• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Marc Guehi

Everyone seems to be forgetting in our good end to last season Guehi didn't play at all, the back three was 100% Andersen, 90% Richards, with Clyne, Ward and Lerma making up the third position, Guehi was at fault for the Friendly goal against Nantes, Poor in Brentford's first goal, and doesn't dominate like Andersen, the bottom line is, he isn't that good, Richards is now, by far, our best Center back.

Everyone seems to be forgetting in our good end to last season Guehi didn't play at all, the back three was 100% Andersen, 90% Richards, with Clyne, Ward and Lerma making up the third position, Guehi was at fault for the Friendly goal against Nantes, Poor in Brentford's first goal, and doesn't dominate like Andersen, the bottom line is, he isn't that good, Richards is now, by far, our best Center back.
Richard’s is better than Guehi ?

We are unlikely to be in a relegation battle

our next proper game is at Stamford Bridge. Do you honestly believe our recent form, and now the sale of Andersen, is anything to feel good about ?

call me a pessimist, but if we lose three games , it will be a crisis. Plus the fourth game will be facing Ayew who knows all our defenders' weaknesses.

our next proper game is at Stamford Bridge. Do you honestly believe our recent form, and now the sale of Andersen, is anything to feel good about ?

call me a pessimist, but if we lose three games , it will be a crisis. Plus the fourth game will be facing Ayew who knows all our defenders' weaknesses.

I am HOL's resident pessimist, a doomster and gloomster and whilst I would not consider 3 successive losses a "Crisis", I believe it will raise even greater concerns amongst our supporters than they are expressing at the present time.
Suffice to say the narrative of building on the successes of the end of last season and finishing higher up the table has dissipated.Recent transfer activity and possible further outgoings has caused alarm and despondency.

Interesting comments from Anderson re his exit,

‘I was disappointed that Palace could not offer me such a deal in relation to length.
It was really a cold and cynical move from Palace so they could make the last coins from me. ‘

This follows on from tweets from Luka and Martin Kelly questioning the sale.
I only mention this because they know the players and the club so have better insight than the posters on this site.

In a sense it’s futile still discussing it because what’s done is done, but he was a key player for us - joint player of the season last year, rarely injured, our best defensive header of the ball , our best long passer and in many respects our leader on the pitch.

Yes, you can sell all your best assets and make a ton of money but at what cost to the team.
I’m not aware of the club being in financial difficulties.
I know the argument will be that we can invest in a younger , better option at perhaps half the price.
This to me is wishful thinking.
The side is weaker now than it was last season and if we sell Guehi that will only compound the issue.

‘I was disappointed that Palace could not offer me such a deal in relation to length.
It was really a cold and cynical move from Palace so they could make the last coins from me. ‘

I only mention this because they know the players and the club so have better insight than the posters on this site.

In a sense it’s futile still discussing it because what’s done is done, but he was a key player for us - joint player of the season last year, rarely injured, our best defensive header of the ball , our best long passer and in many respects our leader on the pitch.

Yes, you can sell all your best assets and make a ton of money but at what cost to the team.
I know the argument will be that we can invest in a younger , better option at perhaps half the price.
The side is weaker now than it was last season and if we sell Guehi that will only compound the issue.

Well he would say that wouldn't he. He could have said I was a greedy so and so and demanded a massive pay rise and Palace refused so I took the Fulham offer instead.

He's just trying to justify why he left, I have no problems with anyone leaving for more money we all we do the same thing but please don't make it you are a victim.

By Far, look at last seasons stats, Richards, more tackles won, more headers won, more blocks, he is a top class defender, not flash but solid, quick, powerful, and miles better in the air.
He's regressed this season which I put down to positional change and general instability in the back three.

Hopefully he will move back to where he was last season when/if we get the defenders in that we are in the market for.

Well he would say that wouldn't he. He could have said I was a greedy so and so and demanded a massive pay rise and Palace refused so I took the Fulham offer instead.

He's just trying to justify why he left, I have no problems with anyone leaving for more money we all we do the same thing but please don't make it you are a victim.
If it’s all about the money, which clearly it is, then good riddance, I’d sooner have Wardy in the back three

There was interesting side note in the interview OG gave Kronen-Zeitung before the Brentford game. "I'm almost more ambitious with my own targets than the management." Make of that what you want.

And yet we found the money for Kamada who is reputedly our highest paid player with wages in excess of £100,000 per week.
I would contend that Anderson would be more important to the team than Kamada.
That’s not a slight on Kamada who may turn out to be a good player for the club.
But Anderson has been a top player at Palace for a few seasons and is proven at the level.

I’m not disputing your central point about players’s greed (that’s how we got Kamada) , and in relation to Anderson he’s clearly not the victim - it’s the team that is the victim through being demonstrably weaker.

Anderson had 2 years on his contract and there was no immediate pressure to sell.
I recognise his value depreciates and the financial implications which the club has to make an assessment on.

From what I can see though we have no ready made replacement to step in though .
If we buy a fantastic centre back this week that shows that the club had a plan all along and it made football as well as financial sense then I’ll be the first to hold my hand up.

And yet we found the money for Kamada who is reputedly our highest paid player with wages in excess of £100,000 per week.
That’s not a slight on Kamada who may turn out to be a good player for the club.
But Anderson has been a top player at Palace for a few seasons and is proven at the level.

I’m not disputing your central point about players’s greed (that’s how we got Kamada) , and in relation to Anderson he’s clearly not the victim - it’s the team that is the victim through being demonstrably weaker.

Anderson had 2 years on his contract and there was no immediate pressure to sell.
I recognise his value depreciates and the financial implications which the club has to make an assessment on.

From what I can see though we have no ready made replacement to step in though .
If we buy a fantastic centre back this week that shows that the club had a plan all along and it made football as well as financial sense then I’ll be the first to hold my hand up.

Kamada's on £81k a week. It was in all the reports at the time. Apparently he doubled what Lazio were paying him. I think Eze is on more than that after he signed his new deal last year.

With respect,we should have held on to Anderson,probably one of our best defenders and sincerely hope his sale does not come back to haunt us.

Kamada has certainly not "Hit the ground running", however I will reserve judgement as his career with us is in its infancy. Glasner is aware of his qualities from his tenure at Eintracht Frankfurt.

Let us invoke the principal of "Whole Hog", selling off our experienced and tried and trusted players for multi-millions replacing them with cut-price chaps many have not even heard of as part of some 'Masterplan' to elevate us to take the club to a new level crashing through that 'Glass ceiling' and ensuring flights to Europe are booked !!!!!!!

I suspect if after the Window is closed, supporters believe there is a financial surplus,speculation will abound!

A Palace friend has just told me that there's a rumour that Guehi has signed a new contract!!

Don't know if true, but has anyone else heard this?
I've not heard it but it makes sense. Why have Palace made him club captain if he's off to Newcastle? It would make us look really stupid, if he were to go. My theory is that he has signed a new improved contract (probably with a release clause) and the club will confirm this when it suits their purpose to do so.

Kamada's on £81k a week. It was in all the reports at the time. Apparently he doubled what Lazio were paying him. I think Eze is on more than that after he signed his new deal last year.
I think it is strange he only signed a 2 year deal, maybe bought to offload in the winter window, who knows.🙄

As always, we seem to struggle with a clear transfer plan. We would appear to have made a pig's ear of the Guehi transfer saga. If we had clear intentions to sell him, he should have been sold for c.£60-65m three weeks ago giving us plenty of time to bring in replacements and consider the Anderson situation.
We are now going to be last gasping it. Maybe Guehi will go. Maybe not. Will we bring in replacements? Maybe. Maybe not. Then it will be friday midday and we will all be perplexed. Nothing changes.
SP should have avoided his Sky interview. It has not helped his public image.
Super star....super star value. Please. This is real not Roy of the Rovers.

Back