• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Marc Guehi

The only embarrassment is the Newcastle Board.

1. Financially we do not need to sell him.
2. Club and manager want him to stay.
3. The player is not agitating for a move to Newcastle.
4. Parish told Newcastle the price and 4 times they have failed to match it. Perhaps they should have just walked away after the first bid was rejected. It doesn't matter what Newcastle think he is worth it's what Palace think he's worth to us that matters.
5. Parish has been Chairman for around 10 years Newcastle must know what he is like in negotiations either first hand or via the grapevine. Why do they think that if they keep low balling their bid Parish will crumble?
6. Newcastle have dragged this out so may end up paving the way for someone like Liverpool to match their offer in which case I can see Guehi agitating for a move which will make it harder for Parish to resist.

Just my thoughts.

4. Parish told Newcastle the price and 4 times they have failed to match it. Perhaps they should have just walked away after the first bid was rejected. It doesn't matter what Newcastle think he is worth it's what Palace think he's worth to us that matters.
5. Parish has been Chairman for around 10 years Newcastle must know what he is like in negotiations either first hand or via the grapevine. Why do they think that if they keep low balling their bid Parish will crumble?
6. Newcastle have dragged this out so may end up paving the way for someone like Liverpool to match their offer in which case I can see Guehi agitating for a move which will make it harder for Parish to resist.

Just my thoughts.
Yep, if the peel come in and match Parish's price he's probably gone.

You REALLY think he's worth over say, £45 m. Really. Believe it or not there are a lot of Toon fans, like me, totally perplexed we are offering anything over forty five million. A lot of the fans I speak to think he's a good player, but that's it. Madness
If some tabloids are correct then Chelsea’s % is huge. 20m pay on quoted for a fee exceed of 65m.

That leaves us with 45+. We paid 20 odd for him

So pure profit stands at 25 ish.

That’s if you pay the price asked.

Now we have to replace him with that 25m

Excessive yes. But are palace truly winning? Not really

Just my thoughts.

Totally agree Badger. Bottom line is they want him and we want to keep him. What are we supposed to do here, let him go for a pittance because another club like the look of him?
For me it's slightly unfortunate that Newcastle are involved because I've generally found their fans to be genuine and knowledgeable. I worked with a Geordie in London who had a season ticket at St. James Park and never missed a game so most away games were closer.
Maybe their mega-bucks owners are giving them a sense of entitlement.

Thanks for your thoughts acas. It sounds like you know your stuff. Good luck for the new season.

For what it is worth, Marc is a lovely fellow as well as a terrific footballer. He's not flash, but is calm and understated. A role model.
Good post fella

What wonderful examples of humanity Newcastle are.
Not the fans fault though. We love our Club, as you do. If your owner spent an average of get this - £7.9 m - on players then owners come in who are now worth £803 Billion, would you complain. I think not. Does our owners human rights record concern me, of course. I'm a humanist but I adore my Club and we are one of the few Clubs now if we are able to spend, can comfortably challenge City. But at present we can't. If it changes I'm confident we'll start winning everything on offer. Until we can spend, we are like anyone watching the pennies.

Don't associate Geordies - reputation wise, very friendly people - with our owners. But I'm glad we have such mega rich owners. Just being honest. Still wouldn't pay a penny over £45 m for Guihl though, just wouldn't.

Not the fans fault though. We love our Club, as you do. If your owner spent an average of get this - £7.9 m - on players then owners come in who are now worth £803 Billion, would you complain. I think not. Does our owners human rights record concern me, of course. I'm a humanist but I adore my Club and we are one of the few Clubs now if we are able to spend, can comfortably challenge City. But at present we can't. If it changes I'm confident we'll start winning everything on offer. Until we can spend, we are like anyone watching the pennies.

Don't associate Geordies - reputation wise, very friendly people - with our owners. But I'm glad we have such mega rich owners. Just being honest. Still wouldn't pay a penny over £45 m for Guihl though, just wouldn't.
You aren't really a humanist if you still support Newcastle. You just want the label.
Though I've long since realised that the term 'humanism' is essentially just another form of progressivism.

If it's being rejected at 65+ then clearly the club are confident of him signing a new contract. Rejecting £65m and no new contract is daft. Really good news if he does sign a new contract, albeit the Lacroix transfer news is odd in that case.

That suggests an Andersen replacement but that seems to have gone quiet and Andersen doesn't seem to be agitating for a move...

In Parish we trust!

If it's being rejected at 65+ then clearly the club are confident of him signing a new contract. Rejecting £65m and no new contract is daft. Really good news if he does sign a new contract, albeit the Lacroix transfer news is odd in that case.

That suggests an Andersen replacement but that seems to have gone quiet and Andersen doesn't seem to be agitating for a move...

In Parish we trust!
I'd be very surprised if he signed a new contract but also very happy about it.....probably because it would mean we were in Europe or Champion's league.

So obviously I expect him to be sold.

So you want to buy success - yet won't pay a completely reasonable fee for a young England defender. Best of luck with that.
If you're so sure about the price - who are you going to get better for 45mil?
And what would Botman be worth, for example, in your estimation?

No need for bitterness. He's proved himself against absolute duffers in the Euros. Keep him, I'm sure he'll thrive at Palace. By the way you lose a few games at the start of the season your brittle as toffee fan base will screaming to replace the poor sap who is in charge now.

Have to laugh at the criticisms of Newcastle, Palace aren't even significant in London. How's this. Arsenal Chelsea Spurs West Ham Brentford Fulham then you lot, sniggers. I will jog on though, ta ta😆
You’ve Just filled your reply with a tsunami of bitterness - what a hypocrite!
You seem to think Newcastle are an attractive club - I’m sorry to say you’re NOT.
You’ve not won anything for donkeys years and no European football. You blame injuries but every club has injuries - why not strengthen your squad LOL.
I’ve just heard you’ve been out played first half v Southampton and a player sent off - gonna be a tough long season for you oversized beer belly geordies.

I think we are embarrassing ourselves bidding over £45 million for Guehi ( spelling ). He had a few good games against duffer teams in the Euros and now we are meant to believe Parish opinion he's a " Superstar ", when that's clearly proposterous.

This isn't a dig at Palace BTW. It's the crazy state of the PL where there is absolute garbage spoken about a player's worth. If we are offering the purported £65 m + for him then shame on us. The world's gone absolute potty. Hope he stays with you guys..

Genuine question, have you based your opinion on him from a few matches in the Euros and is that enough do you think to judge him? As a comparison I happen to think Bruno Guimarães is average but that is based on a few games I have watched him in and I admit I may think different if I watched him every game and so might you if you watched Guehi every week?

All this talk about Marc being wanted by Newcastle and other clubs, why is it that as soon as we get a great player, and Marc played a blinder in the Euro's, bigger clubs start to sniff around them, Marc please, please stay for another year, you've just been made captain.

I was listening to White and Jordan recently and I think it was Danny Murphy that mentioned why someone like Liverpool have not come in for him. In regards to Newcastle, they are a good club but they are not an established top 5 side yet. They finished 7th last year. It would not really be a step up for Marc as Palace could come in the top 8 if they have a great season.

Back