• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Transfer window review

PatrickA

Country
England
7.5 out of 10 for me.
Disappointing to lose Olise, Anderson and Johnstone, although there were reasons for all three.
On the positive side we held on to the rest of our better players and arguably have improved the overall squad.

Nketiah will I think be a success and at a reasonable price by today’s standards.
He seems a good fit for the club and is already friends with Eze and Guehi from childhood.
The system may have to be tweaked to accommodate him but Glasner is an accomplished coach so I don’t envisage problems.
Chaloboah is a very good player, pacy and decent in the air.
Munoz will be more comfortable bombing forward knowing that he has Chaloboah behind him as he can cover those right sided defensive gaps.

We haven’t replaced Olise with another tricky, creative type but that would have been very difficult.We have to hope that between them Kamada, Sarr and Nketiah can compensate and contribute the goals and assists.

I know little about Lacroix, but Glasner knows him well and clearly sees a defined role for him. I hope he’s dominant in the air, an area where we need to be better.

We didn’t get LWB cover, but I’m relaxed about that as I think Schlupp could provide this if necessary.

The departures of Ahamada and Edouard make sense, but given the strength of the squad now there are likely to be disappointed players each week who do not make match day squads.

Are you sure about Chalobah … don’t see any evidence that it went through
I’ve just checked and can’t find anything definitive.
He was supposed to have had a medical with a season long loan agreed without an option to buy.
Perhaps it concluded late and hasn’t been announced yet.

If we haven’t got him the window goes down to a 7 out of 10!

Chaloboah signing is now on the website.
Like Nketiah, another player who knows others in the squad already, which should help settling in.

Don’t think we could have had a much better window to be fair. We replaced the summer leavers with younger, better options and those who left in the window chose to do so while we made a decent profit on all but Ahamada. We’ve strengthened our defence with a tall young centre back who should make us less vulnerable at set pieces and a bonus signing in Chalobah who buys us time to bed in Riad and may cover for Guehi should he leave in January. While we lost Olise, Kamada and Sarr will add depth to the squad. Nketiah is an upgrade on Edouard so we now have 2 good strikers who give us different options.
Not finding a left back is a negative, but I’m sure Dougie will keep looking for one and for a genuine Olise replacement. A job well done by all involved. Looking forward to seeing the new look Palace with a more useful bench. COYP!

I think overall Glasner now has the players he wants . Bit more pace at the back , a lively striker as opposed to a static one and a good range of attacking and defensive midfielders that he can rotate depending on how he wants to play it .
Obviously losing Olise was a blow but the others that have left were not Glasner players and we got some good money for them . Well done to all ,Dougie and Parish have had a good window .

Over to you Ollie

Really difficult window to judge. Become accustomed to gradual change, but there have been so many this time. Really depends how long they take to bed in and of course some may flop.
The kick on from last season has now been ripped up and we almost start again, so for me the season could go either way now.
Think it could be a slow start, but hopefully building momentum as the season progresses.
My major gripe, is that it would have been better to have gone through such wholesale changes earlier in preseason.
Some exciting prospects in, but some very experienced heads let go.

I will ignore the money. As a fan I can only assess squad quality.

Olise is irreplaceable and I can't see us battering other premier clubs without him.

Anderson I am confident we have improved although it will take time.

Ayew bothers me but his age.

Johnstone is the only one that feels avoidable and questionable. A player who is unhappy and unsettled can be made happy and settled. We may rue.

Otherwise Doug got 2 attacking players he has been after for years, Glasner reunites with a player he presumably rates and we now have a pretty good % players who came through the England system. The average player age may also have fallen.

The issue is LWB. I am not relaxed about that. In January I suspect they will seek to convert Chalobah to permanent if he passes probation and there remains a need, but the club will go hell for leather for a LWB.

7.5 about right.

Really difficult window to judge. Become accustomed to gradual change, but there have been so many this time. Really depends how long they take to bed in and of course some may flop.
The kick on from last season has now been ripped up and we almost start again, so for me the season could go either way now.
Think it could be a slow start, but hopefully building momentum as the season progresses.
My major gripe, is that it would have been better to have gone through such wholesale changes earlier in preseason.
Some exciting prospects in, but some very experienced heads let go.
Interesting point as I notice other teams start new signings immediately but we rarely do.

Had the powers that be taken the phone off the hook and not participated we could be in a better position.

Now the circus is over for a while Glasner has to start again to blend a unit, rendering much of his preparation redundant.

We could have 4 points in the bag and a settled side, but the grass is always greener,

Business at any cost, panic when others have spent more than you, does not necessarily mean success.

😎

Interesting point as I notice other teams start new signings immediately but we rarely do.
Might that not be because they need to? Glasner will have the International break to work with Nketiah, Lacroix and Chalobah so I would expect to see all 3 of them play some part in the Leicester game, especially given the need for pacey defenders and attackers in his system.

Might that not be because they need to? Glasner will have the International break to work with Nketiah, Lacroix and Chalobah so I would expect to see all 3 of them play some part in the Leicester game, especially given the need for pacey defenders and attackers in his system.
Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't even mean low clubs. I suspect it has more to do with who is entirely used to the Premier League/ and/or the club's system.
I think it was West Ham the other day with three or four new signings on the pitch but I could be mistaken. Of course, the promoted sides are likely to do it.

Good window, considering we had no choice with Olise and kept the core of the squad otherwise. Personally, I don't like loan signings unless an option to buy is included, just feels like a lose-lose for us, player does badly or player does well and his price goes up (Gallagher).

Good window, considering we had no choice with Olise and kept the core of the squad otherwise. Personally, I don't like loan signings unless an option to buy is included, just feels like a lose-lose for us, player does badly or player does well and his price goes up (Gallagher).
I wonder whether loans with options to buy are becoming rarer with PL clubs insisting on an obligation to buy.

With regard to our two loaned players, I suspect Turner is a stop gap in the hope that either Goodman or Whitworth will be ready for next season after their current loans out.

As for Chalobah, might he be thought a possible replacement for Guehi and so a try before you buy possibility?

As a post script 10 years ago we would have been last in the buyers queue, our players would have been cast offs, lower league, or untested spares from overseas.

Now look at who we got and the clubs we got them from.

I wonder whether loans with options to buy are becoming rarer with PL clubs insisting on an obligation to buy.

With regard to our two loaned players, I suspect Turner is a stop gap in the hope that either Goodman or Whitworth will be ready for next season after their current loans out.

As for Chalobah, might he be thought a possible replacement for Guehi and so a try before you buy possibility?
Quite possibly, unfortunately we do not have a buy option so if he excels Chelsea will up the price as they did with Gallagher.

6/10

Too much trying to fill numbers for cheap not going for quality.

We don't address the issues we have needed another left back for years.

Olise & Ayew are big loses both offer something we have not replaced.

Why are we wasting a loan on a keeper madness we had 4 down to 3 with Sam leaving (1 of them was signed in summer & another had contract renewed what was the point)

I don't understand having loans which do not have option to buy as clause all other clubs do this but not us.

No loans from abroad.

Positives we have held onto players the media kept say was 100% going (hoping Marc signs a new deal)

We have loaned people out so they will get game time and may come back next season be apart of setup or even bump up value.

Squads age is looking lot more healthy need the likes of Ward to leave end of this season he is way past it clear to see when he came on in the cup.

New signings do offer a lot of pace I hope the manager uses them correctly in this way so far all the new signings have looked poor plus manager some odd choices. (I am only on about the signings which took place before last few games not the new ones who have not played yet)

I look at some of the signings other have done not the big teams and think we have really missed out on a few or even taking players form those clubs who are not even going to feature for them.

Olise going was out of our hands. We never would have signed him without a release clause in the first place.

Anderson was a surprise and a loss. But we seem to have replaced with someone Glasner rates.

Edouard and Ayew. I'm not bothered or surprised.

I would give us a 9. Just wish we didn't leave it till the last day and had a good pre season with the new crop.

Back