• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The First Record You Bought - And Where

R&B from the Marquee, Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated. Bought this LP from Dobell's record shop in Charing Cross Road in 1964. I used to go to the Marquee club on a Thursday evening, when it was in Oxford Street. Blues Incorporated were a resident band. I also saw the Stones there before they hit the big time. Great days!!
Good choice. Alexis Korner had a great voice on the radio - some of his Capital shows are on YouTube.

I bought two 45s at the same time.

Don't like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
My Sharona - The knack (Not sure if it was the song or the sleeve that made me buy it)

First Album

Bat out of Hell - Meat loaf

I think from Bonapartes In Bromley market square?

First ever single was Dream by the Everley Bros, bought in Medhursts at Bromley, because that was the only store that had individual listening booths that 3/4 girls could cram in together - a LOT of Saturday mornings were spent there listening to the latest releases

First ever single was Dream by the Everley Bros, bought in Medhursts at Bromley, because that was the only store that had individual listening booths that 3/4 girls could cram in together - a LOT of Saturday mornings were spent there listening to the latest releases
An old haunt of mine...WH Smiths in Bromley also had listening booths back then

I bought two 45s at the same time.

Don't like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
My Sharona - The knack (Not sure if it was the song or the sleeve that made me buy it)

First Album

Bat out of Hell - Meat loaf

I think from Bonapartes In Bromley market square?
Bonapartes?? That rings a bell, I remember our price records in Bromley market square, was it called bonapartes before?

I've Been Crying by Denny Mitchell and the Soundsations in 1964. A local Bromley group. It may have been their only recording.

First album was Best of the Beach Boys in 1966.

My Mum bought me "I Love, You Love, Me Love" by G.Glitter & the Glitter Band ( I know, I know ) but it wasn't until the early 80's when I was a paperboy that I had enough money to buy my own records.
My Dad had Pink Floyd's Animals L.P but I wanted my own copy. So off to Beano's in Surrey Street, Croydon I went to get it. 2nd hand in good condition, it cost £2, I think. On the inside of the cover, in pencil, was written "D.Ralph".
The first pop record I bought was 'Do You Wanna Touch' by Glitter. Heaven knows what my household thought of that. I was only 8.
The second was Blockbuster by Sweet, and I think the third was Rubber Bullets by 10cc.

to my eternal shame it was Nice One Cyril by Cockerel Chorus bought from the local W H Smith - it got better after that but it couldn't really have got worse. I was only eight years old but it's no excuse.

First proper records were Parallel Lines by Blondie (a picture disc no less) and Armed Forces by Elvis Costello from Bonaparte records at East Croydon.

Start of a lifelong and very costly live of record collecting and for a while a job in said East Croydon record shop.

The first pop record I bought was 'Do You Wanna Touch' by Glitter. Heaven knows what my household thought of that. I was only 8.
The second was Blockbuster by Sweet, and I think the third was Rubber Bullets by 10cc.
That Glitter Band beat was immense. Two drummers!

Wig Wam Bam by The Sweet.

My dad went in the shop to buy it for me. They said to him that they had never heard of it and asked him to sing it !

It's a bit vague, but I think I remember waiting in the car outside the shop in The Parade, New Addington.

Wig Wam Bam by The Sweet.

My dad went in the shop to buy it for me. They said to him that they had never heard of it and asked him to sing it !

It's a bit vague, but I think I remember waiting in the car outside the shop in The Parade, New Addington.
My Father-in-Law went into a record shop for one of his kids and asked for
" Pick handle by that fella the Angel" and they worked out he meant Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel.

Bought "Have I the right " by the Honeycombs in 1964. Think is cost around 2 shillings in old money or 20p today. Don't remember the shop name but is was in Penge next to Woolworth's

Back Home , 1970 world cup squad from a little record shop in Norbury high street .

I didn't buy another till about 1976 when I had left education and started buying albums with what I had left of my wages after following the Palace . 😉 mostly British rock bands . Family chipped in with a few freebies ,my sister worked in a recording studio and a cousin was a session drummer who played on some quite well known albums .

Sold the lot a couple of years ago ,I just got lazy keeping them in good nick and the decks were taking up too much space . "Hey Siri play Quadrophina " was just too easy though I regret selling them now .

God Save the Queen by the Sex Pistols and In the City by the Jam. Both purchased at the same time and I believe 60p each from money I'd been given for my 15th Birthday. in May 1977 . Got them from Diamond Records in Catford and I still have both. Ollie's Dad,Ash.

Back