quotient that our manager has to mitigate. IF Nketiah comes in and forms a striking partnership with Eze, then we would be in a net positive position over today and equal to last year. The rest of this week will tell if the squad is stronger or weaker when the window closes - I just wish the club planned ahead and made deals before the last minute, but then as a net seller, we can't insulate ourselves against late moves made by other clubs such a Fulham for Joa. Even if I feel frustrated about all of this, one thing for sure is that Parish is not going to put the club into a financially unstable position and that is key for the future.

Willo, you are going on to ‘ignore’, which is a shame because occasionally you post some reasonable stuff.

I will review the situation after the transfer window closes.

Rest assured I do not give a jot and will not lose any hours of slumber on account of the action you have taken.
Given our past exchanges I was expecting you to reach for the 'Ignore' button.

Last edited:
Rest assured I do not give a jot and will not lose any hours of slumber on account of the action you have taken.
Given our past exchanges I was expecting you to reach for the 'Ignore' button.
I think it was because your last statement sounded rather like Dazza - albeit a more erudite version!

I reckon the upstairs shenanigans with the main board directors has more to do with what’s going on currently than is being reported in the press.

Parish I believe has the support of Blitzer and Harris but it’s still rumoured that Textor either wants to buy the entire club or sell up and buy Everton. Parish will be desperate not to sell to Textor as should we all be because that in my opinion would be the death of the club.

It could well be that Textor is instigating some of these sales to get his loans paid back prior to shipping out. We just don’t know for sure however it makes sense when you see a successful side being stripped of it’s valuable players.
All four directors have equal voting rights. Textor cants force the board to sell players against their will. He'd be voted down.
I still dont believe Guehi will leave but I dont believe the world will end if he does.

Several years ago £50m might be sensational. Not now. We sold AWB for £50m.

Agree.
When you consider unproven midfielder Lavia was sold by Southampton to Chelsea for £58 million.
Guehi is an established Premier League and International player, who's only like to get better.
He's very consistent and has an excellent temperament.
Ultimately I suppose it's what the market will pay and and, as far as can be ascertained, Newcastle seem to have little or no competition for Guehi's services.
Personally, I hope he stays.

Furthermore if ,for example, we give a big and lengthy contract to Joe Gomez (who I believe is only a year younger than Anderson and more injury prone), part of me thinks we may as well have kept Anderson.

Agree.
When you consider unproven midfielder Lavia was sold by Southampton to Chelsea for £58 million.
Guehi is an established Premier League and International player, who's only like to get better.
He's very consistent and has an excellent temperament.
Ultimately I suppose it's what the market will pay and and, as far as can be ascertained, Newcastle seem to have little or no competition for Guehi's services.
Personally, I hope he stays.

Furthermore if ,for example, we give a big and lengthy contract to Joe Gomez (who I believe is only a year younger than Anderson and more injury prone), part of me thinks we may as well have kept Anderson.
There is a time to sell and this is the time 65m is still a lot of money, it will take it up to nearly 150m in and so far 26m out, its got new stand written all over it, maybe H&B promised 100m, maybe they didn't, i expect Guehi, Johnstone and Edouard to leave, who is coming in i have know idea.

There is a time to sell and this is the time 65m is still a lot of money, it will take it up to nearly 150m in and so far 26m out, its got new stand written all over it, maybe H&B promised 100m, maybe they didn't, i expect Guehi, Johnstone and Edouard to leave, who is coming in i have know idea.
Parish in an interview with the Standard in relation to H&B's investment.
'The most important thing is that is available to invest in the infrastructure of the club. I would stress , this isn't for new players.We can manage that out of our own resources.This is to build the infrastructure of the club to take it to the next level.'
Hence the talk of their investment being ring fenced for the new stand.

I've seen no statement to subsequently contradict that so assume it still pertains, although acknowledge it could have changed without being made public.

With regard to the current window I've seen nothing to suggest the squad at the end of the window will be stronger than the one that finished last season.
Thus we're going backwards, but of course I hope to be proved wrong.
It's generally not a good idea to sell your best players.

Parish in an interview with the Standard in relation to H&B's investment.
'The most important thing is that is available to invest in the infrastructure of the club. I would stress , this isn't for new players.We can manage that out of our own resources.This is to build the infrastructure of the club to take it to the next level.'
Hence the talk of their investment being ring fenced for the new stand.

I've seen no statement to subsequently contradict that so assume it still pertains, although acknowledge it could have changed without being made public.

With regard to the current window I've seen nothing to suggest the squad at the end of the window will be stronger than the one that finished last season.
Thus we're going backwards, but of course I hope to be proved wrong.

I have communicated with a number of supporters and others who have no allegiance to the club and your comments echo their views.
I believe supporters were realistic to accept that we would not retain ALL of our prized assets but recent departures and possibly more have given them cause for real concern.One asserted that the club are selling the 'Family silver', and purchasing cut-price replacements !

In terms of the strength of the squad as compared to that of last season,I believe it is sagacious to reserve judgement until the Window closes.

But some are more difficult to replace than others. Olise was so much more critical to the team than Guehi. He looked great for Bayern at the weekend. We would have had points in the bag if he was playing instead of Kamada or Edouard. Guehi didn't swing the needle

I was in communication with a gentleman, this is a statement of fact.
I was not engaged in speculation.
Time will tell if what this gentleman believes will be the outcome will transpire to be the actualite.
So the sole "facts" in this post are that you spoke to someone, and he thought Guehi would leave.

So what? Probably half the fans and journalists think that. I can hardly believe that you think that that adds to the debate, but I guess that you will tell us that it does. Ah well.

All four directors have equal voting rights. Textor cants force the board to sell players against their will. He'd be voted down.
I still dont believe Guehi will leave but I dont believe the world will end if he does.
Different question then, is he entitled to have his loans repaid if he is leaving the club? Not expecting you to know the answer but interested if you do.

I agree with you regards Guehi but feel he must be replaced (Lacroix) if he does go.

I was in communication with a gentleman, this is a statement of fact.
I was not engaged in speculation.
Time will tell if what this gentleman believes will be the outcome will transpire to be the actualite.
Went a bit French at the end there.

Multilingual smarty pants!

I don’t see how there was anyway of stopping Olise going, the boy has a plan and I don’t think anybody would be surprised if he has a couple of outstanding seasons for BM and is then off to Madrid or Barca.

We all expected MG to be off after his World Cup showings where the rest of the country saw what we’ve seen for a couple of years, MG is a rolls Royce of a player.

None of us know but it is possible that because nobody other than the geordies have shown interest MG has worked out a better deal with us with a nice uplift in salary, club captaincy and a release clause. A similar deal to what Olise. This gives him another season with clubs now knowing his quality, giving him more and better options. ( for example Van dyk is likely to be up in the air next season).

If the above turns out to be the case and Lacroix is known to be coming in, perhaps letting Anderson go was actually a solid bit of business, same for Ayew.

With the Nketiah likely coming in too, we might actually look pretty decent once OG has had the squad for few weeks.

All my own musings to be fair. Who knows what is really going on behind the scenes.

Back