• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The end of transfers!!

eritheagle

Country
England
The European court has ruled that players can terminate their contracts and move to another club without compensation.

This could mean the end of big transfer fees and long contracts.

As an example, if Real want Haaland and he's on £400k a week at citeh and but he's being offered £600k a week to move then theoretically he can tear up his contract and move without Man City getting a single penny!

This has come about cos Diarra (former Chelsea and R Madrid) couldn't move to a Belgian team in 2014 as he was under contract at another club.

The European court has ruled that players can terminate their contracts and move to another club without compensation.

As an example, if Real want Haaland and he's on £400k a week at citeh and but he's being offered £600k a week to move then theoretically he can tear up his contract and move without Man City getting a single penny!

This has come about cos Diarra (former Chelsea and R Madrid) couldn't move to a Belgian team in 2014 as he was under contract at another club.
Belgium again? First Bosman now this. It will make it harder for clubs at our level to build anything or plan for the future but presumably the clubs have the same right to boot out an underperforming player or manager rather than being stuck with them or having to pay any compo. And at least clubs won't have to increase wages two years from the theoretical end of a contract.

I'm not surprised,

I haven't read the judgment yet but my guess is that the clubs will have to redraw contracts to include a release clause which most of us will have in our contracts so both parties can give notice e.g. 3 months.

Transfer window is up next I have always argued that it is a restraint on trade, if willing player and clubs want him to move why can it only happen at a certain time of the year.

I'm not surprised,

I haven't read the judgment yet but my guess is that the clubs will have to redraw contracts to include a release clause which most of us will have in our contracts so both parties can give notice e.g. 3 months.

Transfer window is up next I have always argued that it is a restraint on trade, if willing player and clubs want him to move why can it only happen at a certain time of the year.
Took this from the bbc, only written piece i could see atm . . . Lassana Diarra: Fifa transfer rules break EU law - top court rules

Yup so my take on this ruling is that Diarra was stuck between 2 clubs and FIFA and that is what the court has ruled was wrong.

I think in future player contacts will include a transfer release clause negotiated by both parties which lays down how a player can leave the club or vice versa.
Seems feasible, might even have a knock on effect to PSR, at least with release clauses, everyone will know what a player will cost &/or what a club will have to pay.

If a player gets crocked and medically it’s a year with a break or tear what happens then I wonder. This will need a bit of small print sorting out as that could be careers finished.

If a player gets crocked and medically it’s a year with a break or tear what happens then I wonder. This will need a bit of small print sorting out as that could be careers finished.
For sure you cant help but think that the authorities / interested parties need to be some "meat on the bones" for where this may be heading.

I don’t understand how this will work.

Will the UK be subject to this as that court's rulings still bind us, or under our EUFA membership?
FIFA will issue fresh instructions which will apply to all members.

I think they will say that all contracts must have a release clause in them. What that clause is will probably be up for individual negotiation. The issue with Diarra was he didn't have that and retrospectively FIFA said he would have to pay millions of Euros in compensation, in other words they fixed the price after the sale.

I don't think this is the end of transfer fees. It also means that if a player can release himself from a contract then so can the club, sauce for the goose....

FIFA will issue fresh instructions which will apply to all members.

I think they will say that all contracts must have a release clause in them. What that clause is will probably be up for individual negotiation. The issue with Diarra was he didn't have that and retrospectively FIFA said he would have to pay millions of Euros in compensation, in other words they fixed the price after the sale.

I don't think this is the end of transfer fees. It also means that if a player can release himself from a contract then so can the club, sauce for the goose....

I heard yesterday that Lokomotiv Moscow, Diarra's club, wanted to discuss new terms with Diarra (lower pay) cos he wasn't training properly, turning up late and just being an all round bad apple.

He wasn't interested in this so he said he'd terminate his contract and so he left but Moscow said he owed £10m which was a percentage of his worth.

Charloi in Belgiun league wanted to sign him so they asked FIFA if they could sign him for nothing but were told that the £10m fee still stood and both them and Diarra were responsible for paying it.

The club weren't then interested in signing him anymore and so he was in limbo for a year until he signed for Marseille where he continued being a bit of bad apple.

It is because of not being able to leave (where in any other job he'd be sacked!) and do what he wanted with no consequence that he decided to bring his case to court.

Just trying to think about this a bit more. When you consider this, would release clauses in contracts essentially become transfer fees? Or, I guess it could exclude third parties? Sounds reasonable, then you consider the player releases himself and then goes to Real for 350k a week, then imagine all the legal drama. Just seems a nightmare.
Probably push up wages whilst lowering transfer fees; with current regulations that seems to me that it would help bigger clubs and hinder everyone else.
Just the sort of thing the big clubs would like.

We'll have to sustainable and only have a certain wage bill, but teams with huge attendances, merchandise and sponsorship, fake or otherwise, will be able to maintain wage bills tens of times more than ours.

Just trying to think about this a bit more. When you consider this, would release clauses in contracts essentially become transfer fees? Or, I guess it could exclude third parties? Sounds reasonable, then you consider the player releases himself and then goes to Real for 350k a week, then imagine all the legal drama. Just seems a nightmare.
Probably push up wages whilst lowering transfer fees; with current regulations that seems to me that it would help bigger clubs and hinder everyone else.
Just the sort of thing the big clubs would like.

We'll have to sustainable and only have a certain wage bill, but teams with huge attendances, merchandise and sponsorship, fake or otherwise, will be able to maintain wage bills tens of times more than ours.
I think you may underestimate our wage bills and the ratio compared to the top teams in the country.

Back