• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Things you seldom see nowadays.

When I see an all white family in an advert now - I find it jarring. However, there are families that are ridiculous in adverts -

you mean 'ridiculous' in the sense that you would never see such a family out and about ? Like a Nigel sitting in the pub with a beer & sausage-roll sitting beside the wife wearing a Burka ?

Funny enough, the adverts never show an old white geezer with a ponytail & a bikers jacket, married to a pretty young Chinese wife. And yet its everywhere in Croydon. Must be a silent decision made by advertisers, behind closed doors.

another one you never see is married couples aged 19. Very common during the medieval age.

Or the West End. A bunch of white-haired elderlys travelling on the Central line at 9am.

Politicians called 'Mr _ _' by journalists interviewing.

Barbers that sell condoms.

Second-hand furniture having any kind of monetary value.

Last edited:
Video shops
Mincers which clamp to the table
Cigars
Horses as used by Coal Men / Rag & Bone men / Knife sharpeners
Cigarette coupons
Match boxes
Bicycle clips
Lyons tearooms
School caps
Old cars
Toys in cereal boxes
Money spiders
Ice cream between two wafers
Cameras
Playing conkers
Double Diamond
Toast Toppers
an excellent list but I confess I had to read the one in bold twice, I never really considered this was how you retained your youth!

an excellent list but I confess I had to read the one in bold twice, I never really considered this was how you retained your youth!
Wish it was! More the way my mum made sure we were still eating Sunday leftovers three days later. And there wasn't much leftover to start with. Bubble & squeak too. And bread pudding.

you mean 'ridiculous' in the sense that you would never see such a family out and about ? Like a Nigel sitting in the pub with a beer & sausage-roll sitting beside the wife wearing a Burka ?

Funny enough, the adverts never show an old white geezer with a ponytail & a bikers jacket, married to a pretty young Chinese wife. And yet its everywhere in Croydon. Must be a silent decision made by advertisers, behind closed doors.

another one you never see is married couples aged 19. Very common during the medieval age.

Or the West End. A bunch of white-haired elderlys travelling on the Central line at 9am.

Politicians called 'Mr _ _' by journalists interviewing.

Barbers that sell condoms.

Second-hand furniture having any kind of monetary value.
" something for the weekend, Sir?"

pressure cookers, and cos my dad was from eastern europe he was a big coffee drinker when it was still mainly tea, and we had a manual rotating handle coffee grinder attached to our kitchen wall and papa would buy coffee beans from a coffee shop on the high road ... add pork or veal and ham pies with a boiled egg inside, and grated carrot in salads, not to mention salad cream which still barely lingers, then there's milk puddings and pink custard which cause nausea rather than nostalgia

Dogs wandering the streets.
My mate had a dog in the 70s that was always out chasing cars up the street. Nobody used to bat an eyelid.
Who decided that all dogs should be locked up ?

Kids playing knock-down-ginger or British bulldog. They've all gone soft.

Snow.
Snow on football pitches.
Muddy football pitches at top tier games.
No grass on football pitches in winter and spring down the middle of pitches.
Frozen football pitches.
Abandoned games.
Smog.
Steel capped football boots.
Woollen football socks. Cotton football shirts.
Steel capped bovver boots on the terraces.
Uncovered terraces. Terraces with crush bars.
Woodbine. Weights. Capstan. Senior Service. No.6.
Untipped cigarettes.
Rattles.
Proper bovril at football matches.
Pipes at football matches.
Smoking at football matches.
Hot dogs and boiled burgers and onion vans outside grounds.
London News late night final.

Some of the replies are like "What was on the conveyor belt ?" on Bruce's Generation game. 😀

Donkey Jackets. Haven't seen one for years. Do they still exist ?
Yes & they are expensive sought after fashionista type items now, but look as they have gone the way of the Dr Martens cheaply made & fall apart after a few months. I remember buying a pair of Docs from Shelley's back in the 80s steel toe cap brogue type & had them close to 20 years, then a pair I bought recently lasted me under a year even though they were supposedly the better 'Made in England' brand

Snow.
Snow on football pitches.
Muddy football pitches at top tier games.
No grass on football pitches in winter and spring down the middle of pitches.
Frozen football pitches.
Abandoned games.
Smog.
Steel capped football boots.
Woollen football socks. Cotton football shirts.
Steel capped bovver boots on the terraces.
Uncovered terraces. Terraces with crush bars.
Woodbine. Weights. Capstan. Senior Service. No.6.
Untipped cigarettes.
Rattles.
Proper bovril at football matches.
Pipes at football matches.
Smoking at football matches.
Hot dogs and boiled burgers and onion vans outside grounds.
London News late night final.
When I was at school 10 Weights were 20 1/2p so I had a ha'penny a day to make up my dinner money to buy them.

Some of the replies are like "What was on the conveyor belt ?" on Bruce's Generation game. 😀

Donkey Jackets. Haven't seen one for years. Do they still exist ?
I used to wear one to the football in my teens, when i got a green army overcoat in the charity shop, what a wally 😆

Brown and Mild
Spittoons
Pathe News
Woolworths
Adverts without furry cartoon characters
Caster Oil
B Movies
AA/RAC boxes (or motorcycle patrolmen who salute when they see your badge)

Back