• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Steve Parish interview

Teddy Eagle

Country
Scotland
Sky showed an extract from a 45 minute interview which will be on Sky Sports YouTube tomorrow morning. Nothing too revealing so far except we didn't receive any bids for Eze in the window.

To my mind it sounded as though if Newcastle had met the asking price Parish would have still let Guihi leave even though Anderson left . And said he would welcome Newcastle coming back in for Guihi.
Also it seemed to me that he was pushing for an offer for Eze,saying he was surprisedthat nobodycame in for him. Even though he said he would have been disappointed if him and Olise left at the same time.
But it didn't seem as though he would have stopped any of these transfers going through.
Unfortunately for me this sounds like he just wants to make money for these players.
It seems like maybe him and Freedman are acting like football agents and maybe getting a percentage of any sales. Just like some managers have in the past.
Although probably not illegal,it does make you wonder exactly what is going on with Al of this.

To my mind it sounded as though if Newcastle had met the asking price Parish would have still let Guihi leave even though Anderson left . And said he would welcome Newcastle coming back in for Guihi.
Also it seemed to me that he was pushing for an offer for Eze,saying he was surprisedthat nobodycame in for him. Even though he said he would have been disappointed if him and Olise left at the same time.
But it didn't seem as though he would have stopped any of these transfers going through.
Unfortunately for me this sounds like he just wants to make money for these players.
It seems like maybe him and Freedman are acting like football agents and maybe getting a percentage of any sales. Just like some managers have in the past.
Although probably not illegal,it does make you wonder exactly what is going on with Al of this.
wish there was a dislike button on this new board

I was making similar points on the Guehi thread and felt slightly disillusioned by the interview.

This wasn't the ambitious, aspirational Steve; instead he seemed intent on hawking around our best players.
No doubt some will say he's being pragmatic and a realist , but it seemed almost defeatist which is unlike him.

It's a dangerous assumption that the players being brought in will be at the standard of the players they are replacing.
By Steve's own admission our best players are superstars or 'generational talents.'

It may be in time that the likes of Franca will be, but that surely can't be said of the likes of Kamada, Sarr and Nketiah even if I'm sure they will have a contribution to make.

I have been critical of SP in the past but this is nonsense

Parish and co were the best signings Palace ever had.

I have no issue with criticisms because all fans have that right....right or wrong....because they care but for me Parish has more than enough good will capital in the bank to decide upon whether it's in the club's best interests for a player to leave.

He has access to far more information than us and so essentially it comes down to whether you trust the guy or not.

I think he's earned some.

I think his interviews are honest and pretty clear. We are progressing steadily but have to accept we are not yet a “destination club” but hope to be one day. That’s what the South London Pride is all about. South London needs and deserves a big club with a decent ground capable of winning things. We are however becoming a destination for young talent. Kids from Lewisham might aspire to play for Palace rather than go to Arsenal and be ignored by Arteta.

I also think Glasner gets “the project” and gives a very good interview. It’s great to hear what they both genuinely think. As a club we’re lucky to have Steve, Dougie, and Ollie running the show. We should trust them and enjoy the ride.

I think his interviews are honest and pretty clear. We are progressing steadily but have to accept we are not yet a “destination club” but hope to be one day. That’s what the South London Pride is all about. South London needs and deserves a big club with a decent ground capable of winning things. We are however becoming a destination for young talent. Kids from Lewisham might aspire to play for Palace rather than go to Arsenal and be ignored by Arteta.

I also think Glasner gets “the project” and gives a very good interview. It’s great to hear what they both genuinely think. As a club we’re lucky to have Steve, Dougie, and Ollie running the show. We should trust them and enjoy the ride.
Totally agree. Looking at some of the specimens running different clubs should make it clear we're very fortunate in what we have. Obviously it would be great to see us at the top but you don't miss what you've never had so it's a nice ride at the moment with no one taking mad risks on future success.
Who'd have thought a few years ago that we'd be able to turn down a £65 m bid for a player?

the selling of our big stars is to fund the new stand - that's how we progress to being a destination rather than a stepping stone. It's completely unrealistic to expect we're going to keep thye likes of Eze and Wharton for the rest of their careers - don't sell too early of course, but if you try and hold on to them for too long you risk losing an absolute fortune. Hate to say it but we have to do what Brighton do in terms of selling on and re-recruiting, and we're doing very well - to lose the genius of Olise and have such a good squad for this season shows what a good job they're all doing.

At the end of the day Parish has kept us up longer than anyone. He surely must know what he is doing. He has been in it for the long haul since saving us.

Even tho I do not like these interviews he does, I trust him more than any other owner.

I trust SP to do the best for us, no question. But I do worry when he basically says " Come and get our best players" to other clubs. We all know that Guehi, Eze , Wharton will go sooner rather than later but I think it would be more prudent to say nothing to sky and carry on the good work quietly. And what if we lose those 3 at the same time next year ? Will Glasner be happy ?

I was making similar points on the Guehi thread and felt slightly disillusioned by the interview.

This wasn't the ambitious, aspirational Steve; instead he seemed intent on hawking around our best players.
No doubt some will say he's being pragmatic and a realist , but it seemed almost defeatist which is unlike him.

It's a dangerous assumption that the players being brought in will be at the standard of the players they are replacing.
By Steve's own admission our best players are superstars or 'generational talents.'

It may be in time that the likes of Franca will be, but that surely can't be said of the likes of Kamada, Sarr and Nketiah even if I'm sure they will have a contribution to make.

Especially as he said he wants us to be in Champs Lge but then comes across as pimping our best players out!

I know br*ghton have a way of moving their best players on and still progressing but they have a much better scouting system and sign a lot more players that fit into their system smoothly as opposed to us signing the odd star from the Championpship that turns into a star.

Don't like the guy and he has to be careful that when he puts our ticket prices up by a fair bit, to pay for his nice shiny stand, that we aren't languishing at the lower reaches of the Prem still or in the Championship by then.

I must admit that as a fan. I didn’t like that interview or certainly the part of it that I saw.

It struck me more as a CEO laying out a business plan than an ebullient fan running a club which is disappointing but somewhat expected given the expenditure we have coming up and the fact we probably want Textor out the door.

There are often differing wars to interpret the same words. Whilst I didn’t like to hear some of the comments out loud he basically said what we know about the state of football and nearly ALL clubs bar a very few globally.

If players have serious ambitions or financial motivations no amount of handcuffs will keep them and inevitably form will dip or unrest in the club will percolate.

He was publicly advertising for young talented players to come and trust in Crystal Palace with their furures. Football has moved on from the Leicester phenomenon and I think we and Parish are going about it the right way even if it’s difficult to accept for some supporters.

I trust SP to do the best for us, no question. But I do worry when he basically says " Come and get our best players" to other clubs. We all know that Guehi, Eze , Wharton will go sooner rather than later but I think it would be more prudent to say nothing to sky and carry on the good work quietly. And what if we lose those 3 at the same time next year ? Will Glasner be happy ?
I get that but what if he knows that Guehi and Eze won't resign?

If you know a player is going then you job is to maximise your return. Until then we get to appreciate them being Palace players. It really is a novel and great situation for Palace to have such sought after players and marks us out over most clubs our size.

I must admit that as a fan. I didn’t like that interview or certainly the part of it that I saw.

It struck me more as a CEO laying out a business plan than an ebullient fan running a club which is disappointing but somewhat expected given the expenditure we have coming up and the fact we probably want Textor out the door.
I really have faith in the man. I think he has a very good head on him when it comes to business and has made good decision after good decision for the club.

He's taken a mid sized Championship club on the brink of wipe out and placed it up into the relative clouds. Look at Leeds....a club with a much larger fan base and stadium and compare it to us....or loads of other similar clubs to us who weren't even on the brink.

I really have faith in the man. I think he has a very good head on him when it comes to business and has made good decision after good decision for the club.

He's taken a mid sized Championship club on the brink of wipe out and placed it up into the relative clouds. Look at Leeds....a club with a much larger fan base and stadium and compare it to us....or loads of other similar clubs to us who weren't even on the brink.
Not complaining, saying it as I see it and as a fan I’m always looking for more than I’m likely to get. It’s the nature of supporting a club that is always on the fringes of major achievement.

Not complaining, saying it as I see it and as a fan I’m always looking for more than I’m likely to get. It’s the nature of supporting a club that is always on the fringes of major achievement.
Know what you mean Eagle, there is also the added complication that fans get more emotionally attached to some players than others, they might tend to be the more starry players but not exclusively, which makes them leaving harder to accept. It's odd that even after decades and so many players in and out that this attachment doesn't get any less.

Know what you mean Eagle, there is also the added complication that fans get more emotionally attached to some players than others, they might tend to be the more starry players but not exclusively, which makes them leaving harder to accept. It's odd that even after decades and so many players in and out that this attachment doesn't get any less.
As Ted Lasso said to coach Beard when the fans were slagging him off. “Leave it, it’s their club, we’re just passing through”.

Back