• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The new government – good accomplishments and bad?

None at all (although I had some dealings with him, albeit at a slightly removed distance back in the early 90's and he was a delight to deal with) but like everything else, the timing is everything.

Why now? Why all this publicity right now?
He had such a lot to say about the royal family too. No, I’m not surprised if he was an ageing sex pest.

Last edited:
Angela Rayner on kuennsberg:

‘’MP’s have been accepting donations for years. I was from a very working class background. To stand as deputy leader, as you say… to get to that position I had to accept donations in order for me to run the campaign, because it’s a very expensive way of doing our politics.’’

What was that?

Interesting week ahead with the Labour Party conference.

My big punt over the last GE was based on a premise that the Tories were deliberately throwing the election because the powers-that-be have decided that we need to be back in the EU and they wanted Labour to be the ones who led the charge on that.

With the mechanism for that becoming a reality taking the same format that Labour's shift to a second referendum which began with a resolution passed at their 2018 Party conference, with Starmer playing the leading role in breaking with agreed Shadow Cabinet policy and backing it.

So here we are now. With the first Labour Party conference with Starmer as their PM. The stage set, both literally and metaphorically, for similar to take place.

And this current HMG in an odd position. A Government seemingly at war with itself and its Chief-of-Staff seemingly posed to resign once this conference is done and dusted. Along with the leaking of expensese scandal and this Al-Fayed stuff coming to the fore, high lighting how Starmer failed, during his tenure as head of the CPS. Clearly a lot of pressure being bought to bear on Starmer.

Makes me wonder if Starmer and co have perhaps been getting cold-feet over the rejoin stance they are being expected to champion? Aruging that now is not the time etc?

Of course, this could all be me being me at my tin-foiled hatted worse, seeing wheels within wheels where none exist but something is clearly amiss in a Government with a massive majority.

Lets see. This time next week I might well be eating humble pie, which I will happily dig out my regular spoon to consume as it won't be the first time (c'est la vie) but I will be very surprised if the issue of rejoining does not raise its ugly head.

If Labour are intent on taking us back then they have to get the ball rolling quickly. Either this year or next (and posing it as a 10 year reflection with a referendum in 2026 makes some sense) but I sense the pressure building for Starmer to now pay the price for selling his soul when he destroyed Corybn by backing a second referendum stance that was a guaranteed loss for Labour as a manifesto pledge in 2019.

If we end up with a 2nd referendum I want to see more resistance and a reduction in mass migration into Europe. That is starting to happen so we’ll see.

The recent proposal with the EU to allow under 30’s to move between Britain and the EU and vice versa reminded me of some posts I made about this on hol a few years ago - that it would be quite amusing to hear of young people’s dismay that young graduates from the Mediterranean are ‘making it difficult to get on the career ladder because they are coming over here and taking jobs (and properties)’, because that is what and why the EU is allowing this, and the ability to work in a bar in Europe at the drop of a hat is what you’re trading for this. I’m on the fence on this one but it’s my observation.

Last edited:
Back