• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Tory Leadership Race

martin2412

Country
England
Well the poison dwarf Priti Patel is out, which now leaves 5 candidates standing.

In my opinion I don't think any of them are what you would call prime minister material, but the best of a bad bunch would be James Cleverley. He doesn't seem too controversial and comes across as a normal bloke who may appeal to the man or woman on the street.

Thoughts ?

Well the poison dwarf Priti Patel is out, which now leaves 5 candidates standing.

In my opinion I don't think any of them are what you would call prime minister material, but the best of a bad bunch would be James Cleverley. He doesn't seem too controversial and comes across as a normal bloke who may appeal to the man or woman on the street.

Thoughts ?
You would think that it’ll take 2 or 3 leaders before the tories get a real chance of competing in an election. But going by Starmer’s reign so far, it could be 1.

It is a strange thing the Tory leadership race a bit like finding the prettiest gargoyle. The public wouldn't vote for any of them.They will live in the wilderness for a generation, Jenerick was top saying you cannot say praise god in arabic,what an out of date windbag.

It is a strange thing the Tory leadership race a bit like finding the prettiest gargoyle. The public wouldn't vote for any of them.They will live in the wilderness for a generation, Jenerick was top saying you cannot say praise god in arabic,what an out of date windbag.
Situation of when and where you hear Allahu Akbar matters. A few thousand feet in the air for example might scare the sh1t out of you. Or on any public transport. Actually anywhere in a public place that isn’t in a Muslim majority area.

Thoughts ?
Not controversial enough.

There is no candidate that I find remotely appealing.

Situation of when and where you hear Allahu Akbar matters. A few thousand feet in the air for example might scare the sh1t out of you. Or on any public transport. Actually anywhere in a public place that isn’t in a Muslim majority area.
Jenerick did not specify when this was acceptable, it was a blanket arrestable offence.

Personally I like Kemi Badenoch, who articulates a proper right-of-centre view of how the country can get better, as opposed to the previous Tory government who had no apparent underpinning vision, principles and values.

There is no candidate that I find remotely appealing.
You're right Hrolf. They're a weak looking bunch and none of them stand out to to me as being the charismatic, dominant or experienced character the Tory party needs to lead it and provide strong opposition to the Labour lot who look more disjointed as each day passes.

Far too early to judge Labour but they need to be held account by a competent opposition. That requires a strong leader. The 5 left fill me with little confidence they have the right one.

Personally I like Kemi Badenoch, who articulates a proper right-of-centre view of how the country can get better, as opposed to the previous Tory government who had no apparent underpinning vision, principles and values.
I would’ve liked her as deputy to Priti Patel but the MP’s obviously know best!!!

Far too early to judge Labour but they need to be held account by a competent opposition. That requires a strong leader. The 5 left fill me with little confidence they have the right one.
I don’t know about that. The way Starmer thinks and treats those who don’t usually vote Labour or indeed working class people he doesn’t like isn’t good. But maybe you’re right, as he says, it’ll get worse before it gets better. Getting his excuses in early. Perhaps it’ll just get worse and worse.

I don’t know about that. The way Starmer thinks and treats those who don’t usually vote Labour or indeed working class people he doesn’t like isn’t good. But maybe you’re right, as he says, it’ll get worse before it gets better. Getting his excuses in early. Perhaps it’ll just get worse and worse.
It doesn’t have to get worse.
It needs to be more efficient
That’s a place no political party ever goes sadly.

Anyone think perhaps Tories have gone the way of the Liberals? Biggest traditional party to nothing.
In fairness, Labour aren't relevant anymore either - it's why they've gone woke. There isn't much of a unified working class except for perhaps the wannabees at BBC and in the Civil Service. With their working class credentials and slight knowledge of slang at dinner parties.
Which explains their bizarre political positions. Kind of crypto Marxism which isn't actually enacted - along with distorted hippy values - from their Greenham Common mothers.

For Tories, who are the toffs and businessmen anymore? We spoke about Public schools a while back - you think they're all little Englanders? Last I looked there were a load of Arabs and Asians - hence Sunak etc. They're not a traditionalist party anymore. Sh1t these days, even the Royals are barely traditional. Soon they'll be like, shudder, Prince Albert of Monaco or whatever - and probably living there. Or like any of the countless other royals who no one gives a f*** about until it's a public holiday because it's their birthday.

New parties are a coming, I tells ya.

The Conservatives will be handicapped so long as the Party members - recently estimated as numbering just 130,000 - make the final choice of leader. They gave us Johnson and Truss, and anyone who saw any of the "fly-on-the-wall" footage of members' discussions ahead of those disasters couldn't fail to see that they were unrepresentative of most of the electorate. Same problem, I suppose, that Labour once had with the unions' influence on the leader's selection.

The Conservatives will be handicapped so long as the Party members - recently estimated as numbering just 130,000 - make the final choice of leader. They gave us Johnson and Truss, and anyone who saw any of the "fly-on-the-wall" footage of members' discussions ahead of those disasters couldn't fail to see that they were unrepresentative of most of the electorate. Same problem, I suppose, that Labour once had with the unions' influence on the leader's selection.
As I said above - what are Conservatives supposed to stand for? In my opinion, it would be fiscal responsibility (lower tax, lower welfare), along with traditional values (Monarchy, family, history, national pride). Then look around you - who is that going to resonate with? I'd suggest all of that has basically disappeared and there is little point in dreaming of it coming back. Any new traditional right wing party is going to have to, quite literally, tear the whole thing down and start again. And imagine the push back. It feels over for the Tories. New, modern parties, organized fully around social media and certain "tastes" and "trends" are going to emerge. It's a sea change for most of us but perhaps not the youngsters.

Thatcher's ashes would win the Tory leadership election - and probably do a better job than the other candidates.

As I said above - what are Conservatives supposed to stand for? In my opinion, it would be fiscal responsibility (lower tax, lower welfare), along with traditional values (Monarchy, family, history, national pride). Then look around you - who is that going to resonate with? I'd suggest all of that has basically disappeared and there is little point in dreaming of it coming back. Any new traditional right wing party is going to have to, quite literally, tear the whole thing down and start again. And imagine the push back. It feels over for the Tories. New, modern parties, organized fully around social media and certain "tastes" and "trends" are going to emerge. It's a sea change for most of us but perhaps not the youngsters.
Something to ponder how that would emerge and look.

Back