• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Our present squad

One of the problems for a long time is the lack of a threat from set pieces. Particularly the ability for someone to win the first header from a corner. Perhaps this may change with the new signings. With Eze's delivery we should be getting more goals from this area.
Corners have been a problem for us for a while. Eze is a good set-piece taker, but, not so good(& wasted), on corners, bit like(loosely) when 'Milli' used to take everything. Olise was good at corners & used to have a short corner routine with Eze, personally I'd like to see Eze on the edge of the box or utilising a scr, just my opinion, others are available.

Maybe give 1 or 2 players a rest against QPR and go with something like this?

Henderson
Lacroix
Clyne
Richards
Munoz
Wharton
Lerma
Mitchell
Eze
Sarr
Nketiah

Maybe give 1 or 2 players a rest against QPR and go with something like this?

Henderson
Lacroix
Clyne
Richards
Munoz
Wharton
Lerma
Mitchell
Eze
Sarr
Nketiah

Think I'd give a few more a rest tbh including both fullbacks and players who've been overloaded with internationals (except Richards and Lerma who didn't feature at the weekend, and Guehi who needs to work on the chemistry of the backline).

Henderson
Lacroix
 Guehi
Richards
 Clyne
 Hughes
Lerma
 Umeh
Kamada
Sarr
Nketiah

Above is close to my thinking too. Only thoughts from me would be:

Turner in goal to give him some chemistry with the back 3 in case he is called upon (played twice last week for US team in internationals)

Schlupp in at LWB if he is the Mitchell injury fall back option.

Agree rest for JP, Wharton, Munoz at a minimum.

Think I'd give a few more a rest tbh including both fullbacks and players who've been overloaded with internationals (except Richards and Lerma who didn't feature at the weekend, and Guehi who needs to work on the chemistry of the backline).

Henderson
Lacroix
 Guehi
Richards
 Clyne
 Hughes
Lerma
 Umeh
Kamada
Sarr
Nketiah
I like the look of that, That team beats QPR 3 or 4 nil

Henderson
Lacroix
 Guehi
Richards
 Clyne
 Hughes
Lerma
 Umeh
Kamada
Sarr
Nketiah
I'd put Turner in goal, seeing as we got him in on loan & i doubt very much the Umeh will be in the squad, as the U21's are also playing Tues night v Real Sociedad as they start their Cup defence. So, Schlupp?

Henderson
Lacroix
 Guehi
Richards
 Clyne
 Hughes
Lerma
 Umeh
Kamada
Sarr
Nketiah
Think I would go with Clyne and Schlup as wingbacks and a middle 3 of Ward, Lacroix and Richard’s. Hopefully Turner gets a game as well? We shall see 🙂

Above is close to my thinking too. Only thoughts from me would be:

Turner in goal to give him some chemistry with the back 3 in case he is called upon (played twice last week for US team in internationals)

Schlupp in at LWB if he is the Mitchell injury fall back option.

Agree rest for JP, Wharton, Munoz at a minimum.
Yep agree. Munoz has played a lot of games this last couple of weeks. I'd stick Clyne in there.

Luckily we can rest a few and still put out a strong team

Since we got estblished in the Premier League, sometimes I feel the League Cup is a competition where it would be good to be able to recall and use players out on loan. I'd love to see JRS having a crack at QPR, for example.

Given who we have available, fringe players should get a decent run out. Schlupp, Lerma, Sarr, Ward, Clyne, and one or two others could stake a great claim for a starting place.

I'm interested to see who plays up front. There is a trade off between match fitness and managing load. Nketiah to gel him into the team? Mateta (already needs consideration given he's played in the Olympics and not had a real break)? Someone else?

I wouldn't be too keen on releasing our players to Columbia anymore, frankly. I don't know the ins and outs of the rights of clubs but they've been taking the piss by using them for the whole 90 every game. Including injuring Lerma and playing him again for the full 90 when he's only just back.
I get the players may want to play etc but we should at least have a quiet word. We know other teams would. It's greatly affecting us, with both Lerma and Munoz.
Not sure clubs have any say when they are competitive matches - which the recent games were for Colombia. I get the impression Munoz and Lerma are pretty patriotic and they play for one of the best teams in the world

Since we got estblished in the Premier League, sometimes I feel the League Cup is a competition where it would be good to be able to recall and use players out on loan. I'd love to see JRS having a crack at QPR, for example.

Given who we have available, fringe players should get a decent run out. Schlupp, Lerma, Sarr, Ward, Clyne, and one or two others could stake a great claim for a starting place.

I'm interested to see who plays up front. There is a trade off between match fitness and managing load. Nketiah to gel him into the team? Mateta (already needs consideration given he's played in the Olympics and not had a real break)? Someone else?
Glasner has said he wants the team to compete for cups and, let's face it, that is all we have realistically got to look forward to as far as the season goes. There is no way Ward and Schlupp should ever be near a starting position again

Glasner has said he wants the team to compete for cups and, let's face it, that is all we have realistically got to look forward to as far as the season goes. There is no way Ward and Schlupp should ever be near a starting position again
I think Ward could still do a decent job in a back three and I do worry about the lack of leadership within the likely first team starters. But I take your point.

Think we need to drop Mateta and go with a front 3 of Sarr Nketiah and Eze, play Chalobah instead of Richards and keep Wharton n Doucouré together. Play Lerma if Doucouré is unfit for saturdays match.

Think we need to drop Mateta and go with a front 3 of Sarr Nketiah and Eze, play Chalobah instead of Richards and keep Wharton n Doucouré together. Play Lerma if Doucouré is unfit for saturdays match.
I do like the idea of Sarr Nketiah and Eze. But its hard to drop JP.

For me Lacroix looks shaky, I'd bring Chalobah in for him

I do like the idea of Sarr Nketiah and Eze. But its hard to drop JP.

For me Lacroix looks shaky, I'd bring Chalobah in for him
I also think it may have changed Matetas contract position, he was in a strong position to negotiate, as the only decent CF, but now he certainly will not get what he was hoping for, i also would like to see Eze, Sarr and Nketiah, also Franca, although he has had his problems with injuries, but IMO he is going to be one hell of a player.

We have some very good players, but it could be argued that the current 343 system won’t see them at their best.
There are a number of players who appear to be out of position in the system .

Anderson has proved to be a huge miss and neither Richards nor Guehi look so assured in his absence.
Guehi has been moved to the centre of the 3, but although a very good defender, he doesn’t have the presence or passing range of Anderson.
Our passing from the back has become very ragged putting us under unnecessary pressure.

Munoz, JPM and Eze don’t look look the same players without Olise , who fitted the 343 system perfectly bringing the best out of his teammates.

There’s no point trying to replicate last season’s system if players are played out of position.

I watched Nketiah closely yesterday and most of his work was done outside the penalty area, and in fairness he did this well.
However, when he really came to life was inside the penalty area where he scored one, had one cleared off the line and set up what should have been a simple finish for Eze.
We need him in and around the penalty area throughout, not drifting in deeper or wider positions.
Kamada does’nt appear to suit the current system being neither one of the 2 central midfielders nor a front 3 player.
It could also be argued that Lerma doesn’t suit a 2 man central midfield as despite his energy, he’s too loose in possession.

Some on here have suggested that the system could be changed to 352 or 442 to suit the current squad and I wouldn’t be averse to trying alternatives.

We have some very good players, but it could be argued that the current 343 system won’t see them at their best.
There are a number of players who appear to be out of position in the system .

Anderson has proved to be a huge miss and neither Richards nor Guehi look so assured in his absence.
Guehi has been moved to the centre of the 3, but although a very good defender, he doesn’t have the presence or passing range of Anderson.
Our passing from the back has become very ragged putting us under unnecessary pressure.

Munoz, JPM and Eze don’t look look the same players without Olise , who fitted the 343 system perfectly bringing the best out of his teammates.

There’s no point trying to replicate last season’s system if players are played out of position.

I watched Nketiah closely yesterday and most of his work was done outside the penalty area, and in fairness he did this well.
However, when he really came to life was inside the penalty area where he scored one, had one cleared off the line and set up what should have been a simple finish for Eze.
We need him in and around the penalty area throughout, not drifting in deeper or wider positions.
Kamada does’nt appear to suit the current system being neither one of the 2 central midfielders nor a front 3 player.
It could also be argued that Lerma doesn’t suit a 2 man central midfield as despite his energy, he’s too loose in possession.

Some on here have suggested that the system could be changed to 352 or 442 to suit the current squad and I wouldn’t be averse to trying alternatives.
www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=how+does+4-2-2-2+football+formation+work&qpvt=how+does+4-2-2-2+football+formation+work&mid=3A146066A1120EEFEF373A146066A1120EEFEF37&&FORM=VRDGAR

Sounds like it would fit our players, and Glasner has used it at Lask, Wolfsburg and Frankfurt at times.

Back