• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Crystal Palace vs Tottenham match thread

So much more energy today, pressed them into a lot of mistakes at the back, I thought Lacroix was excellent at the back for us, Munoz and Wharton top quality again as well. Shame Eze’s still off it a bit, I even said to my mate he needs dropping for Schlupp at the moment 😳 never thought I’d be saying that
But all in all, like watching a different team again, spurs were very spursy today, very flakey, but a good performance from us all the same
I assume you were drunk. He made the goal with a great assist, scored a marginally-offside goal and probably should have had a penalty

That's more like the team we saw at the latter stages of last season. From the off the forward three closed down with more aggression and intent (and we all know that a press starts with the forward line). Sarr is a far better option on the right than anybody we have tried there this season, and I think Munoz benefitted from his play too. Mateta, looked like his old self too, he closes down much more effectively than Nketiah, he needs to improve this side of his play before he can be let back into the team. Regard Lacriox he looks much more assured in the centre of the three CB's, the balance looks better to me. He's more aggressive in the box too than the others. I can see him being a captain of the future for Palace. I think this back three will be an upgrade for sure. I don't see Guehi as a natural leader, vice captain yes, but for me I love having a blood and guts captain.

One HUGE amount of praise must go to OG and the coaches, because this team looked up for it from the get go. Could this result be our Liverpool moment of last year? Time will tell. Its funny how momentum and confidence can ebb and flow in performances. Lets hope we have turned the corner and start climbing the table.

COYP

On a slightly negative note, personally I would have preferred Schlupp as a late starter to Kamada. The team had been immense all day, and I was filled with dread when I saw Kamada on the touchline. As it turned out, it worked out fine. I just think he hasn't quite got the 'Palace" heart beat yet. Im really hoping he remains a bench player from now on.

Premier league highlights don’t do the game justice. Makes it look like Spurs had us on the ropes but we were far the more threatening team throughout. Having seen the potential penalty again I’m no so sure though. I was sitting right in front of it and it looked obvious but having watched it back there’s not a lot in it. Think he should have made up his mind what he wanted to do. He’s still playing with little confidence, indecision and holding onto the ball far too long. I know Eze got a beautiful assist and an offside goal but he’s still miles away from what we need from him. Having said that though, every other player on the pitch looked confident, composed and played brilliantly. The scoreline flattered Spurs and they can consider themselves very lucky it wasn’t 4-0. I can see us picking up points over the next couple of games (fingers crossed) and then we’ll be good to go for some tough December fixtures. COYP

Premier league highlights don’t do the game justice. Makes it look like Spurs had us on the ropes but we were far the more threatening team throughout. Having seen the potential penalty again I’m no so sure though. I was sitting right in front of it and it looked obvious but having watched it back there’s not a lot in it. Think he should have made up his mind what he wanted to do. He’s still playing with little confidence, indecision and holding onto the ball far too long. I know Eze got a beautiful assist and an offside goal but he’s still miles away from what we need from him. Having said that though, every other player on the pitch looked confident, composed and played brilliantly. The scoreline flattered Spurs and they can consider themselves very lucky it wasn’t 4-0. I can see us picking up points over the next couple of games (fingers crossed) and then we’ll be good to go for some tough December fixtures. COYP
I’ve only seen it a few times at full speed but for me it looked like there was a trip by the furthest away defender although everyone on tv was talking about a shirt pull (which I agree was negligible) rather than the trip. I’d need to see it in slow motion.

At last we saw a version of the performances we enjoyed so much at the end of last season.

Sarr brings a balance to the team, and it looks like OG has realised that Lacroix is best employed in the centre of a back three.

1-0 didn't really do us justice as, noticeably, Munoz and Wharton were back to near their best. I'm sure Wharton played for longer than originally intended due to Lermas injury.

I couldn't help but wonder why the high press and the energy that ran through the team hasn't previously been in evidence this season....

Anyway, some confidence restored and a platform to build upon.

Spurs were an easier team to play because they play suicide football. On paper, we had a better team on the pitch.
Our finishing is still abysmal, but at least this will help to build a bit of confidence. It is now critical that we take that to Wolves.

Just watched the extended highlights (and listened on radio as couldn't make it to london yesterday) . Team played together for each other and beat one of best teams in the league. Cause for total celebration. Munoz and Wharton wonderful. Lecroix and Saar looking really good buys. Looking forward to steady push up the table. Starting at Molineux. And having a right go at Villa to keep the momentum going. Delighted for Glasner. Top bloke. Was looking quite shaken the longer this bad run went on.

Premier league highlights don’t do the game justice.Makes it look like Spurs had us on the ropes but we were far the more threatening team throughout. Having seen the potential penalty again I’m no so sure though. I was sitting right in front of it and it looked obvious but having watched it back there’s not a lot in it. Think he should have made up his mind what he wanted to do. He’s still playing with little confidence, indecision and holding onto the ball far too long. I know Eze got a beautiful assist and an offside goal but he’s still miles away from what we need from him. Having said that though, every other player on the pitch looked confident, composed and played brilliantly. The scoreline flattered Spurs and they can consider themselves very lucky it wasn’t 4-0. I can see us picking up points over the next couple of games (fingers crossed) and then we’ll be good to go for some tough December fixtures. COYP

Yes I thought that, to be fair though, I think they did get all the big chances of the game in from both sides.
I don’t watch MOTD anymore, so those 2 or 3 minute highlights for every game are just the job.

I assume you were drunk. He made the goal with a great assist, scored a marginally-offside goal and probably should have had a penalty

Funny how you can big up a performance by picking out three incidents, yes I’ll give you the flick, but the offside and falling over in the penalty area I’m not having 😀
You’ve obviously been drunker than me if you’ve missed his general all round play and the big chances he’s missed this season.
We won the game and played well, but Eze needs a shake up I’m afraid

That's more like the team we saw at the latter stages of last season. From the off the forward three closed down with more aggression and intent (and we all know that a press starts with the forward line). Sarr is a far better option on the right than anybody we have tried there this season, and I think Munoz benefitted from his play too. Mateta, looked like his old self too, he closes down much more effectively than Nketiah, he needs to improve this side of his play before he can be let back into the team. Regard Lacriox he looks much more assured in the centre of the three CB's, the balance looks better to me. He's more aggressive in the box too than the others. I can see him being a captain of the future for Palace. I think this back three will be an upgrade for sure. I don't see Guehi as a natural leader, vice captain yes, but for me I love having a blood and guts captain.

One HUGE amount of praise must go to OG and the coaches, because this team looked up for it from the get go. Could this result be our Liverpool moment of last year? Time will tell. Its funny how momentum and confidence can ebb and flow in performances. Lets hope we have turned the corner and start climbing the table.

COYP
Its been a while since the team was applauded off the field at half time, the stadium was up for it, you could feel the anticipation that we had returned to the high pressing game, spurs had very few answers to being bullied in their own box & we brought more energy to the fixture, a welcome return on all fronts.

The whole team performed well. Henderson looked assured. The back three were solid with Guehi looking much better on the left, Lacroix immense in the middle, and Chalobah calm on the right. Munoz was back to his best, his press on Van de Ven for the goal was brilliant. Mitchell kept Johnson quiet. Hughes is a revelation and Wharton looked more like his old self. Eze is getting better but needs to find his shooting boots. He made Maddison look poor though. Sarr worked well with Munoz and Eze, and JP was JP.
Kamada is best used as a sub for Sarr or Eze at the moment, though might get a start midweek. Nketiah is the one I’m unsure about. He should have been suited to playing against Spuds with runs behind but probably needs to be either a lone striker sub for JP when we need something different or alongside JP in a 4-4-2. Probably a bench player going forward.

Funny how you can big up a performance by picking out three incidents, yes I’ll give you the flick, but the offside and falling over in the penalty area I’m not having 😀
You’ve obviously been drunker than me if you’ve missed his general all round play and the big chances he’s missed this season.
We won the game and played well, but Eze needs a shake up I’m afraid
Ebbs has been wretchedly unlucky. The disallowed goal at Brentford because the ref blew for a foul (which wasn't a foul) too early. Hit the underside of the crossbar v West Ham. Shot diverted onto to crossbar at Nottm Forest. If any of those had gone in, it would most likely have turned the match. These narrow misses must affect his confidence, but I thought he had it back yesterday. He and JP were linking together well too, just as they did at the end of last season.

No other player in our squad than Eze has the confidence or ability to get the assist that Eze got yesterday. He may not be peak Eze at the moment but he is still the difference maker. Like the team, I think he has just lacked a bit of self belief. Maybe it's because he has only one goal, or maybe he feels a bit low seeing Olise thriving and him having not attracted any offers in the summer. Whatever the case, I have every faith we'll be bowing at his feet again before long. If the team carries yesterday's performance into the next few games then I expect to see him getting back into full flow again as he does seem to be a player who shines when the team shines. Did I really see someone suggest he should have been replaced by Schlupp in the starting line-up, or did I get a head injury?

Big credit to the team and manager for yesterday's performance. I'll admit I was fearful when I saw the lineup with only a midfield of 2 including Wharton carrying an injury but him and Hughes put in an incredible shift. When we continued to miss chances to go two up and the ref gave Kulusevski about 3 chances not to receive a second yellow I thought we were going to somehow throw it away but we stayed strong.

Standout performances from Lacroix, Hughes and Wharton but overall the whole team was a few levels above what they have been. We did tire at the end and Hughes is our only remaining fully fit CM... hopefully Doucouré is going to get himself fully fit soon.

I wouldn't mind us resting both fullbacks, Hughes, Wharton Eze and Mateta against Villa so that they can be fully charged for the important wolves game.

Ebbs has been wretchedly unlucky. The disallowed goal at Brentford because the ref blew for a foul (which wasn't a foul) too early. Hit the underside of the crossbar v West Ham. Shot diverted onto to crossbar at Nottm Forest. If any of those had gone in, it would most likely have turned the match. These narrow misses must affect his confidence, but I thought he had it back yesterday. He and JP were linking together well too, just as they did at the end of last season.

Yes I know it might be harsh because he has been unlucky as well, but I just think he’s way off the great player we know he can be with his all round play and the missed big chances have mounted up and cost us, but I know if a couple of these long range efforts in recent games had flown in he’s a hero.
I didn’t mean it to be a negative after a good team performance and result, it was just a comment earlier that he needed a shake up that got picked up on

I’ve only seen it a few times at full speed but for me it looked like there was a trip by the furthest away defender although everyone on tv was talking about a shirt pull (which I agree was negligible) rather than the trip. I’d need to see it in slow motion.
There was definitely a trip. Fed up with “negligible” shirt pulls ( think Guehi) anywhere else on the pitch it’s a foul. Is shirt pulling a foul or not? Seems to depend who is on the receiving end

As others have said Sarr playing gave Munoz more freedom and Chalobah was waiting behind them with all three closing down effectively. The left side still needs attention but Guehi looked more comfortable there and LaCroix is really growing into his position.
It was a bit of a relief Son wasn't playing but things look brighter all round.

Back