• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The best covers of all time?

A good cover should stand up as a decent song in it's own right, not necessarily better than the original as this is subjective.
i.e Metallica's Whiskey in a Jar - (or their version of Budgie's Breadfan) are IMHO better that the original, but many would disagree!

Some of my favourite covers:
Hard to Handle - Black Crowes (Otis Reading)
Heroes - Motorhead (Bowie)
The Man who sold the world - Nirvana (Bowie)
Take on Me - Reel big fish (Aha)
Bad Romance - Halestorm (Lady Gaga)
Dance Monkey - 'Leo' (Tones and I)
Land of Confusion - Disturbed (Genesis)
I Will Survive - Cake (Gloria Gaynor)

Nice one Stirling. I've got a US 45 of Mr Postman coupled with Roll Over Beethoven on my jukebox - frequently played.

Adele's version Make Me Feel Your Love is a beautiful interpretation of Dylan's fine love song.

While we're at it, a cover I hate is Whitney Houston screeching I Will Always Love You.
That worst ever cover is undoubtably, Scissor Sisters-Comfortably Numb, they should be hung, drawn and quartered for that insult

Too many

All Along the Watchtower undoubtedly the best but...

Halleluiah - Jeff Buckley (Cohen)
Say a Little Prayer - Aretha Franklin (Warwick)
Respect - Aretha Franklin (Redding)
Mr Tambourine Man - The Byrds (Dylan)
Go Now - Moody Blues (Bessie Banks)
Black Steel - Tricky (Public Enemy)
Cant Take My Eyes off You - Andy Williams (4 Seasons)
Silence is Golden - Tremeloes (4 Seasons)
Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More - Walker Brothers (4 Seasons)
Working my Way Back to You - Detroit Spinners (4 Seasons)

As you can probably guess, I am rather fond of the one man pop song masterclass that is Bob Goudio (but I am not including Bye Bye Baby!).

i have heard many Covers of songs by Tom Waits. They never even touched the sides of his genius.

You are so correct, the best songwriter of any generation, the man is a true genius, for my money "Small Change" is the finest album i have ever heard, each song a masterpiece.

Back