• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Crystal Palace vs Tottenham match thread

There was definitely a trip. Fed up with “negligible” shirt pulls ( think Guehi) anywhere else on the pitch it’s a foul. Is shirt pulling a foul or not? Seems to depend who is on the receiving end
No doubt Dermot Gallagher will clear it all up on Refwatch by explaining how the officials got it all right.
Recently he's been waffling on about "extended shirt pulling" as opposed to a quick tug (ooh, er, missus).

There was definitely a trip. Fed up with “negligible” shirt pulls ( think Guehi) anywhere else on the pitch it’s a foul. Is shirt pulling a foul or not? Seems to depend who is on the receiving end
Dependant on whether the shirt pull has the effect of holding up an opponent, and if so it is punishable by a direct free kick.
On occasions one will witness a tug of the shirt but the instigator lets go in short order and invariably in such instances a foul is not awarded.No "Extended shirt pulling".

Whoever is on the receiving end is totally irrelevant, referees make judgements irrespective of the players involved but of course there are those who advance the argument that certain clubs and individuals get preferential treatment which is total hogwash.

No doubt Dermot Gallagher will clear it all up on Refwatch by explaining how the officials got it all right.
Recently he's been waffling on about "extended shirt pulling" as opposed to a quick tug (ooh, er, missus).
Can anyone, or does anyone, take Refwatch seriously? It's more like Dermot Goebbels' Premier League propaganda machine. Oh look, every decision is in fact correct, in a soft voice.
I guess the overall point is that refereeing and VAR is about as poor as ever. And the rules seem to be written by a ghost writer for Jeffrey Archer.

No other player in our squad than Eze has the confidence or ability to get the assist that Eze got yesterday. He may not be peak Eze at the moment but he is still the difference maker. Like the team, I think he has just lacked a bit of self belief. Maybe it's because he has only one goal, or maybe he feels a bit low seeing Olise thriving and him having not attracted any offers in the summer. Whatever the case, I have every faith we'll be bowing at his feet again before long. If the team carries yesterday's performance into the next few games then I expect to see him getting back into full flow again as he does seem to be a player who shines when the team shines. Did I really see someone suggest he should have been replaced by Schlupp in the starting line-up, or did I get a head injury?

Assist was seriously good. 99% of players aren't even thinking that let alone attempting it or pulling it off. Magic.

Lets hope that he can take some confidence from it and kick on.

Lacroix has improved game on game and this move to the centre certainly suits him. Doesn't seam like much of a switch, but ensures he has a pretty consistent view of the game, vs constantly getting pulled in and out.

Can anyone, or does anyone, take Refwatch seriously? It's more like Dermot Goebbels' Premier League propaganda machine. Oh look, every decision is in fact correct, in a soft voice.
I guess the overall point is that refereeing and VAR is about as poor as ever. And the rules seem to be written by a ghost writer for Jeffrey Archer.
We are certainly not 'Birds on the same twig' on this matter.
The media and broadcasters highlight all the contentious decisions which give an overall negative impression.

I do believe that the concept of "Clear and obvious" is a difficulty for the VARs who have to form a judgement one way or the other and such decisions of course gallivant down the path of subjectivity.

Dependant on whether the shirt pull has the effect of holding up an opponent, and if so it is punishable by a direct free kick.
On occasions one will witness a tug of the shirt but the instigator lets go in short order and invariably in such instances a foul is not awarded.No "Extended shirt pulling".

Whoever is on the receiving end is totally irrelevant, referees make judgements irrespective of the players involved but of course there are those who advance the argument that certain clubs and individuals get preferential treatment which is total hogwash.
Perhaps you should send your findings to Gary O’Neil! A shirt tug in the middle of the pitch invariably results in a free kick and potential yellow card. The shirt pull was obviously done to stop Eze who had sent 2 defenders in to no man’s land, watch his leg get caught as well

Assist was seriously good. 99% of players aren't even thinking that let alone attempting it or pulling it off. Magic.

Lets hope that he can take some confidence from it and kick on.

Lacroix has improved game on game and this move to the centre certainly suits him. Doesn't seam like much of a switch, but ensures he has a pretty consistent view of the game, vs constantly getting pulled in and out.
Centre suits Lacroix although he appeared outside both Chalobah and Guehi on occasion to help out, in one case making a great last ditch tackle. I thought he played really well and alongside Hughes and Wharton one of the best players on the pitch.

I think you are correct. Too much close quarter scrutiny to get away with it. Gone are the days when a ref would add 2 minutes on to the end of a match and man utd somehow score the winner in the 7th added minute.

Perhaps you should send your findings to Gary O’Neil! A shirt tug in the middle of the pitch invariably results in a free kick and potential yellow card. The shirt pull was obviously done to stop Eze who had sent 2 defenders in to no man’s land, watch his leg get caught as well
Win some lose some. Bad refereeing is spread throughout the season. Just listen to "6-0-6" on R5 (don't! its execrable) and listen to the top 6 supporters (and Newcastle) - nobody else gets through - whining about the refs being against them!!

Stephen Warnock often disagrees with Gallagher and explains decisions from a players' perspective which is different to that of a referee. And not just to criticise decisions they make but also situations they miss.

Back