Has anyone ever won anything ?

That’s the one!! 😎 can’t believe it was 26 years ago now
At the risk of turning this thread into a fireside chat, I've got a little story about that gig that might qualify as winning something. Sort of.

We've were all in our local at the bottom end of Whitehorse Lane. Mate A says 'I'm going to enter the ballot/try waiting on the phone line to buy Oasis tickets for Wembley. I know I probably won't get through but if I do, who wants a ticket?'.

It was notoriously difficult to get the tickets (nothing changes) and we all thought it a fool's errand. Still, you just say 'Yes' in such circumstances. Unless, that is, you are Mate B, who has a stubborn streak at the best of times and who only gets worse after a pint.

'No' says Mate B 'because you won't get tickets, it's almost impossible'.

'Yeah, but if I do get them, do you want one?'.

'No, because you won't get any'.

'Yeah, but if I do'.

'No. Because you won't'.

Mate A has a heart of gold but is a very straightforward bloke. 'OK' he shrugs.

You can probably guess the rest!

We all had a good day out. Well, all of us except Mate B! 😆

Just shows, you've got to be in it to win it!
 
Oh and I also won tickets to the premiere of the CPFC centenary DVD in 2005. I had saved my company £500k a year with a computer program I wrote and as a thank you they bought me the centenary DVD and shirt. They were automatically entered into a competition and won. I went up to Fairfield Halls with my Dad and there were a few Palace names knocking about. Off the top of my head Simon Jordan, Iain Dowie, John Salako and Andy Johnson were there. The only one I approached was Salako, but my Dad p*ssed about for so long trying to work my camera phone that he got bored and walked off.
We sat in the balcony bit and all the 'celebs' were down the bottom. I vaguely remember Dowie standing up and telling a story about something to the audience.

Was quite fun being there and being able to say I was there.
 
At the risk of turning this thread into a fireside chat, I've got a little story about that gig that might qualify as winning something. Sort of.

We've were all in our local at the bottom end of Whitehorse Lane. Mate A says 'I'm going to enter the ballot/try waiting on the phone line to buy Oasis tickets for Wembley. I know I probably won't get through but if I do, who wants a ticket?'.

It was notoriously difficult to get the tickets (nothing changes) and we all thought it a fool's errand. Still, you just say 'Yes' in such circumstances. Unless, that is, you are Mate B, who has a stubborn streak at the best of times and who only gets worse after a pint.

'No' says Mate B 'because you won't get tickets, it's almost impossible'.

'Yeah, but if I do get them, do you want one?'.

'No, because you won't get any'.

'Yeah, but if I do'.

'No. Because you won't'.

Mate A has a heart of gold but is a very straightforward bloke. 'OK' he shrugs.

You can probably guess the rest!

We all had a good day out. Well, all of us except Mate B! 😆

Just shows, you've got to be in it to win it!
Brilliant 🤣

My story is that I won the tickets from our run of the mill boring local newspaper the east Kent gazette. I wasn’t going to bother, but it was back when texting had just started to get big and suddenly all competitions you have to text in, but not this one, it was a good old fashioned answers on a postcard, so I thought hmmmm, how many people will bother now they can’t text in, especially in our small town in the depths of Kent, so I thought I’d do it, still not expecting to win though, I think the question was something stupid like what football team do the Gallagher’s support? 🤣
 
Brilliant 🤣

My story is that I won the tickets from our run of the mill boring local newspaper the east Kent gazette. I wasn’t going to bother, but it was back when texting had just started to get big and suddenly all competitions you have to text in, but not this one, it was a good old fashioned answers on a postcard, so I thought hmmmm, how many people will bother now they can’t text in, especially in our small town in the depths of Kent, so I thought I’d do it, still not expecting to win though, I think the question was something stupid like what football team do the Gallagher’s support? 🤣
They probably had Oasis tickets to spare!
 
I think the best thing I’ve ever won in a random competition was Oasis tickets. Now I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea, but for a fan it was massive, especially considering the crazy prices now. This was the penultimate gig(Bon Jovi was the last) at the old Wembley and it was mindblowing
The happy Mondays were the support and they were brilliant too
I was there for that one 👍
 
I won top prize of £500 at gala bingo a decade ago, a week after winning it but having to share it with another winner.

I have approx 70 trophies from when i used to play subbuteo to a good standard between '90-07. I was british and english youth champion in '93 in table soccer (the older form of the game before they merged) and my best result was a 2-2 draw with the then world no.1 in approx '03.
 
I've just won two tickets for the Forest game this weekend via Sky VIP. Just a last minute entry, but surprise, surprise, I won.
Been a supporter for over 60 years and this will probably be my last visit to Selhurst Park as living in York and not getting any younger, 78 now, there is not much likelihood of coming back, the time and expense just makes it easier to watch the games on TV, unfortunately!!!
Really looking forward to it, as is my daughter who will accompany me on the trip, also a Palace supporter for a number of years.
 
In 1978, with some work mates in Brighton we bought two young greyhounds in training - Wotchit Buster and Wotchit Sunbeam. First night out they were both on the card 515m hurdles and 680m flat. Many of us had £5 doubles to show support. Both came in at 12-1.

Buster eventually ran open races and in August 1978 broke the world record for 515m at 28.71 secs. Bunty never reached the heights of the rest of the litter though.
 
I've just won two tickets for the Forest game this weekend via Sky VIP. Just a last minute entry, but surprise, surprise, I won.
Been a supporter for over 60 years and this will probably be my last visit to Selhurst Park as living in York and not getting any younger, 78 now, there is not much likelihood of coming back, the time and expense just makes it easier to watch the games on TV, unfortunately!!!
Really looking forward to it, as is my daughter who will accompany me on the trip, also a Palace supporter for a number of years.

I want us to win even more now for you!!
 
I won top prize of £500 at gala bingo a decade ago, a week after winning it but having to share it with another winner.

I have approx 70 trophies from when i used to play subbuteo to a good standard between '90-07. I was british and english youth champion in '93 in table soccer (the older form of the game before they merged) and my best result was a 2-2 draw with the then world no.1 in approx '03.
Blimey that’s impressive, loved subbueteo when I was a kid. We had a league and because we were all palace fans we had to pick different teams and I was Everton and my top scorer was Brian Kidd 😎😁
 
At the risk of turning this thread into a fireside chat, I've got a little story about that gig that might qualify as winning something. Sort of.

We've were all in our local at the bottom end of Whitehorse Lane. Mate A says 'I'm going to enter the ballot/try waiting on the phone line to buy Oasis tickets for Wembley. I know I probably won't get through but if I do, who wants a ticket?'.

It was notoriously difficult to get the tickets (nothing changes) and we all thought it a fool's errand. Still, you just say 'Yes' in such circumstances. Unless, that is, you are Mate B, who has a stubborn streak at the best of times and who only gets worse after a pint.

'No' says Mate B 'because you won't get tickets, it's almost impossible'.

'Yeah, but if I do get them, do you want one?'.

'No, because you won't get any'.

'Yeah, but if I do'.

'No. Because you won't'.

Mate A has a heart of gold but is a very straightforward bloke. 'OK' he shrugs.

You can probably guess the rest!

We all had a good day out. Well, all of us except Mate B! 😆

Just shows, you've got to be in it to win it!
I've won quite a bit of stuff in my time but your Mate B in your tale has reminded me of a time years ago.....the landlord of my local used to put up stable staff when Brighton races was on. One Saturday in the pub the payphone in the bar went and it was for Roy, the Landlord.

He came off the phone and announced to all of us that it was a Newmarket trainer on the phone, Ron Sheather, whose staff had stayed over and he was letting Roy know that his horse, Chief Singer, was going to win the Coventry Stakes at Royal Ascot the following week.

Chief Singer was currently 50-1 and had never run before.

I liked to think that I knew a bit about horse racing and told everyone that no horse from a "smaller" stable ever won 1st time out at Royal Ascot. I didn't back it.

Of course, it did win, went on to become a top racehorse, and the whole pub went off to Majorca on their winnings. Except me.

At least it was quiet in the bar that week but I've never ignored a tip since (not sure there's been a winning tip since)
 
I've won quite a bit of stuff in my time but your Mate B in your tale has reminded me of a time years ago.....the landlord of my local used to put up stable staff when Brighton races was on. One Saturday in the pub the payphone in the bar went and it was for Roy, the Landlord.

He came off the phone and announced to all of us that it was a Newmarket trainer on the phone, Ron Sheather, whose staff had stayed over and he was letting Roy know that his horse, Chief Singer, was going to win the Coventry Stakes at Royal Ascot the following week.

Chief Singer was currently 50-1 and had never run before.

I liked to think that I knew a bit about horse racing and told everyone that no horse from a "smaller" stable ever won 1st time out at Royal Ascot. I didn't back it.

Of course, it did win, went on to become a top racehorse, and the whole pub went off to Majorca on their winnings. Except me.

At least it was quiet in the bar that week but I've never ignored a tip since (not sure there's been a winning tip since)
Don't come to me looking for sympathy!

Try my mate, you know, Mate B...😉
 
A couple of months ago I won £3800 in the hippodrome casino.
But was frogmarched to the counter by security (as I was apparently a known ‘chip thief’) long story. They wouldn’t pay me out, gave me a receipt with £3800 on it and threw me out the side door.
A hew days later, after a bit of negotiating I got a bank transfer for £3300 , which worked out better as we went in ‘platinum lace’ next door and I’d have given most of it to the strippers.
So done alright, but got a life ban from the casino 🤦‍♂️
 
Good luck to you Brian. Hope you really enjoy the day.

I've just won two tickets for the Forest game this weekend via Sky VIP. Just a last minute entry, but surprise, surprise, I won.
Been a supporter for over 60 years and this will probably be my last visit to Selhurst Park as living in York and not getting any younger, 78 now, there is not much likelihood of coming back, the time and expense just makes it easier to watch the games on TV, unfortunately!!!
Really looking forward to it, as is my daughter who will accompany me on the trip, also a Palace supporter for a number of years.
 
On a Palace coach- to Wembley for the Zenith Cup final (1990?) - bought couple of raffle tickets and on return journey they only drew one of my tickets. Won a signed Palace shirt. Still got it in bottom of sock draw I think !
 
Won the "tin medal" at the golf club on Saturday morning, with a decent score (for me anyway).
Went to the pub on the evening to watch the football, they were having a charity casino night later, so me and a mate decided to stick around.
Spent £20 on chips, ended up winning £150 as highest chip winner on the night....gave the charity the odd £50. Still a good day all round.
 

Holmesdale Online Shop

Back
Top