• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Your first Palace game live?

Palace 1 - 3 Everton in 2004. Despite going 1-0 up, new signing Speroni conceded a pen after he was caught on the ball and it was all downhill from there...

FA Cup 1965: Palace 3 Notts Forest 1
What a game to start your Palace career. I was unfortunately away at the time, but almost jumped for joy when I heard the result. I seem to memember that Dave Burnside had a lot to do with it.

Anyway, some contrast with my own inaugural game (see above) - home defeat to Colchester in the old Third Division South. 😕

1963 v Carlisle united, won 3.0 , remember the feeling going through the turnstiles and getting first view of the pitch, still there after all these years. I would like to think that I was one of the original reasons that Glad all over was adopted by the club, being one of the many youngsters banging the advertising boards when said tune was played over the tannoy system purely because it was a popular tune at the time (Many thanks to Ralph Stanton who took me to that first game ) As they say it's now in my blood

December 1975, FA Cup replay v Millwall. 2-1 Palace IIRC.
As a travelling kiwi, flatting in Streatham, it was my first experience of a stadium in full song. Absolutely Electrifying!!

During that 1975-76 season I did get to see Alan Whittle and a very young Peter Taylor. Also Swindles scoring with different body parts, knee, shoulder, chest, etc it was a fun topic at work on Monday mornings.

Palace v Southampton FA Cup Jan/Feb (ish) 1974. Went to the game with some local relatives and Palace won 3-0 and looked good. Having enjoyed that, I went to the next home game (I think) which was a 2-0 win over Chelsea. Jim Cannon made his debut and scored. I was hooked - it's Palace for me. Despite Malcolm Allison becoming manager, we got relegated that season and the next. In the old Div 3 (League 1 now), even though I lived in West London, I went to virtually all home and way games. It's not often supporting Palace has felt like being a big fish in a small pond!

Perhaps, like many others, that first game started an obsession. Results still affect my mood and I get very nervous whenever we are ahead and trying to see a game out. My wish now is for us to win a cup or have at least one season in Europe. That doesn't seem too unrealistic at the moment.
The Southampton tie was actually 2-0. It was the 3rd round so was our first match of 1974, so yes; January. Our previous home game was on Boxing Day, also against Southampton and we won 3-0. And the previous home game to that was 5-0 against ManU. Those were the days, eh?

Chelsea was much later, on 31 March, so there were a number of home games in between. That was our last league win of the season, unfortunately, as all optimism disappeared and we tumbled through the relegation trap-door. The distractions of the Anglo-Italian Cup (which we did quite well in) and the protracted FA Cup 4th round tie against Sheffield Wednesday, didn't help our league position.

EDIT: As subsequently pointed out by @Teddy Eagle , @Plumpton eagle was 1 year out in his recollection and I perpetuated that in my reply, above. Southampton in the FA Cup was January 1973 and Chelsea in the league was March 1973.

Last edited:
The Southampton tie was actually 2-0. It was the 3rd round so was our first match of 1974, so yes; January. Our previous home game was on Boxing Day, also against Southampton and we won 3-0. And the previous home game to that was 5-0 against ManU. Those were the days, eh?

Chelsea was much later, on 31 March, so there were a number of home games in between. That was our last league win of the season, unfortunately, as all optimism disappeared and we tumbled through the relegation trap-door. The distractions of the Anglo-Italian Cup (which we did quite well in) and the protracted FA Cup 4th round tie against Sheffield Wednesday, didn't help our league position.
Those games were a year earlier. The Man U win (of blessed memory) was in December 72 and the Chelsea game in March 73 - from memory it was the first time we'd beaten a London club in the league.

Those games were a year earlier. The Man U win (of blessed memory) was in December 72 and the Chelsea game in March 73 - from memory it was the first time we'd beaten a London club in the league.
You are right Teddy, sorry. I perpetuated the mistake in the original post. The Southampton cup-tie was indeed January 1973 and not 1974 (etc).

August 1962, home to Shrewsbury Town, under the lights, Palace in black-and-white strip, drew 2-2.
Loved it, so went again on the following Saturday, home to Brighton. Another 2-2 draw. And I was hooked.

To pick up on something @Teddy Eagle said; yes I believe he is right that the 2-0 win against Chelsea on 31 March 1973 was out first top flight win against another London team.

We would have to wait until September 1989 for our next one, against Wimbledon, relatively closely followed by one against Millwall.

To drop the average poster age by a few decades - Palace 1-1 Ipswich, January 13 1996 (according to the football database).

My memories include Dave Tuttle going down injured and my thinking it was some sort of horrific, war-like event, having a goal disallowed (Hopkin I think) and telling my Uncles I went to see 'Palace vs Italy' which resulted in me being ridiculed as a small child without them seeking or providing me with any clarification (Millwall fans for you).

December 1972, Palace 5 : Man United 0. Sat on my Dads shoulders at the back of the Whitehorse.
Yep my first game too , my brother in law tobe took me as i didn't really support anyone at that time , saw that game and thought anyone that beats man utd 5-0 is the team for me , oh how silly of me I didnt know about that was the start of the roller coaster ride , that has gone on for 53yrs 🤣🤣🤣

1969 Div 2 vs Middlesborough - a draw which I think it was enough to get us promoted to Div 1 for the first time. I was around 8yrs old and down the front of the Holmesdale and soon banging in the advertising hoardings along with all the other kids. Fond memories of a cinder path behind the goal covered in Mrs Minchilla's peanut shells. 'Peanuts for Sixpence'.

Blimey some old boys still going.
I feel like a youngster saying Fulham away 1978. First proper game. Before that had only been to Sutton United!!
My first was 1975 and I’ve always felt old on here, but these sort of threads do make me feel better, I wonder how some of the old buggers used to get to selhurst before the wheel was invented 🤣 🤣

Back