• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Things you seldom see nowadays.

Brown and Mild
Spittoons
Pathe News
Woolworths
Adverts without furry cartoon characters
Caster Oil
B Movies
AA/RAC boxes (or motorcycle patrolmen who salute when they see your badge)
Not forgetting:

Cod liver Oil & Malt extract
Californian Syrup of Figs*

*Always got given a large spoonful after the weekly bath on a Saturday night, so you were clean outside & in for church on Sunday 😯

Not forgetting:

*Always got given a large spoonful after the weekly bath on a Saturday night, so you were clean outside & in for church on Sunday 😯
Always confused me that Andrews Liver Salts used to say For a refreshing drink add 1 spoonful to a glass of water. As a laxative add 1 or 2 spoonsful to a glass of water. The 1 spooners were essentially playing colonic roulette.

Not forgetting:

*Always got given a large spoonful after the weekly bath on a Saturday night, so you were clean outside & in for church on Sunday
😯
I've heard a lot of clergy prefer their young worshippers to have nice clean, empty bowels - you must have some interesting stories

I've heard a lot of clergy prefer their young worshippers to have nice clean, empty bowels - you must have some interesting stories
Being neither Catholic nor male, I was spared having to find out.Ours was a happily married, wise old duffer with 4 renegade children

Being neither Catholic nor male, I was spared having to find out.Ours was a happily married, wise old duffer with 4 renegade children
I know I'm awful, am male, just about, and was brought up Catholic ... managed to avoid any unsavouriness though years after I left my form teacher, an ordained priest, in the first year (Year 7 as it is now) was nicked for doing an 'Uncle Ernie'. I don't know what oil was involved, cod liver or otherwise.

Public information films.

I Remember being told not to talk to nonces, and also to get under the stairs when a nuclear bomb is on it's way.
The one about staying away from ponds and lakes was nightmarish. Probably was more effective than getting under the stairs to avoid a nuclear attack though.

A car themed response:

Using the choke to start the car
Wind up windows
No power steering
Vinyl seats
Single speed windscreen wiper
Seatbelts not mandatory

A car themed response:

Using the choke to start the car
Wind up windows
No power steering
Vinyl seats
Single speed windscreen wiper
Seatbelts not mandatory
Hand signals
Indicators on a little arm on the side
Using tights as a fan belt
Esso football coins
Blokes spending Sunday morning tinkering with the engine
Anyone who knows how to double declutch
Guinness labels instead of a tax disc

Bell's Yoghurt makers
Fish monger shops
Rag and bone men
Petrol pump attendants
Refreshment trolleys on trains
Granny Smith apples
Newspaper stands
Neopolitan ice cream blocks
Slabs of rock hard toffee in confectioners that has to be broken up with a small hammer
Plate spinners on TV light entertainment shows
TV light entertainment shows
A pub pint for under a fiver
Toy shops

Anyone who adds Esq. after a name.
Anyone who knows what the letters SAE mean.
Anyone hearing the letters STD who thinks of telephones.

Always confused me that Andrews Liver Salts used to say For a refreshing drink add 1 spoonful to a glass of water. As a laxative add 1 or 2 spoonsful to a glass of water. The 1 spooners were essentially playing colonic roulette.
Andrews liver salts, withdrawn now, impossible to get.
Always saved my bacon if id mixed wine & beer(within reason)
and didnt mind the taste, was pretty ok.

answers on a postcard
hairspray
mud on football pitches
ploughman's lunches
free pawns, eels and roasties on the bar during Sunday lunch
unfunny but strangely interesting comedy series like Last of the Summer Wine or anything written by Carla Laine

Back