• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Rob Holding Training Alone

The one who was refusing to sign a new contract, that’s the one £1m or another year salary and leave for nothing. Mmm
Are you suggesting O’Brien didn’t want to stay with us? He wanted some recognised progression which we didn’t give and Textor said come and play for us at Lyon. Palace were stupid not to offer him a better deal with us when it was clear he had a decent future.

I’m pretty sure everyone knew that but still let Textor take him for a small fee. We’ll never know the full story but you can virtually guarantee that this deal was a sweetener to Textor. An £18m profit within a year or so confirms this.

Are you suggesting O’Brien didn’t want to stay with us? He wanted some recognised progression which we didn’t give and Textor said come and play for us at Lyon. Palace were stupid not to offer him a better deal with us when it was clear he had a decent future.

I’m pretty sure everyone knew that but still let Textor take him for a small fee. We’ll never know the full story but you can virtually guarantee that this deal was a sweetener to Textor. An £18m profit within a year or so confirms this.
Agree with this - if O'Brien wanted minutes we could have done another loan. He is still only 23 now so he couldn't have left on a free even if he didn't sign a new contract.

We know there were championship clubs keen on him so that would have been the obvious option this time last season.

Agree with this - if O'Brien wanted minutes we could have done another loan. He is still only 23 now so he couldn't have left on a free even if he didn't sign a new contract.

We know there were championship clubs keen on him so that would have been the obvious option this time last season.
Ward and Clyne both got game time in our back three ahead of Holding. O’Brien would have been a decent option and given us some height in both boxes at set pieces had we kept him rather than sign Holding.

I’m pretty sure you said he did not want another loan

My impression was that it was a Textor sweetenr meant to be in return for his help in landing Franca's signature. Not that I'm convinced yet that that was any more than anoher Textor sweetener.

I’m pretty sure you said he did not want another loan
That was my understanding (that O'Brien didn't want another loan move). With Guehi and Andersen as the two CBs under Hodgson and with Richards as the first sub option, O'Brien was never going to get much, if any, first team minutes had he stayed with us last season.

Add to that any behind the scenes Textor factor and we had little choice other than to sell him for the amount we did.

You can tell its International break week. Still stories out there about Holding removing CPFC from his Instagram account. When did that ever become a thing? Who cares?
I know shall we move this thread to Football. Hang on that doesn't work either. How about Nostalgia.

Back