• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The First Record You Bought - And Where

Country
England
I think we've done this before, but a few newbies on here might want to have a bash.

My first purchase was Cathy's Clown 45rpm by the Everly Brothers on Warner Brothers with the brown sleeve. Bought it in a small record shop, complete with listening booths, on the parade at Wallington Green close to The Dukes Head pub.

The first LP I can remember buying, in the same place, was Another Side of Bob Dylan. I think I took it out of the paper bag for the walk home so people could see my prized purchase.

Both are still in my collection - along with an original Glad All Over.

First single was Let it Be from Treble Clef in Sydenham. It cost about 9/6 and I bought it with a mate the idea being that we would each have it for a week. Then he moved and took my record collection with him which must have put me off because the second one was a couple of years later -Terry Dactyl & The Dinosaurs Seaside Shuffle from Reed Records in Forest Hill.
First album was either Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits or Kris Kristofferson Me and Bobby McGee from a shop in the arcade near The Shakespeare in Victoria.

The first Vinyl I bought was Palace 1990 FC cup squad's version of Glad all Over from either Our Price or Woolworths in Bexleyheath.

The first cd album I bought was Queen's Greatest Hits II in 1992 from WHSmith in B'heath.

I've got a massive cd collection but in 2022 I decided to buy a turntable so I could collect vinyl.
The first vinyl album I bought was from Reckless Records in Berwick Street, Soho and was the fantastic Forever Changes by the band Love!!

First single was either; Do the Hucklebuck by Coast to Coast or Cars by Gary Numan.

First album was definitely ‘Too-Rye-Ay’ by Dexys Midnight Runners.

All from Woolworths.

My Mum bought me "I Love, You Love, Me Love" by G.Glitter & the Glitter Band ( I know, I know ) but it wasn't until the early 80's when I was a paperboy that I had enough money to buy my own records.
My Dad had Pink Floyd's Animals L.P but I wanted my own copy. So off to Beano's in Surrey Street, Croydon I went to get it. 2nd hand in good condition, it cost £2, I think. On the inside of the cover, in pencil, was written "D.Ralph".

Pass the Dutchie by Musical Youth on vinyl, though technically my parents bought it for me. I think it would have been in Lewisham.

The first Vinyl I bought was Palace 1990 FC cup squad's version of Glad all Over from either Our Price or Woolworths in Bexleyheath.

The first cd album I bought was Queen's Greatest Hits II in 1992 from WHSmith in B'heath.

I've got a massive cd collection but in 2022 I decided to buy a turntable so I could collect vinyl.
The first vinyl album I bought was from Reckless Records in Berwick Street, Soho and was the fantastic Forever Changes by the band Love!!
I can’t make my mind up whether that’s really great or really uncool 🤣🤣

id like to teach the world to sing - new seekers / see my baby jive-wizzard.
LP -T Rex (compilation)

Buying a record, an LP in particular, was a big decision as youd not be doing this on a regular basis, as a teenager.
A calamity if you bought an LP off the strength of 1 track & the rest was pants.
I do miss purchasing an LP and getting the gifts with it, when it was a new release (photos, info etc)

First Album I bought was 'Out Of The Blue' by ELO....probably because it included a cardboard kit / model of the ELO spaceship. Purchased in Debenhams Arcade (previously Kennards) in Croydon.

R&B from the Marquee, Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated. Bought this LP from Dobell's record shop in Charing Cross Road in 1964. I used to go to the Marquee club on a Thursday evening, when it was in Oxford Street. Blues Incorporated were a resident band. I also saw the Stones there before they hit the big time. Great days!!

Back