BromleyMonkey
Member
- Country
England
That’s the one!! 😎 can’t believe it was 26 years ago nowI was there. The gig that was recorded for the 'familiar to millions' live CD?
England
That’s the one!! 😎 can’t believe it was 26 years ago nowI was there. The gig that was recorded for the 'familiar to millions' live CD?
England
At the risk of turning this thread into a fireside chat, I've got a little story about that gig that might qualify as winning something. Sort of.That’s the one!! 😎 can’t believe it was 26 years ago now
England
England
Brilliant 🤣At the risk of turning this thread into a fireside chat, I've got a little story about that gig that might qualify as winning something. Sort of.
We've were all in our local at the bottom end of Whitehorse Lane. Mate A says 'I'm going to enter the ballot/try waiting on the phone line to buy Oasis tickets for Wembley. I know I probably won't get through but if I do, who wants a ticket?'.
It was notoriously difficult to get the tickets (nothing changes) and we all thought it a fool's errand. Still, you just say 'Yes' in such circumstances. Unless, that is, you are Mate B, who has a stubborn streak at the best of times and who only gets worse after a pint.
'No' says Mate B 'because you won't get tickets, it's almost impossible'.
'Yeah, but if I do get them, do you want one?'.
'No, because you won't get any'.
'Yeah, but if I do'.
'No. Because you won't'.
Mate A has a heart of gold but is a very straightforward bloke. 'OK' he shrugs.
You can probably guess the rest!
We all had a good day out. Well, all of us except Mate B! 😆
Just shows, you've got to be in it to win it!
England
They probably had Oasis tickets to spare!Brilliant 🤣
My story is that I won the tickets from our run of the mill boring local newspaper the east Kent gazette. I wasn’t going to bother, but it was back when texting had just started to get big and suddenly all competitions you have to text in, but not this one, it was a good old fashioned answers on a postcard, so I thought hmmmm, how many people will bother now they can’t text in, especially in our small town in the depths of Kent, so I thought I’d do it, still not expecting to win though, I think the question was something stupid like what football team do the Gallagher’s support? 🤣
England
I was there for that one 👍I think the best thing I’ve ever won in a random competition was Oasis tickets. Now I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea, but for a fan it was massive, especially considering the crazy prices now. This was the penultimate gig(Bon Jovi was the last) at the old Wembley and it was mindblowing
The happy Mondays were the support and they were brilliant too
USA
If it is her, then she comes with her own handcuffs so at least you'll have that going for you.Christ, I think I might have ended up with the one from before, then.....😉
England
England
England
England
I've just won two tickets for the Forest game this weekend via Sky VIP. Just a last minute entry, but surprise, surprise, I won.
Been a supporter for over 60 years and this will probably be my last visit to Selhurst Park as living in York and not getting any younger, 78 now, there is not much likelihood of coming back, the time and expense just makes it easier to watch the games on TV, unfortunately!!!
Really looking forward to it, as is my daughter who will accompany me on the trip, also a Palace supporter for a number of years.
England
Blimey that’s impressive, loved subbueteo when I was a kid. We had a league and because we were all palace fans we had to pick different teams and I was Everton and my top scorer was Brian Kidd 😎😁I won top prize of £500 at gala bingo a decade ago, a week after winning it but having to share it with another winner.
I have approx 70 trophies from when i used to play subbuteo to a good standard between '90-07. I was british and english youth champion in '93 in table soccer (the older form of the game before they merged) and my best result was a 2-2 draw with the then world no.1 in approx '03.
England
I've won quite a bit of stuff in my time but your Mate B in your tale has reminded me of a time years ago.....the landlord of my local used to put up stable staff when Brighton races was on. One Saturday in the pub the payphone in the bar went and it was for Roy, the Landlord.At the risk of turning this thread into a fireside chat, I've got a little story about that gig that might qualify as winning something. Sort of.
We've were all in our local at the bottom end of Whitehorse Lane. Mate A says 'I'm going to enter the ballot/try waiting on the phone line to buy Oasis tickets for Wembley. I know I probably won't get through but if I do, who wants a ticket?'.
It was notoriously difficult to get the tickets (nothing changes) and we all thought it a fool's errand. Still, you just say 'Yes' in such circumstances. Unless, that is, you are Mate B, who has a stubborn streak at the best of times and who only gets worse after a pint.
'No' says Mate B 'because you won't get tickets, it's almost impossible'.
'Yeah, but if I do get them, do you want one?'.
'No, because you won't get any'.
'Yeah, but if I do'.
'No. Because you won't'.
Mate A has a heart of gold but is a very straightforward bloke. 'OK' he shrugs.
You can probably guess the rest!
We all had a good day out. Well, all of us except Mate B! 😆
Just shows, you've got to be in it to win it!
England
Don't come to me looking for sympathy!I've won quite a bit of stuff in my time but your Mate B in your tale has reminded me of a time years ago.....the landlord of my local used to put up stable staff when Brighton races was on. One Saturday in the pub the payphone in the bar went and it was for Roy, the Landlord.
He came off the phone and announced to all of us that it was a Newmarket trainer on the phone, Ron Sheather, whose staff had stayed over and he was letting Roy know that his horse, Chief Singer, was going to win the Coventry Stakes at Royal Ascot the following week.
Chief Singer was currently 50-1 and had never run before.
I liked to think that I knew a bit about horse racing and told everyone that no horse from a "smaller" stable ever won 1st time out at Royal Ascot. I didn't back it.
Of course, it did win, went on to become a top racehorse, and the whole pub went off to Majorca on their winnings. Except me.
At least it was quiet in the bar that week but I've never ignored a tip since (not sure there's been a winning tip since)
I've just won two tickets for the Forest game this weekend via Sky VIP. Just a last minute entry, but surprise, surprise, I won.
Been a supporter for over 60 years and this will probably be my last visit to Selhurst Park as living in York and not getting any younger, 78 now, there is not much likelihood of coming back, the time and expense just makes it easier to watch the games on TV, unfortunately!!!
Really looking forward to it, as is my daughter who will accompany me on the trip, also a Palace supporter for a number of years.
England
England