• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Chelsea v CPFC Match Thread

After the last few years in which we have had no luck against Chelsea, we got some yesterday.

In particular the referee not giving Hughes a second yellow.

After a too passive first half, we got at Chelsea more as the game wore on. Munoz was causing them problems with his energy and movement down the right flank.

Re Hughes ; in possession he's tidy enough. Out of possession his lack of pace at this level is shown up all too often. A fully fit Doucoure should take his place - he put in a good shift yesterday and looked like his old self.

Henderson had perhaps his best game in a Palace shirt.

Overall a hard earned, but I thought deserved, point.
Recall the barrage of abuse aimed at the club after we paid £20m for him?

kamada is getting better with every game, it would be nice if smiled a bit more i think we have the making s of a really good team and a great manager
Loved it when he scored against Norwich and was trying to play it cool until JP gave him a big hug and he let a little smile out.

Palace are down to the bare bones hence the kids on the bench. Glasner looked very stressed. Theoretically the international break should give him time to work with the new players but some will be away with their national teams. Mateta clearly needs a break having played a lot of football over tge summer. Some standout performances. Henderson is world class, and Eze too. Wharton had a good game and great to see Decoure back

We’ve addressed that with the three new signings, none of which featured yesterday.
As for Glasner looking stressed, I would’ve been surprised in the heat of battle to see him looking laid back and relaxed on the touchline

Nothing to do with this thread, but not worth starting a new one, paricularly as I may have missed what I'm asking about. What is the situation with Riad? I think has a knee injury, but what? how serious?

To put that in context, we already had Sam Johnstone and signing Henderson for £20m made little sense at that time.
Yes, that's right, and when we did the Johnstone Vs Henderson thing I was 100% behind Johnstone and was very disappointed to see him leave.

However, Henderson was on fire yesterday and clearly deserved his MOTM award. Since the start of the season the lad has shown us why he is still in the England squad. Great keeper.

What particularly impressed me was from around the 80th minute or so we clearly aimed to see out the game and be happy with the point. Given there were 8 minutes of injury time i can only remember 1 really good chance falling Chelsea's way and we looked pretty resilient in the period and even had the odd chance to nick the game. If we can replicate this resilience going forward it will help us protect leads and pick up points.
Player wise i thought both Kamada and Munoz got better as the match went on. Munoz is a real star. Has both quality on the ball, a great engine and is combative but in a good way. He looked a bit off the pace in first couple of games but given he has a long season due to Columbia reaching the Copa America final he would have had a late start to pre-season.
The other shout out is to Nathanial Clyne. The back 3 system seems to suit him. In this game and in the games at the back end of the season he played regularly and did not let anyone down. Given he did not start in the first couple of games he put in a solid performance against a talented Chelsea forward line.
Agree with this. Kamada def improved as the match progressed. Munoz took it to them, which they couldn't handle comfortably, too. Clyne was a revelation and wouldn't have been far off Palace MOTM for me. What a campaigner he's been for us. To come out of his troublesome period at Anfield and then to re-invent himself at his boyhood club is great work, I think.

I was at the game and we absolutely rode our luck in the first half.
Once Hughes went off and Doucoure came on we looked far batter.
Wharton and Hughes don't work because they are both quite slow, plus, despite his end to last season, Hughes is not up to it at this level now in my opinion.
Lerma, Wharton and Doucoure are way above him.
Eze's goal was great but I thought he had a bad game overall - but you can't argue when he scores a goal like that!
Kamada - I am not sure what to think but it is early days.
Mateta will get a rest when Nketiah starts.
Very happy with a point and but for the ref and linesman at the Brentford game we would have four on the board now.
I envy you being able to attend the match. Can’t go to matches stm

But with 10 m for Johnstone it now means 10 for Henderson so not too bad. I think hendo long term is the best of the two.
Hendo was the difference between defeat and getting our first point of the season, world class saves kept us in the match

But with 10 m for Johnstone it now means 10 for Henderson so not too bad. I think hendo long term is the best of the two.
Not like that club who paid £72,000,000 for a goalkeeper and have now loaned him out to Bournemouth.
Their transfer business is usually so measured and reasonable as well.

Back