• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Thoughts on the window

Where would this hypothetical winger we should have bought played?
I'm liking your post because I admire someone who doesn't mind making themselves look stupid.

You do understand that there is a thing called a subs bench?

You don't have to play the whole squad at once. Just eleven at a time.

Olise dosent play on the wing he played CAM, on the right side of the two, cutting on to his left foot
Olise is a winger. So is Zaha. Have a word with yourself.

Oh, as Zaha and Olise, replacements are Sarr and Kamada as you say, why are they playing in the middle
Sarr is a winger. Kamada is a CAM, but he can play wide. I'm sure they would go in goal if they were asked to, but that is beside the point.

1. What Is A Winger In Soccer?

A “winger” in soccer is a player whose position on the field is on the sides (left or right) of the midfield, known for their pace and dribbling skills, and tasked with providing crosses into the penalty area and attacking down the flanks.

2. What Is An Attacking Midfielder?

An attacking midfielder traditionally occupies the space between the midfield and the attack, operating behind the strikers as a playmaker.

Thought this may help you understand, i appreciate it isn't easy

I was hoping to make a comment on Matt Turner on his thread in Transfer Talk, but the thread is now closed to further comments. What is the logic behind this?

As a Yank, I've seen a lot of Matt Turner, and he's an excellent keeper. Like the majority of Palace fans, I have a clear preference for Johnstone over Henderson, yet the latter has proven to be a fine keeper and an asset. We haven't forgotten his poor start, but we've forgiven it.

I consider Turner very similar to Henderson. Not great at distribution, but good at stopping shots. Turner is better than Henderson at taking charge in the box (admittedly a weakness of Hendo's) though his time at Forest gnawed at his confidence. I've seen a half dozen games at which Turner made reaction saves as good as Henderson's at Norwich this week. Over his career for the U.S. (he's been the #1 goalie for the for 4-5 years) Turner has been far more reliable than, say, Wayne Hennessey, whom I regarded as likable – and capable of dazzling games – but exasperatingly inconsistent. As a U.S. fan of Palace I'm happy that I'll be able to keep track of Turner, however, as U.S. fan I wish he belonged to a club where he would be starting 30 games a season.

I was hoping to make a comment on Matt Turner on his thread in Transfer Talk, but the thread is now closed to further comments. What is the logic behind this?

As a Yank, I've seen a lot of Matt Turner, and he's an excellent keeper. Like the majority of Palace fans, I have a clear preference for Johnstone over Henderson, yet the latter has proven to be a fine keeper and an asset. We haven't forgotten his poor start, but we've forgiven it.

I consider Turner very similar to Henderson. Not great at distribution, but good at stopping shots. Turner is better than Henderson at taking charge in the box (admittedly a weakness of Hendo's) though his time at Forest gnawed at his confidence. I've seen a half dozen games at which Turner made reaction saves as good as Henderson's at Norwich this week. Over his career for the U.S. (he's been the #1 goalie for the for 4-5 years) Turner has been far more reliable than, say, Wayne Hennessey, whom I regarded as likable – and capable of dazzling games – but exasperatingly inconsistent. As a U.S. fan of Palace I'm happy that I'll be able to keep track of Turner, however, as U.S. fan I wish he belonged to a club where he would be starting 30 games a season.
In answer to your bit in bold, it's because it was in Transfer Talk as he wasn't our player. Admin closed the thread because he is now our player. There is a new thread for Turner in Palace Talk.

A lateral thought on the window. Up until this window I saw PSR as a fairly obvious attempt by the big six to keep everyone else down. However, for the first time it seems to have worked in our favour. Newcastle clearly wanted Guehi but couldn’t stump up £70 million without risking sanctions. I suspect the same is true of Eze. Even when his release clause was active it proved too rich for possible buyers unless we were prepared to spread the payments.
It seems that PSR and release clauses can work in our favour when we have high quality players at the upper end of the price range.

A “winger” in soccer is a player whose position on the field is on the sides (left or right) of the midfield, known for their pace and dribbling skills, and tasked with providing crosses into the penalty area and attacking down the flanks.

An attacking midfielder traditionally occupies the space between the midfield and the attack, operating behind the strikers as a playmaker.

You two need to get a room and sort out your frustrations 😳🤔😂

This is all because you got it wrong about Guehi.

Writing in bold does not make you any more correct.

Olise plays on the wing. Eze is an attacking midfielder. Kamada is an attacking midfielder.

Get a grip.

Blimey teddy, can you imagine if he turns out a cross between Ian Wright and Andy Johnson for us, optimistic maybe, but I remember seeing Ian Wrights debut thinking he was a puff of nothing he won’t be any good and AJ had an early nickname of ‘fast but useless’ 🤣
So you never know, Arsenal fans seem to like Nketiah and they obviously see plenty of Wrighty to compare, so we live in hope
Wright had come from non-league - and it wasn't long before people could not understand why he wasn't starting. Nketiah has been playing in the Premier League for years, and is a known commodity. There is no comparison

Sadly I believe he’s signed an extension to 2026
The only way we would get anything for him is if his contract was extended. Maybe he will come good at Leicester and learn some of Vardy's skills but I wouldn't bet on it. It could be one of those loans where we insist he plays against us rather than the other way round

Going into the window and on the back of last year's finish, I was hopeful that if most of the following could happen, then European competition was in play

1) Keep Olise (which was admittedly whistling in the wind)
2) Sell Guehi - replacing him with a cheaper but established alternative - and use all the proceeds on purchases
3) Buy the best left-wing back available and leave Mitchell as backup LWB and LCB
4) Get a second string RWB
5) Sell one of Johnstone and Henderson
6) Upgrade Edouard
7) Get Schlupp and Ward off the books
8) Have better luck with injuries

So not that great to my mind especially as we have already lost 2 winnable games and teams we would have needed to finish ahead of, in Fulham, West Ham and Brighton, have significantly out-spent us.

4/10 for me
Yet another 10-15th finish with, hopefully, better progress in the cups

I think we need the extra revenue from the stand and ownership to be sorted before the next false dawn

Wright had come from non-league - and it wasn't long before people could not understand why he wasn't starting. Nketiah has been playing in the Premier League for years, and is a known commodity. There is no comparison

I’m not comparing, it’s pundits and some Arsenal fans, I think it was after he scored a hat trick against someone last season, his natural instinctive finishing more than anything

Back