• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Chelsea v CPFC Match Thread

To put that in context, we already had Sam Johnstone and signing Henderson for £20m made little sense at that time.
There were rumours at time that Johnstone was unhappy and was pressing for a move and Guita wanted to leave. We then bought another Number 1 goalkeeper. He then signed a new contract which indicated he was content, so who knows truth. The fact is we could never longterm keep both happy. All EPL squads have 3 keepers so we needed a short-term replacement ie Turner. Our 2 young keepers are on loan to get first team experience and youngster we have acquired for U21 is probably not capable of playing in EPL

Doucoure seems to give Wharton a lot more freedom and, as you say, is a better player than Hughes anyway so it's good he's coming back.
Hopefully our new defenders will add some solidity and might offer a goal threat from corners, etc, for a change.
Impression from TV is that Kamada is improving - did it look like that live?
I'm not sure I agree with this. Hughes has far more spatial awareness than Doucoure and is better at intricate passing and seems to get forward more often when required. Sure, he's not as athletic and fast but I'd generally start him and see how things go. Perhaps a horses for courses approach depending on the opposition is what's best. He definately should have been replaced at half time though.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Hughes has far more spatial awareness than Doucoure and is better at intricate passing and seems to get forward more often when required. Sure, he's not as athletic and fast but I'd generally start him and see how things go. Perhaps a horses for courses approach depending on the opposition is what's best. He definately should have been replaced at half time though.

We did look far better with the Douc on the pitch, they even discussed the point on tv how douc and Wharton seemed to click straight away

Nothing against Hughes who's a valuable squad player who tries hard but I think Doucoure gives us a more solid midfield. Hughes' relative lack of pace exposes him and makes him liable to commit unnecessary fouls, although maybe the anticipated speed of the new central defenders will help him.
Yes, there are circumstances and games that might suit him but generally I think Doucoure's presence is a better bet.

Obvisouly on the way back from a long injury, but Doucoure seams to be dawdling a little on the ball, and wanting an extra sec.

Sure with a little more match sharpness he'll be the 1st choice CM.

Kind of agree, but equally he didn't give the ball to the opposition. Had a massive space ahead of him and had a good pass. It was Mateta's back pass that led to the quick break.
I'd agree with this. It was the makiongs of a real chance for us. Moreover I question if Chelsea would have scored from their break if Doucoure or Lerma had been playing.

Nothing against Hughes who's a valuable squad player who tries hard but I think Doucoure gives us a more solid midfield. Hughes' relative lack of pace exposes him and makes him liable to commit unnecessary fouls, although maybe the anticipated speed of the new central defenders will help him.
Yes, there are circumstances and games that might suit him but generally I think Doucoure's presence is a better bet.
All day long now he seems to be getting up to speed.

Back