• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Marc Guehi

I think we are embarrassing ourselves bidding over £45 million for Guehi ( spelling ). He had a few good games against duffer teams in the Euros and now we are meant to believe Parish opinion he's a " Superstar ", when that's clearly proposterous.

This isn't a dig at Palace BTW. It's the crazy state of the PL where there is absolute garbage spoken about a player's worth. If we are offering the purported £65 m + for him then shame on us. The world's gone absolute potty. Hope he stays with you guys..

They aren't in the Champions League and don't represent a significant upward step. Sure, they have a big fan base, but Newcastle is a dump.
Sniggers " Newcastle is a dump " , voted the best place to visit for away fans in pole after pole and frankly, if your calling Newcastle a dump you've clearly not been.

Still, crack on 😊

What a saga. Looks like Newcastle are trying to get Guehi on the cheap.
Darned cheapskates from the East.
You REALLY think he's worth over say, £45 m. Really. Believe it or not there are a lot of Toon fans, like me, totally perplexed we are offering anything over forty five million. A lot of the fans I speak to think he's a good player, but that's it. Madness

Was told earlier that there is a figure the club have in mind that if met then moves on to the next stage which is a conversation with the manager and the player.
Its believed by the person I spoke to that Newcastle have reached that figure but OG (understandably) wants to keep him and (more importantly) MG is happy where he is and really not excited by a potential move to Newcastle.
Therefore, the bid will be rejected. If Newcastle keep their word they will not return with a higher offer. What would be the point if the player isn't even fussed about them? There could obviously be further interest from other top clubs but I personally think this is the end of Newcastle's interest.

Lets face it, they're just not sexy enough.
Keep him PLEASE. Lots of us in the Gallowgate think he's a good player but he's over rated by Parish, " superstar " Mr Parish, really 😊

Keep him PLEASE. Lots of us in the Gallowgate think he's a good player but he's over rated by Parish, " superstar " Mr Parish, really 😊
We will, don't you worry about that.....you obviously are as that's why you're on here coping.

Parish seems to be looking at the January transfer window where Guehi's will no doubt be the object of desire of bigger clubs.

I think we are embarrassing ourselves bidding over £45 million for Guehi ( spelling ). He had a few good games against duffer teams in the Euros and now we are meant to believe Parish opinion he's a " Superstar ", when that's clearly proposterous.

This isn't a dig at Palace BTW. It's the crazy state of the PL where there is absolute garbage spoken about a player's worth. If we are offering the purported £65 m + for him then shame on us. The world's gone absolute potty. Hope he stays with you guys..

He won't, he's likely to go to a champion's league club in January. If he signs an extension we will be more than happy but it's unlikely.

I'd have to listen to the interview again carefully but I think in the same way you used "Superstar" in quotes I think Steve Parish did the same, but then he did throw in 'generational talent' which is a bit more open to interpretation but builds the tone nicely.

As it was a slightly mixed message. On the one it was 'hands off our prize asset' but on the other it was of course 'he is for sale (at the right price)' and of course, as it's Steve, done very publicly - but in a very reasonable way. You might say it was it a final sales pitch to Liverpool or anyone else who might be interested and could offer more but holding back for a late last deadline day bid

Which so far hasn't had any impact. But at the same time it helps the bigger picture.

We've just lost Olise for relative peanuts for his talent because of the release clause value. So it makes it clear as other posters have put it 'we won't have our pants pulled down' or 'walked over' on the valuation. With Eze, Mateta , Wharton getting a lot of interest, as well as the ridiculous low offer on Andersen. it gives the right message to the big time (and small time) 'vultures'.

I think Eddie Howe said in an interview recently how they have had to fight against the 'Newcastle Tax' of clubs doubling the price when it was them on the phone which they by holding firm on prices.

Palace doing similar work here. No FFP / PSR problems. No cash problems. Top dollar only.

But finally the rumour from yesterday was that Palace's actual valuation WAS met in the final offer. It went to Glasner who said he wanted Guehi to stay and it went to Marc and he wasn't that bothered about Newcastle so he is not making a fuss about wanting away.

So we are happy to keep him. If he has a great season then his value won't dip too much as he reaches 1 year on the contract and interest intensifies. But it might. Or he gets injured. High Stakes.

I think the McGuire & VVD transfers raised the bar on spending for that position & probably carry the can for being the yardstick that future transfers are measured (PL experienced & some international exposure) judged as being good enough to go straight into the starting line up for a top 6 / top 8 team.

Of course FFP / PRS (Or PSR whichever it is) has more recently had an impact on perceived values.

Marc Guehi is a good defender but not without his limitations - especially only being 6ft tall, if he was 6ft 3 for example people would probably think we had undervalued him.

As things are I feel we are probably pushing for about 5 million above what his true market value is, even given these crazy times, probably driven by the fact that we dont actually have to sell him, we would rather keep him & its Newcastle that are calling with deep pockets -

45m don’t be daft.
Are you completely oblivious to the transfer deals happening everywhere?
Guehi is a sound human being and a highly respected palace player that is valued highly. We are not a selling club so just JOG ON!!

You REALLY think he's worth over say, £45 m. Really. Believe it or not there are a lot of Toon fans, like me, totally perplexed we are offering anything over forty five million. A lot of the fans I speak to think he's a good player, but that's it. Madness
JOG ON pal
Newcastle are not an attractive club for our players.

Everything in a free market has a market value and the market for good, international players starts at around £50m. I don't hear your club's owners complaining when the oil price goes up to 'ridiculously high' levels.

My mum was one of 13 kids living in a two up, two down terrace close to the docks in Sunderland. That automatically qualifies me for the 'I hate Newcastle' brigade.

TBF you lot have embarrassed yourselves over many issues in recent years. Calling Ashley a “cockney” when he was born nowhere near Bow bells for starters. Falling over yourselves worshipping the murderous regime (allegedly) who have taken over your club including those in your LGBT community, oh the irony/hypocrisy! What clubs like you now have to come to terms with are “little” clubs like Palace will no longer be bullied into selling our players. Guehi is a very very good defender and even nicer person, a stand out player at the Euros and a future England captain. He may not be a superstar yet but he certainly is well on the way.
I agree the PL has gone crazy, but the blame rests solely on the multi billionaires who have been throwing money at clubs like confetti, Chelsea being the best example.

TBF you lot have embarrassed yourselves over many issues in recent years. Calling Ashley a “cockney” when he was born nowhere near Bow bells for starters. Falling over yourselves worshipping the murderous regime (allegedly) who have taken over your club including those in your LGBT community, oh the irony/hypocrisy! What clubs like you now have to come to terms with are “little” clubs like Palace will no longer be bullied into selling our players. Guehi is a very very good defender and even nicer person, a stand out player at the Euros and a future England captain. He may not be a superstar yet but he certainly is well on the way.
I agree the PL has gone crazy, but the blame rests solely on the multi billionaires who have been throwing money at clubs like confetti, Chelsea being the best example.
The word 'allegedly' was not required, although I sense you may have inserted it with irony.

Absolutely spot on, happy to take the money and then cry foul when clubs don't roll over and sell their better players for peanuts.

I’m afraid it’s the going rate for a decent international cb at the moment, especially as we don’t have to sell to survive these days, he’s got two years left on his contract and we’ve already sold one gem

so pay up or piss off basically😀

Yep , im with monkey on this , Piss off with yourself and worry about your own players , I thought this was a fourm for Palace Supporters not Sandcastle whingers .

Newcastle sell Minteh to Brighton for £30 million - a player who's never even kicked a ball for them - and then their fans complain about the fee being quoted for Guehi. It doesn't matter what either set of fans thinks as it is abundantly clear that Palace holds all the power in this deal, so Newcastle either pay what Parish wants or they don't. Given the Saudis have been executing people who refuse to leave their homes for infrastructure projects I don't think Parish is being tough enough. Maybe he should ask for Dan Burn's legs as part of the deal, or something.

Back