• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Johnstone and Ahamada want to leave

tonypeers5

Country
England
Not the biggest disasters if they leave but the squad is really looking thin. Feel like there must be a number inbound this week if we’re willing to let this many players go.

Johnstone could have a number of clubs interested but can’t see many going for Ahamada.

Not the biggest disasters if they leave but the squad is really looking thin. Feel like there must be a number inbound this week if we’re willing to let this many players go.

Johnstone could have a number of clubs interested but can’t see many going for Ahamada.
I think Ahamada wants to go out on loan so as to get game time. He's still only 22 so time to improve.

Ahamada just not good enough at the moment, sad to see Johnston pushed out
I'd give Ahamada some time and space, he was the main reason we won up at Wolves last season when he came on early to replace Hughes, he's a raw talent but he could be a real asset at some point not too far off - maybe a loan for him, but he's got more about him than Riedewald had, could become a really useful squad player like Schlupp or Ayew have been, he can carry the ball very well.

I'd give Ahamada some time and space, he was the main reason we won up at Wolves last season when he came on early to replace Hughes, he's a raw talent but he could be a real asset at some point not too far off - maybe a loan for him, but he's got more about him than Riedewald had, could become a really useful squad player like Schlupp or Ayew have been, he can carry the ball very well.

Shortly after arriving he said that he was firstly a No 8 and next a No 6 and plays box-to-box.

Will be gutted to lose Johnstone. Don't blame him in the slightest for wanting to go as he's far to good to be a Number 2.
For me he's better than Henderson and certainly fills me with more confidence than Henderson does.

If we do lose both then I really hope we have a number of players coming in. The squad is looking very thin.

Ahamada was a terrible signing. Getting rid of him might prove tricky.

Johnstone is likely heading downwards if he can't handle competition at this club. Not a good look for an England goalkeeper.

I don't rate Ahamada one bit. Every time I have seen him play I think he is terrible and I really don't understand the fuss about him when Vieria signed him. Johnstone on the other hand is a brilliant keeper that I will be sad to see go. If he's so unhappy being away from him family up north then I don't understand why he signed for us in the first place...

None of the managers have been able to work out where to play Ahamada. He was doing really well in Germany before he joined so I don't think we'd have too much trouble getting him a loan back there, but maybe a loan to a Championship club might be better if Palace still think he's got a future with us.

I like Ahamada, the one thing I'll give him is 'directness', he always seems likely to turn toward goal and head for it. Outside of that however I couldn't really comment on his passing, footballing intelligence, defensive work or shooting. I therefore question what else he brought to the table and therefore is there any place for him in a PL team? So I get the 'raw talent' label but that alone is not enough. Perhaps he'd need more playing time but we can't afford him it.

Johnstone on the other hand always struck me as 'solid'. A solid all round keeper, more so than Henderson. Henderson seems to rely upon a few thrills such as a long throw and using his feet but I'd prefer someone more concentrated on just keeping the ball out of the net and Johnstone is stronger there for me. My only question with Johnstone is 'where's his head at?'. If it were somewhere sensible, I'd imagine he'd have a far more successful career and he'd be our no.1.

Ahamada was a terrible signing. Getting rid of him might prove tricky.

Johnstone is likely heading downwards if he can't handle competition at this club. Not a good look for an England goalkeeper.

At the time we signed him he was the best young player in Bundersliga (i think he won an award for it) and there was some hope when OG came in that he knew all about him and that he would get some game time.

At the time we signed him he was the best young player in Bundersliga (i think he won an award for it) and there was some hope when OG came in that he knew all about him and that he would get some game time.
Well, for whatever reason, he hasn't shown that form playing for us. Probably better for both parties if he moves on.

Ahamada has suffered in a similar way to Mateta. He hasn't been given a run of games. His stats are as follows:
22/23 8 appearances all off the bench for a total of just 86 minutes - not exactly giving the lad a chance
23/24 20 appearances - ALL of them off the bench for 331 minutes with the game at Wolves the only one in which he got more than 30 minutes and that was because of injury if I remember correctly. Yes he got sent off near the end of the match for a second yellow but as I recall his introduction made a big difference to us.

The lad hasn't started a league game yet! He's just 22 and I think given regular game time from the start he'll prove to be a useful player but to get that regular game time he'll need to go out on loan to the Championship. (Mind you with the rate we're shipping players out on a permanent and not replacing them, he could soon be a regular starter for us! 😉)

Being reported that Johnstone to Wolves is quite close for 10m I believe I saw. Given Henderson's injury record we better be signing a replacement!
Yes, I imagine the Johnstone sale will happen. Shame because I think he’s been excellent for us but it is what it is. I too will be intrigued to see who we get in as our new No.2

In fairness to Henderson he was excellent tonight. Just need him to stay fit.

Back