• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Main Stand redevelopment thread

Penge Eagle

Administrator
Staff member
Country
England
Keep updates for Selhurst Park redevelopment here.

Steve Parish gave TalkSport the latest on the new Main Stand: "That's going well. We're spending a lot of money this year – you probably won't see it much – we have to move the away dressing rooms. There's a video that we released about how the stand is going to look, so we have to move a lot of things around. We spent about £10m this year. By May next year we should be in a position with a really honed-down construction contract with all the costs and then things should accelerate from there."

Last edited:
The only really conceivable route I can see for Textor to get some sort of value on his shares would be Harris/Blitzer option. If H&B do take on a joint majority stake again, I can see them downscaling the new stand to a more sensible price. Maybe take it up 4-6,000 (c.30K capacity) on a far more conservative design.
A reduced scheme would sail through planning on an amendment, and a less flamboyant design could easily be delivered for say £60m as opposed to say £175m. It could also be delivered far quicker, although may necessitate losing that side for one season.
H&B will sensibly look at downsides (relegation, economy) v upside (increased revenue v cost.)
The other option is of course to find someone who wants to take 100% control. Im not sure the existing shareholders (less of course Textor) would want to sell at a true commercial value (low in the current climate). With the current tax threats from central government, I can't see paying silly money v return for a premier club is that exciting unless of course there is someone like Elon Musk lurking in the wings as a closet Palace fan, which I would imagine is very unlikely.
The third option is sit back, do nothing and see where we go and the economy go. At the moment we are on a very secure financial footing. It would seem foolish to rock that boat for the time being. We could do say a £10-20m face lift (maybe even increasing capacity a bit) and sit tight. Safe and secure as the country's foundations wobble.

Last edited:
The only really conceivable route I can see for Textor to get some sort of value on his shares would be Harris/Blitzer option. If H&B do take on a joint majority stake again, I can see them downscaling the new stand to a more sensible price. Maybe take it up 4-6,000 (c.30K capacity) on a far more conservative design.
A reduced scheme would sail through planning on an amendment, and a less flamboyant design could easily be delivered for say £60m as opposed to say £175m. It could also be delivered far quicker, although may necessitate losing that side for one season.
H&B will sensibly look at downsides (relegation, economy) v upside (increased revenue v cost.)
The other option is of course to find someone who wants to take 100% control. Im not sure the existing shareholders (less of course Textor) would want to sell at a true commercial value (low in the current climate). With the current tax threats from central government, I can't see paying silly money v return for a premier club is that exciting unless of course there is someone like Elon Musk lurking in the wings as a closet Palace fan, which I would imagine is very unlikely.
The third option is sit back, do nothing and see where we go and the economy go. At the moment we are on a very secure financial footing. It would seem foolish to rock that boat for the time being. We could do say a £10-20m face lift (maybe even increasing capacity a bit) and sit tight. Safe and secure as the country's foundations wobble.
You’re not riding this dream wave then? 😂

You total miss the point. Other clubs have or are building state of the art stadiums with large capacities and top facilities. We have to hang on to their coat tails if we are to remain a top level club. That will not be achieved by some low budget quick fix. As it is, the new stand will only make half the ground up to a good standard. Years of underdevelopment have put us behind most clubs of a similar size and way behind the bigger clubs in terms of stadium development.

This project is already a couple of years behind schedule. It can't happen quick enough. We need to be thinking about the next phase, not indulging in small club negativity.

I'll turn Hrolf's statement into a question:

"Do we want to remain a top level club?"

For the first time in our history, we've cemented ourselves in the country's top league - 12 years and counting. I, for one, want us to remain here. I want to see quality football every week. If we want to remain in the PL we have to build the new stand and then look at plans of how to develop the remaining two sides as far as is feasible.

Back