• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The best TV shows of all time ranked...

No mention yet of:
Porridge
Dixon of Dock Green
The Avengers
Hancock's Half Hour
Till Death Us Do Part
The Prisoner
Gideon's Way
Public Eye
The Human Jungle

All better than some of the junk that's churned out today.
Porridge was a great comedy in its day, but comedy rarely ages well. It is still one of the best British comedies and still worth watching if only for the brilliant performance of Ronnie Barker along with a strong supporting cast.
I should have put On The Buses on my list. Funny in its day and still funny now
in a nostalgic way. The snobby critics hated it. The cast were superb, but it fizzled out when Reg Varney and Michael Robbins left.

I just realised that I forgot the original series of Rebus with John Hannah. Brilliant.

You can keep your Ken Stott. The latest one was an improvement on his efforts, but still not a patch on Hannah.

1) Reggie Perrin
2) Fawlty Towers
3) Porridge
4) The Singing Detective
5) The Century of Self - Adam Curtis
6) The Power of Nightmares - Adam Curtis
7) The Trap - Adam Curtis
8) Magnetic North - Jonathan Meades
9) The House that Gerry Built - Jonathan Meades
10) The History of Britain - Schama

Porridge was a great comedy in its day, but comedy rarely ages well. It is still one of the best British comedies and still worth watching if only for the brilliant performance of Ronnie Barker along with a strong supporting cast.
I should have put On The Buses on my list. Funny in its day and still funny now
in a nostalgic way. The snobby critics hated it. The cast were superb, but it fizzled out when Reg Varney and Michael Robbins left.
As an aside Reg Varney always seemed an odd choice as Stan since he was 53 at the time. Nothing wrong with with being 53 but you'd have thought there were younger options available. He was 10 years older than Blakey - Stephen Lewis who wrote the film & play Sparrows Can't Sing.

1) Reggie Perrin
2) Fawlty Towers
3) Porridge
4) The Singing Detective
Jonathan Meades is brilliant. His books are full of extravagant words which make Willo sound like Tonto with a hangover.

Yes, Reg got away with playing a younger man and Stephen Lewis looked old for his age with a bit of make up to help.
Sadly, Robbins died young of cancer, Grant killed himself, and Anna Karen died in a house fire.

1) Reggie Perrin
2) Fawlty Towers
3) Porridge
4) The Singing Detective
I recently watched Reginald Perrin again, and I have to say that series one was OK, but the later series was very average. Not as good as I remember it. I think that Rising Damp has aged a little better.

Rossiter burned bright until his death, but his perfectionism was hard going for his fellow actors.

Back