• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Chelsea v CPFC Match Thread

Jordan Ayew played in over 200 games for our club.
Although of course he was not a prolific goalscorer, overall he was an asset to the club.
I believe he will get a warm reception if he plays for Leicester in our next game.
We've certainly paid a lot more for much less of a return than Jordan provided.

ClearlyOnesUh oh, classic post window protest from the manager by naming four kids on the bench.

Ollie's not happy!
Palace are down to the bare bones hence the kids on the bench. Glasner looked very stressed. Theoretically the international break should give him time to work with the new players but some will be away with their national teams. Mateta clearly needs a break having played a lot of football over tge summer. Some standout performances. Henderson is world class, and Eze too. Wharton had a good game and great to see Decoure back

I was at the game and we absolutely rode our luck in the first half.
Once Hughes went off and Doucoure came on we looked far batter.
Wharton and Hughes don't work because they are both quite slow, plus, despite his end to last season, Hughes is not up to it at this level now in my opinion.
Lerma, Wharton and Doucoure are way above him.
Eze's goal was great but I thought he had a bad game overall - but you can't argue when he scores a goal like that!
Kamada - I am not sure what to think but it is early days.
Mateta will get a rest when Nketiah starts.
Very happy with a point and but for the ref and linesman at the Brentford game we would have four on the board now.

Very happy with a point and but for the ref and linesman at the Brentford game we would have four on the board now.
But maybe yesterday' s ref remembered Glasner's praise of the Brentford ref's honesty for admitting his failure after the game. Especially yesterday in the second half when Hughes comitted the foul close to our box, which should have written "second yellow" all over it in my opinion.

I was at the game and we absolutely rode our luck in the first half.
Once Hughes went off and Doucoure came on we looked far batter.
Wharton and Hughes don't work because they are both quite slow, plus, despite his end to last season, Hughes is not up to it at this level now in my opinion.
Lerma, Wharton and Doucoure are way above him.
Eze's goal was great but I thought he had a bad game overall - but you can't argue when he scores a goal like that!
Kamada - I am not sure what to think but it is early days.
Mateta will get a rest when Nketiah starts.
Doucoure seems to give Wharton a lot more freedom and, as you say, is a better player than Hughes anyway so it's good he's coming back.
Hopefully our new defenders will add some solidity and might offer a goal threat from corners, etc, for a change.
Impression from TV is that Kamada is improving - did it look like that live?

Doucoure seems to give Wharton a lot more freedom and, as you say, is a better player than Hughes anyway so it's good he's coming back.
Hopefully our new defenders will add some solidity and might offer a goal threat from corners, etc, for a change.
Impression from TV is that Kamada is improving - did it look like that live?

It did actually, even my ultra critical mate said that at the end

After the last few years in which we have had no luck against Chelsea, we got some yesterday.

In particular the referee not giving Hughes a second yellow.

After a too passive first half, we got at Chelsea more as the game wore on. Munoz was causing them problems with his energy and movement down the right flank.

Re Hughes ; in possession he's tidy enough. Out of possession his lack of pace at this level is shown up all too often. A fully fit Doucoure should take his place - he put in a good shift yesterday and looked like his old self.

Henderson had perhaps his best game in a Palace shirt.

Overall a hard earned, but I thought deserved, point.

kamada is getting better with every game, it would be nice if smiled a bit more i think we have the making s of a really good team and a great manager

A lot has been made about Hughes not getting a second yellow, but it was hardly a nasty challenge. Also, Chelsea players twice dived to try and get a second yellow for him (on one occasion Hughes berated the player for trying to simulate) so maybe that also influenced the ref. Also, referees in general are far more lenient when players are already booked and that is fairly consistent across the games I see and have seen this season. You very rarely see a ref book a player for a foul and then the next foul they send them off, unless it is a reckless challenge. It's different when it's dissent (like kicking the ball away) as that is a blanket yellow.

As to the game, a great result and a strong second half. Most players were good without being great with Henderson the clear motm for me. Doucoure appeared to be the big difference maker though getting a toe on everything. Let's hope he can stay fit. Exciting times!

kamada is getting better with every game, it would be nice if smiled a bit more i think we have the making s of a really good team and a great manager
We're looking in pretty good shape, particularly with the new signings who will hopefully settle in quicky.
As for Kamada's expression- I'm not too bothered. Let Ebs do the smiling, he's good at it. Kamada could look like Roy Keane with a parking ticket as long as he continues to improve.

After the last few years in which we have had no luck against Chelsea, we got some yesterday.

In particular the referee not giving Hughes a second yellow.

After a too passive first half, we got at Chelsea more as the game wore on. Munoz was causing them problems with his energy and movement down the right flank.

Re Hughes ; in possession he's tidy enough. Out of possession his lack of pace at this level is shown up all too often. A fully fit Doucoure should take his place - he put in a good shift yesterday and looked like his old self.

Henderson had perhaps his best game in a Palace shirt.

Overall a hard earned, but I thought deserved, point.

I wholly endorse these sentiments, in actual fact I made such an observation to a supporter last night.

What particularly impressed me was from around the 80th minute or so we clearly aimed to see out the game and be happy with the point. Given there were 8 minutes of injury time i can only remember 1 really good chance falling Chelsea's way and we looked pretty resilient in the period and even had the odd chance to nick the game. If we can replicate this resilience going forward it will help us protect leads and pick up points.
Player wise i thought both Kamada and Munoz got better as the match went on. Munoz is a real star. Has both quality on the ball, a great engine and is combative but in a good way. He looked a bit off the pace in first couple of games but given he has a long season due to Columbia reaching the Copa America final he would have had a late start to pre-season.
The other shout out is to Nathanial Clyne. The back 3 system seems to suit him. In this game and in the games at the back end of the season he played regularly and did not let anyone down. Given he did not start in the first couple of games he put in a solid performance against a talented Chelsea forward line.

Kamada did look better and we have to remember that no one could replace Olise - he was just too good.
When he gets his relationship better with Munoz then we will look better.
As we have all said - Hughes going off was a game changer.
The ref did us a favour, especially when you see what happened to Declan Rice on Saturday.

Kamada did look better and we have to remember that no one could replace Olise - he was just too good.
When he gets his relationship better with Munoz then we will look better.
As we have all said - Hughes going off was a game changer.
The ref did us a favour, especially when you see what happened to Declan Rice on Saturday.
After the game OG tried to take the blame for Hughes's near red card, and subbed him after it. He's certainly protective of his players.

What particularly impressed me was from around the 80th minute or so we clearly aimed to see out the game and be happy with the point. Given there were 8 minutes of injury time i can only remember 1 really good chance falling Chelsea's way and we looked pretty resilient in the period and even had the odd chance to nick the game. If we can replicate this resilience going forward it will help us protect leads and pick up points.
Player wise i thought both Kamada and Munoz got better as the match went on. Munoz is a real star. Has both quality on the ball, a great engine and is combative but in a good way. He looked a bit off the pace in first couple of games but given he has a long season due to Columbia reaching the Copa America final he would have had a late start to pre-season.
The other shout out is to Nathanial Clyne. The back 3 system seems to suit him. In this game and in the games at the back end of the season he played regularly and did not let anyone down. Given he did not start in the first couple of games he put in a solid performance against a talented Chelsea forward line.

Agree about Clyne’s good performance in the right of the back 3.
He’ll likely lose his place when the the new defenders are settled in, but to my mind Munoz plays better with Clyne behind him and we look more balanced as a team.

It was pleasing to see Doucoure show some of his old form and also a lively cameo from Sarr who offers something different to the rest of the squad.

We deserved a point on the strength of the second half performance.

Agreed and especially with your last paragraph regarding Clyne. Sadly we now have players that have come in to make him playing less likely. He could play in that position for a couple more seasons yet but alas not for us :-(

After the game OG tried to take the blame for Hughes's near red card, and subbed him after it. He's certainly protective of his players.
Well, he has to take some blame as one of his assistants advised him during the break to take Hughes off. Hughes was also restricted to take “one for the team” when they were on the break for the 1:0 because he had already been carded.

Palace are down to the bare bones hence the kids on the bench. Glasner looked very stressed. Theoretically the international break should give him time to work with the new players but some will be away with their national teams. Mateta clearly needs a break having played a lot of football over tge summer. Some standout performances. Henderson is world class, and Eze too. Wharton had a good game and great to see Decoure back
Are we and is that why?

Only 2 injuries, both short term.

Could it be that we are finally seeing the beginnings of the academy feeding into the first team.

Well, he has to take some blame as one of his assistants advised him during the break to take Hughes off. Hughes was also restricted to take “one for the team” when they were on the break for the 1:0 because he had already been carded.
Yep probably should have gone at HT.

The way Hughes plays, he's just a bit of a liability when on a yellow. Thankfully we are now at a point where we have 4 good CM's so can afford to rotate as needed.

6th Highest Crystal Palace Premier League goal scorer in history

But if it makes you feel good piling on the hate for him then I guess go for it?

I think Eze just equalled him
No hate from me. Said he was a useful player. Read my original post, and what I was referring to. I’m just saying, he’s not that talented. And while he maybe our 6th highest for PL goal scorer - that merely shows how rubbish we’ve been in the PL era. Football didn’t start in 1990, at least not for me.

Last edited:
Back