• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Woke is alive and well

They certainly call some tourists “emmets” here but it was originally just a Cornish word for incomers like me and not really prerogative at all.

These days it’s reserved for the worst type of visitor. Those who show no respect for local people or the environment, drive inappropriately down narrow lanes and act as though they own the place. Most aren’t like that and come to share and enjoy the unique qualities that this special place has.

If it was addressed to you, or anyone you were with then either you were very unlucky and encountered an unusually nasty local, or must have been doing something that deserved criticism.

Of course it must have been my fault. How could anyone not find the charming locals anything less than endearing with their open hearted welcoming nature?

Of course it must have been my fault. How could anyone not find the charming locals anything less than endearing with their open hearted welcoming nature?

That outburst was well publicised and roundly condemned at the time. It was why he was the ex head of tourism. If you look beyond the aggressive rhetoric what he said was precisely what I did too. The term is only used for the worst types of visitors.

Only you know how you behaved and whether you deserved the epithet, but I dare say if someone visited you and behaved badly, abusing your hospitality, then you might get upset too.

That outburst was well publicised and roundly condemned at the time. It was why he was the ex head of tourism. If you look beyond the aggressive rhetoric what he said was precisely what I did too. The term is only used for the worst types of visitors.

Only you know how you behaved and whether you deserved the epithet, but I dare say if someone visited you and behaved badly, abusing your hospitality, then you might get upset too.
You'll defend Cornish people for complaining about and insulting tourists who are only there to spend money for a week of two but claim the rest of the country should accept anyone who goes to live there for as long as they like.
Holiday home bad. Permanent home good. Brilliant.
And no, there was no behaviour involved. On one occasion we were waiting in a traffic queue to get into a carpark and two cars stopped just to advise my friend, who was driving, that he should go back where he came from. Another time in a pub the landlord just ignored him standing at the bar when there were three others in the pub. He sat down and I went to the bar and got served.

Last edited:
Last night I wondered what kind of ‘cultural enrichment’ we’re getting from the recent migrants coming into Britain and I struggled to think of anything. We’ve experienced some positives from previous migration but I’m not seeing anything lately. Just large scale migration from anywhere and everywhere into towns and cities and white flight of parents of children who can afford to, out of them.

You'll defend Cornish people for complaining about and insulting tourists who are only there to spend money for a week of two but claim the rest of the country should accept anyone who goes to live there for as long as they like.
Holiday home bad. Permanent home good. Brilliant.
And no, there was no behaviour involved. On one occasion we were waiting in a traffic queue to get into a carpark and two cars stopped just to advise my friend, who was driving, that he should go back where he came from. Another time in a pub the landlord just ignored him standing at the bar when there were three others in the pub. He sat down and I went to the bar and got served.
As I said you, or your friend, either behaved badly or were unlucky. A*seholes exist everywhere. Additionally you said this happened 30 years ago and attitudes everywhere have changed a lot since then. I very strongly doubt that this would be your experience now.

Many people here depend on the tourist industry for their incomes. Those, like me, who live here accept that July and August mean some places are busy, so avoid them for a while. There’s lots of other, relatively unknown places. Finding a peaceful corner is always possible here, once you get to know the back routes.

Those that make their homes here, like me, are always made to feel welcome. We bring in money and employment. Those who buy up second homes and leave them empty for 50 weeks a year, less so. Affordable housing is a big problem. I don’t see a valid comparison with the situation in the big cities.

As I said you, or your friend, either behaved badly or were unlucky. A*seholes exist everywhere. Additionally you said this happened 30 years ago and attitudes everywhere have changed a lot since then. I very strongly doubt that this would be your experience now.

Many people here depend on the tourist industry for their incomes. Those, like me, who live here accept that July and August mean some places are busy, so avoid them for a while. There’s lots of other, relatively unknown places. Finding a peaceful corner is always possible here, once you get to know the back routes.

Those that make their homes here, like me, are always made to feel welcome. We bring in money and employment. Those who buy up second homes and leave them empty for 50 weeks a year, less so. Affordable housing is a big problem. I don’t see a valid comparison with the situation in the big cities.

Sitting in a car waiting to turn into a carpark isn't usually enough to provoke anybody.
That so many depend on tourism surely means they should be grateful for anyone visiting not insulting the "wrong" type of tourist.
The comparison is that affordable housing is a bit of an issue in London too. As is tourism.

Just large scale migration from anywhere and everywhere into towns and cities and white flight of parents of children who can afford to, out of them.

Out of them. To where ?

A lot of the countryside is also getting enriched. Villages like Dundrum, Co. Tipperary. Where refugee men will soon outnumber Local men by 3 to 1.

And i cannot see Poland & Hungary being too pleased by ten or twenty million Brits/French/Swedish whatever .....all arriving onto their backyard. Looking for their hospitality cos we lost our own country. Importing a toxic ideology into Christian Eastern Europe.

I can see it now. A bunch of Croydon-Karens arriving into Krakow and beginning to lecture all the locals about the importance of Equal Opportunity Quotas for the Public Sector Workplace. Telling Hungarian housewives to stop having kids and get a career. And also telling Krakow-women their choice of partner is probably racist.

Back