• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Everton vs. Crystal Palace match thread

Dominated the match..Everton had 2 shots. Wharton back towards his best. Kamala looks mediocre at everything.eze just totally ineffective. Vanity player. Lecroix is super competitive but useless on the ball. Still waiting for nketiah to look threatening and not just tidy on the ball. Pleased to never see goodison park again. Glasner must be fuming.

Yeah ….. 4 monthes ago we feared that OG will be lured away by Bayern, City etc. instead of winning the title with us, now he knows nothing about football…. Sorry, but this seems a little bit overreacting to me.
First half we played decent and should have killed off the game, 2nd was sh!te as we seemed to loose the plot after conceding.

On way back from the game. Another disappointing result. First half we had them where we wanted them, but we didn't go for the second.
Kamada I'm sorry to say is just not a premier league player. Far too lightweight. I'm starting to get a bit concerned and I didn't see this coming at all, even after losing Olise. We could very well hit November without a win.
Seems to me already it's try for 14th and do well in a cup. Should I be disappointed? No. Just the end of last season seems so long ago it might as well be when the Berlin Wall fell.

The first goal was so frustrating. If you watch Kamada, he has time, but rushes a pass to a covered player. But then he backs up. Guehi has to then come out and try and reach McNeil, which he can't get to in time. Yes, it was a very nice shot, but Kamada made 2 mistakes.

The second goal is nice, but Nketiah should have done better. But fair play to Jack Harrison and McNeil, both were spot on.

Wharton played a few passes which were intercepted, but I think all the ones I can remember he was trying to hit an attacking player making a cut in behind. Obviously you don't want him to lose possession, but if you're going to, that's where to do it.

Lecroix looked good to me. He's a good header of the ball, and fast. I have faith he'll do well.

The sub of Schlupp for Nketiah made no sense to me. He's had some great moments in the past for us, but appears overweight and isn't great at keeping possession.

We're just not clicking right now. Hopefully, like last season, Liverpool will be the cure.

Just to be different....I think we are still getting there and I am trying to be positive. Playing the "land of the giants team" wasn't a big part of our loss today.

Henderson - good game, alert for over the top balls and not at fault for either goal.
Munoz - busy as ever, saw a lot of the ball without doing a great deal. A key part of Glasnerball.
Guehi - assured, won more headers than usual and comfortable on the ball.
Lacroix - His best game for us? Some key interceptions and getting up to PL speed.
Lerma - Did well and gave us more fluidity at the back.
Mitchell - Solid defensively and available as an outlet. Isn't one of the top PL chance creators this season?
Kamada - a mixed bag, not all bad. OG must think that he is worth investing time in. Who are we to disagree?
Wharton - not quite firing on all cylinders but maybe carrying an injury. IMO needs Doucoure alongside him.
Eze - As often, moments of greatness but drifts. I think would be better with Sarr as a starter to take a little pressure off and offer another threat.
Nketiah - seems to be played out of position a lot but skillful, direct and wholehearted. I think he will come good like AJ did.
Mateta - No summer break at all, so not quite at the heights of last season's end. We just need to play more to his strengths. I believe he will click into gear again, given better service.
Glasner - I get the Kamada thing and playing Nketiah out of position. But I think the end of last season has earnt him some slack though we need to click again soon.

We've still got Riad, Franca and Doucoure to come back and they will feel like new signings.

Europe is looking a bit further away but we have a much better squad overall this season. That will come into play more as the season progresses.

So, I have decided to let the cat out rather than kick it.
Your round up of our players could be almost all our games. The problem is the results are not going our way. Glasner needs to find a solution or I fear for his future.
Sadly the last season end when we all thought we had arrived has long gone. We now need to face up to our position and get on it Tonight we are in trouble.

We needs someone like Dyche or ( big Sam - 5 years) or Roy - 5 years, don't deserve to be ambitious

To be more specific defensive minfed manager with attaching players like Zaha and Olise.

Simple

We're conceding an average of 1.5 goals a game which means we need to score 2 to win.
We're not the dynamic, free scoring team from the end of last season where we always looked like scoring.
At present we look like a team who can draw games, but not win them.
The balance of the team does not look right.
If we lose to Liverpool in the next fixture (not unlikely) , we will go into mid October without a league win.
Then it's another international break with players away and more disrupted training.

I'm not pushing a panic button, but I envisage a difficult season if we persist with a system that does not suit our current players.

Things need to change and change quickly - Kamada ain’t a CDM - Nketiah and Mateta up front ain’t working - we’re unbalanced without a naturally left footed wide player - I said in the window we needed one and now we see why..!!

Squad has quality but formation ain’t working and OG putting square pegs in round holes to keep to the 3-4-3 formation - which as I said isn’t working.

This just feels like we have been here before. Season before last Roy came in and we went on a great run, playing exciting attacking football. Next season started and we were rubbish for a very long time until we replaced Roy with OG. Shaky start but then we went on an exceptional run and even with the loss of Olise it still felt like we would be in contention for a top 10 place.

What has gone wrong?

My view (and its just my view) is we are halfway house between a DF & SP team and a team OG wants. We have signed some good players but not necessarily the ones OG would want for his system. The end result of this is we are playing some out of position and don't seem to have a gameplan any more.

I'm not sure if it will suddenly click or not but currently i fear we are going to lose Guehi & Eze in January and then not replace them properly (in our usual style). Its my fear and I hope to god I am wrong.

I'm not too bothered about a new stand - I am bothered about maintaining EPL status and not being bottom 6 all season.

I am 67 so i know the supporting Palace score but just once it would be so nice not to have this feeling of impending doom at the start of the season.

Dominated the match..Everton had 2 shots. Wharton back towards his best. Kamala looks mediocre at everything.eze just totally ineffective. Vanity player. Lecroix is super competitive but useless on the ball. Still waiting for nketiah to look threatening and not just tidy on the ball. Pleased to never see goodison park again. Glasner must be fuming.
If OG is fuming he only has himself to blame this. He had the tools today to change things. Why start with Kamada? I think it’s Eze or him not both. Same with JPM and EN. Can’t start them both. EN is not and never will be Olise. Get Sarr out there and let him work out how to play affectively with Munoz because in the same way that Wharton is being affected by Kamada, we have lost a massive amount of Munoz best game because he has nobody working with him. Also he gets into some great attacking positions but never looks to pull the trigger.

On the left, Eze never looks to be an option for Mitchell. With no help to our 2 wingbacks we go backwards, hit and hope or just lose possession and or momentum.

Still really pissed off.

My opinion

Utter dog shite, Glasner needs to play players in their right positions, Nketiah is a striker not a winger, Eze needs to play central behind the striker, Sarr is a starter, Kamada needs to be benched ect.

I know it's early days but Glasner needs to sort this out before the season goes down hill

Glasner will be gone in December at this rate.

Kamada has to be dropped. Mateta or Nketiah, not both.

Our passing is awful and that lead to their equaliser.

I'm fast losing patience with the whole situation.

This just feels like we have been here before. Season before last Roy came in and we went on a great run, playing exciting attacking football. Next season started and we were rubbish for a very long time until we replaced Roy with OG. Shaky start but then we went on an exceptional run and even with the loss of Olise it still felt like we would be in contention for a top 10 place.

What has gone wrong?

My view (and its just my view) is we are halfway house between a DF & SP team and a team OG wants. We have signed some good players but not necessarily the ones OG would want for his system. The end result of this is we are playing some out of position and don't seem to have a gameplan any more.

I'm not sure if it will suddenly click or not but currently i fear we are going to lose Guehi & Eze in January and then not replace them properly (in our usual style). Its my fear and I hope to god I am wrong.

I'm not too bothered about a new stand - I am bothered about maintaining EPL status and not being bottom 6 all season.

I am 67 so i know the supporting Palace score but just once it would be so nice not to have this feeling of impending doom at the start of the season.

Let’s be honest, it would be strange without it though. 😀

It never changes though does it? Some seem to forget it’s a 38 game season. We looked awful a lot of last season, but a few wins at the end of the season and some had us heading for the champions league places this season.
A slow start after only 6 games and now some have us doomed and heading for the trap door

Last edited:
Only a few days ago I posted a comment expressing support for OG's belief in Kamada. After today's match, I'm questioning myself... His lazy pass was almost unforgivable from that position, but his apparent indifference was worse. Guehi seemed much more upset by the mistake than Kamada.

Interesting stat: Since Wolves got promoted and they sold their two best players this summer, only Palace and Brighton have a lower net transfer spend. I can't understand why we got Kamada on high wages, other than he was on a free; we would have been much better off trusting Ozoh and giving him the game time, with Hughes or Lerma or Doucoure, to partner Wharton.

Kamada is one of the worst players I’ve seen in 30 years. Settling in excuse has to end. He’s absolute garbage and the fact he’s one of our highest paid payers is a farce.

He can’t pass, he can’t tackle, he’s been responsible for a couple of goals already. For sanctioning this signing alone I’d be happy for Glasner to get the boot

How many outfield players are currently playing in their correct/preferred position?
It could be argued just,
Munoz,
Wharton,
Mateta.
Guehi has always played more on the left rather than the centre.
He's no Anderson as a distributor from.the back.
I'm not sure about Lacroix, but believe he played in the centre at his previous clubs.
Lerma is primarily a midfielder.
Mitchell is a left back as opposed to a LWB.
I'm unsure what Kamada is, but he's not one of a midfield 2.
Nketiah is a central striker.
Eze can do a job as a front 3 player but never looks entirely comfortable there.

This looks to me pretty basic, although some on here may argue that players shpuld be more adaptable and that Glasner must know what he's doing .

Perhaps someone can try to explain the seemingly odd choices?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, kept Anderson sold Ghehi, allowed Glasner to go to Bayern for serious compo... looks like another nail biting season and hoping for 3 worse teams. The joys of being a Palace fan

Let’s be honest, it would be strange without it though. 😀

It never changes though does it? Some seem to forget it’s a 38 game season. We looked awful a lot of last season, but a few wins at the end of the season and some had us heading for the champions league places this season.
A slow start after only 6 games and now some have us doomed and heading for the trap door
It might be strange but would be so nice!! I'm 67 but 55 years of supporting Palace have left me looking like I'm 87 with a MOTD phobia!

Back