• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The best covers of all time?

an utterly talentless fecker. Not in music nor in TV interview. Evidence that the pop industry has often little to do with merit or talent.

John Leydon, however..........now there is a bloke i could listen to talking all day.
Not nominated for his contribution but for Steve Jones' guitar playing. For me he was the best guitarist of his particular time except for Danny Kustow.
Which reminds me - not exactly a cover but Mike Dawes' acoustic version of Van Halen's Jump is a fine display of virtuosity if anyone likes that sort of thing.

There are loads of good covers. Covers of Dylan songs are usually better because the guy can't sing. Mr Tambourine Man by The Byrds, a well known example. Loads of others.

Rod Stewart was usually very good at interpreting other people's songs. All three versions of The First Cut is The Deepest are great, but Rod's is the best. Handbags and Glad Rags, Sailing, You Put Something Better Inside Me. All great.
ELO's version of Roll Over Beethoven is better than Berry or Beatles.
Jealous Guy by Roxy Music, very nice musically, but not as personal as Lennon's.

Led Zeppelin ripped off all sorts. Whole Lotta Love is a classic, but is just a reworking of a Small Faces track, You Need Loving, which was itself a rip off of a Muddy Waters song.

I'll put in a quick vote for Whispering Grass by Windsor Davis and Don Estelle. Better than the original. 🙂

You are so correct, the best songwriter of any generation, the man is a true genius, for my money "Small Change" is the finest album i have ever heard, each song a masterpiece.
Check out ' Grapefruit Moon ', album by Southside Johnny. Big band arrangements of Tom Waits songs ( TW guests on a couple ).

There are loads of good covers. Covers of Dylan songs are usually better because the guy can't sing. Mr Tambourine Man by The Byrds, a well known example. Loads of others.

Rod Stewart was usually very good at interpreting other people's songs. All three versions of The First Cut is The Deepest are great, but Rod's is the best. Handbags and Glad Rags, Sailing, You Put Something Better Inside Me. All great.
ELO's version of Roll Over Beethoven is better than Berry or Beatles.
Jealous Guy by Roxy Music, very nice musically, but not as personal as Lennon's.

Led Zeppelin ripped off all sorts. Whole Lotta Love is a classic, but is just a reworking of a Small Faces track, You Need Loving, which was itself a rip off of a Muddy Waters song.

I'll put in a quick vote for Whispering Grass by Windsor Davis and Don Estelle. Better than the original. 🙂
handbags /gladrags by chris farlow is also excellent & his version of paint it black

He did and it went to No. 1. Andrew Loog Oldham said they actually wrote it for him.

Thank you, I did not know that.

I mentioned Vanilla Fudge in an earlier post. They are well worth checking out for their covers, especially of the Beatles, and I'm sure it was them that did a brill cover of Donovan's Season of the Witch.

Racontaurs also did a fab cover of a Donovan song on their last album.

Back