• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Favourite dessert?

Once had a pear and butterscotch tart in a place in Honiton, Devon, with a dollop of clotted cream. It's deliciousness renders my description quite camp, can we have a thread about burgers, stews and meat puddings, this one's having a strange effect on me. I hope I'm not going a bit French Fancy.

If you pay for a frozen tarte au citron it is 30% of the price of non-frozen and there is no discernable difference in taste or quality, cut a strawberry in half and place it to the side, maybe position a basil leaf on top for decorative purposes and eat dainily with a dessert fork with little finger pointing upwards. An espresso to follow or accompany, I've never had a shot of Limancello with it but it sounds a capital idea,.
Ha, you beat me to it.

Recommend any particular frozen variety (but to has to taste lemony)?

Does anyone particularly like Christmas pudding instead of just accepting it as traditional?
In Scotland there's a variant called Clootie Dumpling which a less rich version which can sliced and fried along with a fry up or warmed up with custard as a dessert. Sounds a bit odd but it's nice either way.

Does anyone particularly like Christmas pudding instead of just accepting it as traditional?
In Scotland there's a variant called Clootie Dumpling which a less rich version which can sliced and fried along with a fry up or warmed up with custard as a dessert. Sounds a bit odd but it's nice either way.
In a team room in Glasgow I had an Arbroath Smokie and a Clootie Dumpling blind - no idea what was coming. The Clootie Dumpling was merely a slice of fruit cake, lighter than Dundee, and not how you describe. I am not casting doubt, the team room may have been a bit sh*te. The other thing was a posh kipper of course.

In a team room in Glasgow I had an Arbroath Smokie and a Clootie Dumpling blind - no idea what was coming. The Clootie Dumpling was merely a slice of fruit cake, lighter than Dundee, and not how you describe. I am not casting doubt, the team room may have been a bit sh*te. The other thing was a posh kipper of course.
It's similar to Dundee cake but is steamed rather than baked and has a touch of spice, usually cinnamon & ginger and is more like Christmas pudding in texture.
Another Scottish dessert is Cranachan which is very nice.

My new favourite is banoffee pie (it's really easy to make too). 😛 I recently found out it was created in England in the 70s. :england:
I believe it was a creation of the Hungry Monk Restaurant in Jevington, East Sussex, now closed.

My own favourite dessert is a Creme Brulee, or, if I fancy a good old traditional British pud, an Upside Down Apple Pudding with custard ( I now wait for somebody to tell me this is of German origin)

It's similar to Dundee cake but is steamed rather than baked and has a touch of spice, usually cinnamon & ginger and is more like Christmas pudding in texture.
Another Scottish dessert is Cranachan which is very nice.

Isn't that oatmeal, dairy and whisky - best consumed wearing a kilt and listening to the Alexander Brothers? Very Scottish sounding name - like chewing a brick with metal teeth.

It does sound nice but what is one's life expectancy after eating it?

Despite being South London born & bred, I love a slice of cold Christmas pudding with a big wedge of Wensleydale cheese - and hot too with custard - none of this brandy butter stuff!

Yep, I enjoy the Christmas pud lovingly made each year by Mrs POG. Sod the tradition - delicious with a couple of homemade mince pies and custard too.

I've not really thought about Christmas yet, but now I'm starting to drool.

Oh, and I'm a steamed syrup pudding fan as well.

I believe it was a creation of the Hungry Monk Restaurant in Jevington, East Sussex, now closed.

My own favourite dessert is a Creme Brulee, or, if I fancy a good old traditional British pud, an Upside Down Apple Pudding with custard ( I now wait for somebody to tell me this is of German origin)

doesn't eating that get quite messy and there's the risk of a rush of blood to the head!

Back