• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

US Politics

Where do you get these ideas from?

Even the arch purveyor of lies, Trump, has given up on these.

Obama was born in Honolulu and Clinton in Arkansas.
I suspect neither of us were present at either birth.
So, at this point, you tend to lean toward the sacred information engineered by your trusty fact-checkers.

I suspect you are just confused; Obama spent much of his early years in Kenya if I recall as his father was an academic from that country. Similarly, Clinton was partly educated at either Oxford or Cambridge. The birth stuff is just nonsence - part of Trump's never ending conspiracies as we so eloquently heard last night with his reference to migrants eating cats and dogs - bizarre in the extreme and it clearly did him no favours. Having watched the entire debate one could only be struck by his complete unsuitability to be the US President. Most of what he said was just an incoherent/uneducated rant on a whole variety of topics.

On a more somber note I’ve just been watching the gut wrenching events of 9/11 replayed this morning to remind myself who are the true threats to democracy.

All perspective and common sense is slowly being eroded from our lives!
Without in any way seeking to minimise the awfulness of 9/11, which I watched happen live on TV because I was working at home that day, I don’t believe those behind it represent a threat to democracy. They represent a threat to us that must be resisted and overcome but democracy itself will ultimately always triumph over authoritarianism because it’s what the people demand. So whilst there may be set backs they will only be temporary.

I suspect neither of us were present at either birth.
So, at this point, you tend to lean toward the sacred information engineered by your trusty fact-checkers.
No, I trust facts. Like birth certificates and statements by those I trust.

Not conspiracy theories engineered by those with a desire to throw mud at people they don’t like.

I watch intently a lot of US political news and quite frankly I saw nothing last night that resembled a meaningful debate. Harris offered precious little substance in her words that made much sense to me and Trump regurgitated the same old same old speech. Time will tell but don’t think this changed many people’s minds. Do you hate Trump more than the policies of the left (basically Harris is irrelevant).

Now where the Democrats won is convincing the American public that past failures are all Trumps fault yet they’ve been in power for 12 out the past 16 years.

I left the room after 30 minutes due to complete embarrassment all round. All I can say is that Nikki Haley would have wiped the floor with both candidates and in hindsight that maybe where the election was won or lost.
You will know better than most here, me included, but do any of these things ever resemble a meaningful debate?

It seems to me they are a theatrical sparring match designed to allow the underlying character to emerge, which may not be relevant to someone who is serious about politics but is often what those who aren’t base their decisions on.

From all I have read the general consensus seems to be that Harris had a good evening and Trump did not. Any movement may well be minor but in a tight race like this it may be enough and is certainly important. Some undecided independents who had little previous knowledge of Harris will now be reassured she is no mug. I cannot see any being convinced by Trump on last night’s showing. He was just more Trump. Even more important is whether the young get motivated to actually vote, because that will help Harris.

It was supposed to be sexist, because I was talking about K Harris having to deal with Putin, the Middle East, China, North Korea, you name it.
Why are you concerned about her being a woman? Being concerned about her politics is defensible but not that she is female. I thought Margaret Thatcher was a woman!

Old out of touch politician holds old out of touch views.

Hardly surprising!

Of course he is right, in some ways. The world is changing and we have no options other than to adapt to those changes. That doesn’t mean we will lose our culture. It means it won’t necessarily dominate, or deserve to. Only by adapting and ensuring it remains relevant can we preserve it well..

Old out of touch politician holds old out of touch views.

Hardly surprising!

Of course he is right, in some ways. The world is changing and we have no options other than to adapt to those changes. That doesn’t mean we will lose our culture. It means it won’t necessarily dominate, or deserve to. Only by adapting and ensuring it remains relevant can we preserve it well..
Dominate! You’re having a laugh. Only 15-20% of the world follows standard western cultures. USA and Europe, the rest are different cultures. How can that be domination.

I suspect you are just confused; Obama spent much of his early years in Kenya if I recall as his father was an academic from that country. Similarly, Clinton was partly educated at either Oxford or Cambridge. The birth stuff is just nonsence - part of Trump's never ending conspiracies as we so eloquently heard last night with his reference to migrants eating cats and dogs - bizarre in the extreme and it clearly did him no favours. Having watched the entire debate one could only be struck by his complete unsuitability to be the US President. Most of what he said was just an incoherent/uneducated rant on a whole variety of topics.
You think?

You will know better than most here, me included, but do any of these things ever resemble a meaningful debate?

It seems to me they are a theatrical sparring match designed to allow the underlying character to emerge, which may not be relevant to someone who is serious about politics but is often what those who aren’t base their decisions on.

From all I have read the general consensus seems to be that Harris had a good evening and Trump did not. Any movement may well be minor but in a tight race like this it may be enough and is certainly important. Some undecided independents who had little previous knowledge of Harris will now be reassured she is no mug. I cannot see any being convinced by Trump on last night’s showing. He was just more Trump. Even more important is whether the young get motivated to actually vote, because that will help Harris.
The general consensus, mine included was that Trump did himself no favors but Harris was still not prepared to articulate if she was 2019 Kamala or the 180 flip flop she’s trying to portray to win an election.

No point in a second debate as a repeat has ZERO. Hence if being any better!

Back