• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The best covers of all time?

Eddie Moliano

Country
England
I read that Always on My Mind by the Pet Shop Boys was voted the best ever cover song. Mark Ronson's take on Valerie with Amy Winehouse was good. The Clash - I Fought The Law is another. Thoughts?

Bauhaus did a cover of Bowie's 'Ziggy Stardust'............better than the original.

The tune below was approximately a hundred years after the original. And recently again covered in the Sherlock Holmes movie. Arthur Conan Doyle.....a Proto-Eagle.

The Stranglers 'walk on by' .....had a bit more edge than the cheery slow original. Plus Dave Greenfield's amazing solo in the middle.

Last edited:
Twist and Shout - The Beatles
Mister Postman - The Beatles

Back in their early days when they did some covers.

Of course it goes without saying that Cocker's 'a little help from my friends' is an obvious classic of a classic.

Great Rock Covers
Van Halen- You really got me (the Kinks)
Gun-Word up (cameo)
Judas Priest- Green Manaleshi (Fleetwood mac)
The Stranglers- Walk on by (Diane Warrick)
AC/DC-Baby please dont go (Big Joe Williams)
Pearl Jam- Rocking in the free world (Neil Young)
Metallica- Whiskey in the jar (The Dubliners/Thin Lizzy)

How about the live version at the concert for George where Prince played some blistering lead guitar?
Did not see that performance, but Eric Clapton at the Albert Hall 2002 concert for George was also brilliant with Harrison’s son and McCartney backing him

Twist and Shout - The Beatles
Mister Postman - The Beatles

Back in their early days when they did some covers.

Of course it goes without saying that Cocker's 'a little help from my friends' is an obvious classic of a classic.
Nice one Stirling. I've got a US 45 of Mr Postman coupled with Roll Over Beethoven on my jukebox - frequently played.

Adele's version Make Me Feel Your Love is a beautiful interpretation of Dylan's fine love song.

While we're at it, a cover I hate is Whitney Houston screeching I Will Always Love You.

Back