• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The best covers of all time?

Sorry, but my mind keeps drifting towards bad covers. Who remembers those records sold at Woolworths on the Embassy label? Dreadful or what.

I've still got a couple of Embassy 78s that dad bought because he claimed they were 'as good as the original'. Of course, the real reason was that they were a lot cheaper.

Sorry, but my mind keeps drifting towards bad covers. Who remembers those records sold at Woolworths on the Embassy label? Dreadful or what.

I've still got a couple of Embassy 78s that dad bought because he claimed they were 'as good as the original'. Of course, the real reason was that they were a lot cheaper.
The Godsend was that they were really poor recordings too. No way would you want to hear it crystal clear, in stereo.

Terrible covers could have their own thread.

I suppose the best way to judge a coverer song is if it has become the 'standard' version.

I mentioned Rod Stewart earlier. His best covers have achieved that.
Joe Cocker's 'With a Little Help From My Friends' has arguably achieved that.

You don't think of anyone else but Blondie for 'Hanging On The Telephone' or 'Denis'.

You might not even realise that some are covers.

Sometimes, technology just produces a better sound. Van Halen's versions of Kinks songs rock. The old ones sound a bit feeble by comparison. That doesn't mean that credit shouldn't be given to the original artist. The Kinks, Beatles, Stones etc pretty much influenced all rock that came after, and they all started using influences from earlier years.

Another cover better than the original... 'Snoopy Versus The Red Barron' by The Hotshots. 😆

Terrible covers could have their own thread.

I suppose the best way to judge a coverer song is if it has become the 'standard' version.

I mentioned Rod Stewart earlier. His best covers have achieved that.
Joe Cocker's 'With a Little Help From My Friends' has arguably achieved that.

You don't think of anyone else but Blondie for 'Hanging On The Telephone' or 'Denis'.

You might not even realise that some are covers.

Sometimes, technology just produces a better sound. Van Halen's versions of Kinks songs rock. The old ones sound a bit feeble by comparison. That doesn't mean that credit shouldn't be given to the original artist. The Kinks, Beatles, Stones etc pretty much influenced all rock that came after, and they all started using influences from earlier years.

Another cover better than the original... 'Snoopy Versus The Red Barron' by The Hotshots. 😆
I think the Kinks were superb, and up their with anyone.

I think the Kinks were superb, and up their with anyone.
I don't feel safe in this world no more,
I don't want to die in a nuclear war,
I wanna sail away to a distant shore
and make like an apeman...

Apeman. I love that song. The first Kinks song I can remember hearing as a kid.

Last edited:
Back