• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Thoughts on the window

I am happy. I don’t have the experience of a lot of you. Only a couple of full seasons under my belt. But defence was sometimes painful to watch. So happy we changed a lot of it. I am excited for this season and looking forward to the next game at Selhurst Park.

Fair play. It's good to hear the view of someone with a fresh eye.

I think it is a fantastic window, i was certain Guehi was going to leave, but i think the most pleasing thing is he wanted to stay, Kamada, Sarr, Riad, Nketiah, Lacroix, Turner and possibly Chalobah,
Andersen, Ayew, Edouard, Johnstone, Ahamada out, I know Olise left but we didn't sell him, unfortunately it was his decision,
As Edouards contract finishes in the summer of 2025, hopefully we will never see him in a palace shirt
Another quality prediction. 😆

We didn't get a winger and a wing back.

I hope Mitchell doesn't get injured. Aside from that, a decent window except for losing Olise and Johnstone.

We will be 3 and 0 after this weekend, so a lot of work to do after the annoying international break.

One of our best and one that I think, most importantly, Ollie will be happy with.

Nketiah and Chalobah will fit in well with their mates Eze and Guehi. Pleased we hung on to Guehi, even if only till January, but I didn't feel the same elation as when Olise re-signed last year.

Without going into all the comings and goings it feels like we now have a much stronger squad of PL quality players, and our best ever manager.

Olise was always going to leave for a bigger club, it was just a case of when. We got him for an extra year and sold for decent money. He was injured prone, but I don't think we could ever replace him no matter who we bought.
I think Anderson was overrated. He was a good passer, tall, a leader and had a goal in him, but he was a bit slow, prone to an error and at his peak value; so sensible to cash in now and replace him with someone younger and more mobile.
Johnstone. We had two number one keepers and so one was always going to leave once they were both fit. Henderson might have hung around longer had the situation been the other way round.
Edouard does not score enough goals. He misses chances and is too static.
Ayew has only a year or two left in him at this level so sensible to cash in and allow someone else to play in his place who will improve rather than get worse. He was a great servant, gave 100% and reliable. Did not score enough goals though.
Tompkins and Jairo were past their best and only ever squad players that would have been unlikely to even make the bench this season.
The new players in look like upgrades on all that left but Olise, but unless we spent 100+ million he was irreplaceable.
Amazing few years which has seen the team transformed. Eze is now the third longest serving signed senior squad player (excluding promoted academy players Mitchell/Clyne etc). Only Schlupp (2017) and Ward (2012) were signed before Eze in 2020.
8 out 10 this window. Same as the least few.

The upside, we are now well stocked in the back 3 and midfield and the average age has again come down.

The downside, we are light on the left side and up front. You only need a suspension and an injury and we will have no one who can play CF unless you move Sarr, Eze or Franca there.

7/10 for me, but would have been a 8/10 if we had got a top left sided player in.

Mia Culpa, I said that we would not sign anyone else a few weeks back.

I can't remember a deadline day like this for Palace for many a year, normally the Sky TV man is so bored he is reporting that the milk float has arrived at Selhurst park.

Most of the signings seem good but we will see. As for the sales we managed to keep Guehi and Eze which are probably the most significant actions of the window for us.

I hope that OG is planning on playing both Eddie mk II and JPM that could be a bit spicy.

C'mon you Palace.

I can't remember a deadline day like this for Palace for many a year, normally the Sky TV man is so bored he is reporting that the milk float has arrived at Selhurst park.

Most of the signings seem good but we will see. As for the sales we managed to keep Guehi and Eze which are probably the most significant actions of the window for us.

I hope that OG is planning on playing both Eddie mk II and JPM that could be a bit spicy.

C'mon you Palace.
This! Dougie and his team will be out for a few weeks with Burn out! 😆😆

C'mon you Palace.
The BBC sports reporter for the main news was at Selhurst. OK he was there for the (non) sale of Guehi. Nevertheless shows where we are now.

It’s great stuff.

Olise was an enormous loss that you couldn’t just replace like for like and I’m still a big Andersen fan but he had plenty of faults. Would’ve loved a Mitchell upgrade myself.

The back three was looking perilous but now looks top notch, Johnstone going will hopefully settle the dressing room (Turner will know he’s very much a no.2), and replacing Edouard with Eddie is like trading an old Skoda for an Audi.

Also, I feel like we have two options for attacking play with Kamada (guile)/ Sarr (pace) and JPM (focal point)/Eddie (pacy fox).

We’re in a tough run of fixtures but that might not be the worst thing whilst team still gelling.

Keep the faith, COYP

It’s great stuff.

Olise was an enormous loss that you couldn’t just replace like for like and I’m still a big Andersen fan but he had plenty of faults. Would’ve loved a Mitchell upgrade myself.

The back three was looking perilous but now looks top notch, Johnstone going will hopefully settle the dressing room (Turner will know he’s very much a no.2), and replacing Edouard with Eddie is like trading an old Skoda for an Audi.

Also, I feel like we have two options for attacking play with Kamada (guile)/ Sarr (pace) and JPM (focal point)/Eddie (pacy fox).

We’re in a tough run of fixtures but that might not be the worst thing whilst team still gelling.

Keep the faith, COYP
If you ever decide to become a football manager, i'm going to come & watch you. Excellent summary. 🙂

We didn't get a winger and a wing back.

I hope Mitchell doesn't get injured. Aside from that, a decent window except for losing Olise and Johnstone.

We will be 3 and 0 after this weekend, so a lot of work to do after the annoying international break.
Err, we don't play with wingers, my prediction is that's why we didn't buy one.

The width comes from the full backs, the two CAMs cut inside, do you ever watch the games
So you think that Sarr or Kamada are a replacement for Olise or Zaha?

Back