• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Rob Holding Training Alone

You know what, I'm not gonna be cocky, whether you're earning £1 a week or £45,000 a week nobody ever finds it easy to have you career stall, whatever your job may be. We all want to do the best we can.

I hope it can work out for everybody concerned.

You know what, I'm not gonna be cocky, whether you're earning £1 a week or £45,000 a week nobody ever finds it easy to have you career stall, whatever your job may be. We all want to do the best we can.

One is considerably more easy than the other though. 🙂

I don't mean to be harsh on him but he'll be 29 this month and has played 125 games in his career so he's arguably been stalled for a while.

Looks like he chose money over football.
Different strokes. If that's his choice who's to say he's wrong? Maybe he's come to terms with not being a regular pick and becoming a multi-millionaire by his early thirties doesn't seem a bad life choice.

I heard he threw his toys out the pram after hearing OG say we were going to play a holding player and then not getting selected. Easy mistake to make!

It’ll be a challenge to move him on and we’ll lose money in the deal. The sad thing is we sold a better centre half for peanuts then spent millions on a player we haven’t used. Ah well. Can’t win them all.

It’ll be a challenge to move him on and we’ll lose money in the deal. The sad thing is we sold a better centre half for peanuts then spent millions on a player we haven’t used. Ah well. Can’t win them all.
1. Which centre half have we sold for peanuts? We sold Andersen for £25m plus add-ons which is more than we paid for him and at 28 he wasn't going to increase in value
2. Who have we spent millions on that we haven't used? - Holding cost us £1m. There were add-ons but they clearly haven't been triggered. He was hardly a high risk purchase at that price so we're no going to lose a great deal if we let him go for free.

1. Which centre half have we sold for peanuts? We sold Andersen for £25m plus add-ons which is more than we paid for him and at 28 he wasn't going to increase in value
2. Who have we spent millions on that we haven't used? - Holding cost us £1m. There were add-ons but they clearly haven't been triggered. He was hardly a high risk purchase at that price so we're no going to lose a great deal if we let him go for free.
Referring to O’Brien perhaps?

Wasn’t it £4m? It sticks in my mind because I remember thinking it’s about £4m too much!!

Wasn’t it £4m? It sticks in my mind because I remember thinking it’s about £4m too much!!
The £4m included the add-ons, which clearly won't be triggered as things stand. I heard £1m at the time and I note Transfermarkt has the fee down as €1.2m but gives the player's value at that time as somewhat more than that. They're usually pretty reliable when it comes to actual fees paid even if their player valuations can be somewhat on the conservative side (usually but maybe not in the case of Holding).

O’Brien went for 1 million euros and a year later Everton paid 19.5 million for him. Ok, so the reported 4 million for Holding included fees not triggered so , my mistake, that’s only 1.2 million for a guy we haven’t used. Peanuts out and peanuts in. I stand corrected. Still not our finest decision.

Back