• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Our present squad

I don't think Chalobah will see much game time at all, unless we have injuries, Richards, Guehi, Lacroix and Riad will be the 4 that the 3 come from, i think they loaned him in just in case the Geordies bid 267m for Guehi at the last minute.
Riad will be out till just before xmas, Chalobah has an abdominal injury, but should be ok in a couple of weeks. Also, Clyne has done well at RCB, so include him as well.

I don't think Chalobah will see much game time at all, unless we have injuries, Richards, Guehi, Lacroix and Riad will be the 4 that the 3 come from, i think they loaned him in just in case the Geordies bid 267m for Guehi at the last minute.
I wouldn't be so sure. I see him as the natural RCB. i doubt we've loaned him to sit on the bench. I know this would lead to your favourite CB being benched but Richards isn't that good a RCB and I don't see him replacing either Guehi at LCB or Lacroix who I suspect will be the middle of the 3 CBs. Similarly, i don't see Glasner moving Guehi and Lacroix round so as to allow Richards to play LCB or the middle CB.

I'm probably wrong but that's my view once Chalobah is fit and ready to start.

I think Sarr is a starter but where does he start? We could drop Clyne and play Munoz?

Henderson
Lacroix
Guéhi
Munoz

Sarr
Wharton
Doucouré
Mitchell

Eze
Nketiah
Mateta

I think Sarr is a starter but where does he start? We could drop Clyne and play Munoz?

Henderson
Lacroix
Guéhi
Munoz

Sarr
Wharton
Doucouré
Mitchell

Eze
Nketiah
Mateta
Glasner has played 4-2-2.2 in the past,
Munoz Lacroix Guehi Mitchell
Wharton Chalobah
Eze Sarr
Mateta Nketiah

Henderson
Lacroix
Guéhi
Munoz

Sarr
Wharton
Doucouré
Mitchell

Eze
Nketiah
Mateta
I have reservations about Munoz's defensive skills. His strengths are as an attacking wing back (he was clearly knackered/jet-lagged yesterday - hence his below-par performance). In any event either Richards or Chalobah will fill the third CB slot alongside Guehi and Lacroix so if Sarr is to start it would have to be instead of Munoz or Nketiah and I don't subscribe to him replacing either of those. My own view is that Sarr makes an excellent impact sub to come on in the last 20-25 minutes when the opposition are beginning to tire.

I wouldn't be too keen on releasing our players to Columbia anymore, frankly. I don't know the ins and outs of the rights of clubs but they've been taking the piss by using them for the whole 90 every game. Including injuring Lerma and playing him again for the full 90 when he's only just back.
I get the players may want to play etc but we should at least have a quiet word. We know other teams would. It's greatly affecting us, with both Lerma and Munoz.

There must be a raft of formulas to pick our first eleven. After yesterday, I would particularly like to see Sarr starting a game. He brought a lot of energy and forward momentum to the team when he came on, (as did Kamala).
Glasner has no doubt got many options now and Im sure he will find a good fit as we move forward. But there is a lot of work to be done in the coming months to devise our best style.

Interesting! It would work with either Sarr or Kamada alongside Eze. It’s probably the formation that best suits our current midfield and forwards although makes some of our centre backs a bit redundant.

There must be a raft of formulas to pick our first eleven. After yesterday, I would particularly like to see Sarr starting a game. He brought a lot of energy and forward momentum to the team when he came on, (as did Kamala).
Glasner has no doubt got many options now and Im sure he will find a good fit as we move forward. But there is a lot of work to be done in the coming months to devise our best style.
Bloody US politics gets everywhere.

In the first couple of minutes Benitez says ‘you have to change according to the teams you play’ and that must be true for us too. Glasner seems not to be rigid in his thinking and I’m sure we will see different formations and personnel over the course of the season.

Interesting! It would work with either Sarr or Kamada alongside Eze. It’s probably the formation that best suits our current midfield and forwards although makes some of our centre backs a bit redundant.
Chalobah can play the in the bottom of the box with Wharton if Doucoure isnt available, so two from Riad, Lacroix and Guehi, Brazil were the first to play that formation in the late 50s

My feeling with the current squad it that it is pretty good. I do though think we seem to have to many centre backs ( and it is a position that involves a lesser amount of running than other positions ) It will be interested to see if Schlupp plays the left wing back role against QPR to give Mitchell a rest, and if Munoz is similarly rested and who play's that role on the right. Schlupp use to play the left wing back role at Leicester and i remember their fan's thought it was his best position before he signed for us. He has the pace to play the role and can cross but does he have the leg's to get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes ?
I like the midfield options at the moment. Plenty of variety of styles that will give the manager plenty of options to pick from. I think in the Chelsea game the comments on the match thread said we improved when Doucoure came on for Hughes and i would say the same happened in reverse when Hughes came on when Doucoure was injured. Kamada adds a creative side and will have Lerma who is combative and a ball winner.

My feeling with the current squad it that it is pretty good. I do though think we seem to have to many centre backs ( and it is a position that involves a lesser amount of running than other positions ) It will be interested to see if Schlupp plays the left wing back role against QPR to give Mitchell a rest, and if Munoz is similarly rested and who play's that role on the right. Schlupp use to play the left wing back role at Leicester and i remember their fan's thought it was his best position before he signed for us. He has the pace to play the role and can cross but does he have the leg's to get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes ?
I like the midfield options at the moment. Plenty of variety of styles that will give the manager plenty of options to pick from. I think in the Chelsea game the comments on the match thread said we improved when Doucoure came on for Hughes and i would say the same happened in reverse when Hughes came on when Doucoure was injured. Kamada adds a creative side and will have Lerma who is combative and a ball winner.
With:
1. a system requiring 3 CBs and
2. with both Riad and Chalobah currently injured and
3. Holding having thrown his toys out of the pram and
4. Clyne needed as a back-up for Munoz
I would respectfully disagree.

Re QPR I am expecting Clyne to play RWB so that the knackered Munoz gets the rest he needs with Umeh as an outside chance of LWB.
CBs would be Richards, Lacroix (who needs the minutes to get up to speed) and either Guehi or Ward as the third CB.

Hughes is a strange one - a headless chicken who was lucky to stay on the pitch against Chelsea and yet an instant calming and controlling influence when he came on on Saturday. Funny game football.

With:
1. a system requiring 3 CBs and
2. with both Riad and Chalobah currently injured and
3. Holding having thrown his toys out of the pram and
4. Clyne needed as a back-up for Munoz
I would respectfully disagree.

Re QPR I am expecting Clyne to play RWB so that the knackered Munoz gets the rest he needs with Umeh as an outside chance of LWB.
CBs would be Richards, Lacroix (who needs the minutes to get up to speed) and either Guehi or Ward as the third CB.

Hughes is a strange one - a headless chicken who was lucky to stay on the pitch against Chelsea and yet an instant calming and controlling influence when he came on on Saturday. Funny game football.

One of the problems for a long time is the lack of a threat from set pieces. Particularly the ability for someone to win the first header from a corner. Perhaps this may change with the new signings. With Eze's delivery we should be getting more goals from this area.

Back