• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Thomas Tuchel

It’s a shame because as a character I quite like him, at least he’s got a bit of personality and a bit of fire in his belly, BUT it just feels so wrong

I would have backed Carsley up to the Greece game. No manager who is ready to be successful in international tournaments should need to learn the lesson that you play your best team, not your best 11 players. That sort of naivety would only see us fail in key moments in major tournaments, as we did with Southgate. Tuchel will at least know not to do silly things like that.
whilst i agree to a certain extent - when is the right time to take a risk and try something different? there are no friendlies now only the nations league?

In the summer everyone said we should of played something like that against the lesser nations.

I dont have a gripe with it, but now its come out Tuchel had signed his contract before the Greece game speaks volumes.

Southgate came as humanly possible to winning something (pens and last min) by not being a great tactician.

My main gripe is with the FA and a clear lack of ideas, all the money spent on St Georges Park and after southgate theyve still not got anything to show for it.

whilst i agree to a certain extent - when is the right time to take a risk and try something different? there are no friendlies now only the nations league?

In the summer everyone said we should of played something like that against the lesser nations.

I dont have a gripe with it, but now its come out Tuchel had signed his contract before the Greece game speaks volumes.

Southgate came as humanly possible to winning something (pens and last min) by not being a great tactician.

My main gripe is with the FA and a clear lack of ideas, all the money spent on St Georges Park and after southgate theyve still not got anything to show for it.
Whilst I agree with your sentiments I am not sure that it's fair to play the FA.

Managerial experience comes from club football and our foreign owners don't care about promoting English / British managers. Currently we have:

Dyche (England)
Cooper
Howe (England)
McKenna
Martin
O'Neil (England)

Since the PL was formed no English man has won the league, having 6 British managers could be considered a glut it's been so spare in the past.

Until this changes the FA is going to a very shallow pool. Eddie Howe ruled himself out otherwise I think the job was his, not that I rate the guy.

Sean Dyche looks like a thug so the FA will never give him the job.

There are a few others circling the drain Potter and Rodgers being the most prominent.

I don't see this lack of talent changing anytime soon.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments I am not sure that it's fair to play the FA.

Managerial experience comes from club football and our foreign owners don't care about promoting English / British managers. Currently we have:

Dyche (England)
Cooper
Howe (England)
McKenna
Martin
O'Neil (England)

Since the PL was formed no English man has won the league, having 6 British managers could be considered a glut it's been so spare in the past.

Until this changes the FA is going to a very shallow pool. Eddie Howe ruled himself out otherwise I think the job was his, not that I rate the guy.

Sean Dyche looks like a thug so the FA will never give him the job.

There are a few others circling the drain Potter and Rodgers being the most prominent.

I don't see this lack of talent changing anytime soon.
Oh i agree with the status of English Managers - its slim pickings - which is why I thought they would try to promote from within. Germans and Spanish, Italians and Dutch would never go foreign but they have all the good coaches

Oh i agree with the status of English Managers - its slim pickings - which is why I thought they would try to promote from within. Germans and Spanish, Italians and Dutch would never go foreign but they have all the good coaches
Apparently there are at least 200 Dutch coaches across the world with the highest coaching badges. What the FA could do is encourage more people to take the badges at grass roots level. The cost is about 5k so that is where the FA could help.

Apparently there are at least 200 Dutch coaches across the world with the highest coaching badges. What the FA could do is encourage more people to take the badges at grass roots level. The cost is about 5k so that is where the FA could help.
I saw a tweet this morning that for German Coaches its roughly £500 for a UEFA A Badge - in England its £3,000 for UEFA A (After spending 2-3k on B&C) and you have to be affiliated to a club to do it

Ludicrous.

cant say I'm that excited with Tuchel. although not sure they'll be any one I Would be excited about. Lets face it, all I want is someone that can Motivate the players and then to change the game when it's going wrong and we're all screaming at the Tv.

Tuchel will create waves during his 18 month term as England manager because, along with his tough coaching style, he is renowned for his fiery temperament. As I wrote earlier in this thread, he speaks good English and has a sense of humour, but my issue is - he's German. It's not just his nationality, any manager from another country would have the same effect on me.

I have an overriding belief that the manager of our National team should be English. It's the nature of international football, or any other sport come to that, the whole structure should be made up of people from the country they represent.

The issue, of course, is that I can't name any English manager who I reckon has the background, skills and experience required for the job. It is indeed a sad state of affairs.

A lot of negativity here. Personally I think it’s an excellent move. The guy is obviously a talented coach, takes no crap from his players and looks for a decent work ethic otherwise they will be benched.

Recent coaches have looked like they just want to be mates with the players and that approach only really works until you get under the cosh and then we fall short as has happened numerous times.

I genuinely believe we will win a tournament under Tuchel if the players buy into his style of play.

A lot of negativity here. Personally I think it’s an excellent move. The guy is obviously a talented coach, takes no crap from his players and looks for a decent work ethic otherwise they will be benched.

Recent coaches have looked like they just want to be mates with the players and that approach only really works until you get under the cosh and then we fall short as has happened numerous times.

I genuinely believe we will win a tournament under Tuchel if the players buy into his style of play.
You would have to think a decent coach could have meant winning against Italy at Wembley, although not sure anyone could have helped against Spain. So I tend to agree.

You would have to think a decent coach could have meant winning against Italy at Wembley, although not sure anyone could have helped against Spain. So I tend to agree.
I think in both cases you are absolutely right. Spain were quite simply a better side than us but Italy were there for the taking.

This would be more of an issue if we hadn't already had Eriksson and Capello, the England Ladies have a Dutch woman in Serena Weigman and the England cricket team has a New Zealander in charge after two Zimbabweans and an Australian, the England rugby team had an Australian head coach.
In other sports it's a pragmatic approach while football is a bit different in that foreign club owners are more likely to appoint foreign managers which limits the opportunities for English candidates.

Hope not. Not with his kraut accent. Would be ridiculous. He is only the coach which has no national requirement. He is German through and through, just here for the money. Professional contract.

go and watch the Queen Victoria series on Netflix. The whole of the Royal Court was full of krauts. Not really that ridiculous. The Hanovarians of Mad King George, something similar.

My only complaint against Tuchel is he is a very good manager. And will get the best out of the England squad. But then again, i am an irish Eagle. I would prefer Alan Pardew to manage England.

This would be more of an issue if we hadn't already had Eriksson and Capello, the England Ladies have a Dutch woman in Serena Weigman and the England cricket team has a New Zealander in charge after two Zimbabweans and an Australian, the England rugby team had an Australian head coach.
In other sports it's a pragmatic approach while football is a bit different in that foreign club owners are more likely to appoint foreign managers which limits the opportunities for English candidates.

England will be the only leading football nation to have foreign managers of both their men's and women's teams.

Back