US Politics

Back on executions, a firing squad streamed to whoever wants to watch.

Pete Hegseth is behind this so, by definition, it must be wrong.

I am against the death penalty per se so I am not well placed to provide impartial comment. I am prepared to put my differences aside for this particular fecker as I see it as the MPs shooting him dead on the spot, only now as opposed to then.

However, by way of someone who has the right to comment, a guy who was shot 7 times including in the head but survived says he has no care what form of execution is adopted, but he does not agree with the public screening.

That's unarguable, surely?
I am not against the death penalty per se but a public execution is barbaric.

If we are going down this road then I suggest celebrity death match. Each week a leading figure from the 2 main parties will table it out gladiator style to the death. in a ring outside congress.
 
I am not against the death penalty per se but a public execution is barbaric.

If we are going down this road then I suggest celebrity death match. Each week a leading figure from the 2 main parties will table it out gladiator style to the death. in a ring outside congress.
It would certainly bring close the consequences of their policies that they enact from a safe cozy distance.
 
It looks like Hegseth hit the charlie and JD a little early... but I'm sure there will be millions tuned in to watch - kids as well. Americans can do what they want - and the US citizens voted them in. I suppose its a firing squad as he was military. If he was a civilian it could have been a live streamed hanging which i think is the federal execution of choice.
I can see why people are shocked, but why surprised? As one of the US posters said, why should the US be held against a higher moral than say Iran of Saudi?
 
It looks like Hegseth hit the charlie and JD a little early... but I'm sure there will be millions tuned in to watch - kids as well. Americans can do what they want - and the US citizens voted them in. I suppose its a firing squad as he was military. If he was a civilian it could have been a live streamed hanging which i think is the federal execution of choice.
I can see why people are shocked, but why surprised? As one of the US posters said, why should the US be held against a higher moral than say Iran of Saudi?
When you're in the forces and you kill your fellow servicemen, it's treason and you will be executed. That's what you sign up for. Forces members will watch this and celebrate. That's their prerogative whether you or I agree with it. The killer knew this would happen, likely wanted to be martyred. Might be better off keeping him alive for life in very minimal conditions and live stream that. But it's their choice.
 
It looks like Hegseth hit the charlie and JD a little early... but I'm sure there will be millions tuned in to watch - kids as well. Americans can do what they want - and the US citizens voted them in. I suppose its a firing squad as he was military. If he was a civilian it could have been a live streamed hanging which i think is the federal execution of choice.
I can see why people are shocked, but why surprised? As one of the US posters said, why should the US be held against a higher moral than say Iran of Saudi?
Re higher moral code, difficult to express an opinion if that's the case.
 
When you're in the forces and you kill your fellow servicemen, it's treason and you will be executed. That's what you sign up for. Forces members will watch this and celebrate. That's their prerogative whether you or I agree with it. The killer knew this would happen, likely wanted to be martyred. Might be better off keeping him alive for life in very minimal conditions and live stream that. But it's their choice.
He was charged and convicted of murder - not charged with treason, but the outcome sentence is the same - death!
I have a feeling the live stream may not go ahead. Hegseth is a bit of a hot head.
 
Livestream.

Is that what we've come to?

Back to the good old days.

In Victorian times, in the UK, Thomas Cook used to do special tourist trips to see public hangings

Well, at least it kept people in jobs, eh?

Different country, I know, but I'm sure public executions were the order of the day in 19thC USA, weren't they?

A good old return to traditional values.
 
Last edited:
It looks like Hegseth hit the charlie and JD a little early... but I'm sure there will be millions tuned in to watch - kids as well. Americans can do what they want - and the US citizens voted them in. I suppose its a firing squad as he was military. If he was a civilian it could have been a live streamed hanging which i think is the federal execution of choice.
I can see why people are shocked, but why surprised? As one of the US posters said, why should the US be held against a higher moral than say Iran of Saudi?
That is not a serious question.

Why should Andy Burnham be held to a higher moral standard than Ming the Merciless?
 
When you're in the forces and you kill your fellow servicemen, it's treason and you will be executed. That's what you sign up for. Forces members will watch this and celebrate. That's their prerogative whether you or I agree with it. The killer knew this would happen, likely wanted to be martyred. Might be better off keeping him alive for life in very minimal conditions and live stream that. But it's their choice.
Of course it is their choice.

In the instant case, he knew he would be executed as you say and presumably accepted that as worthy martyrdom.

However, it was always the choice of the state to live stream it. And by doing so, they have reduced themselves to the level of Hamas, Al Queda and ISIS all of whom beheaded in the same way.

It is disgusting and beneath the dignity of a civilized modern democracy. I would hope that most Americans agree.
 

Holmesdale Online Shop

Back
Top