• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Sam Johnstone or Dean Henderson?

Who should be the Palace No.1?

• Johnstone

Votes: 55 83.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 11 16.7%

• Total voters
I voted Johnstone - I’ve always been fearful of Henderson’s distribution but it looks like Glasner has made his decision and Johnstone will be out before the transfer window shuts.

Can we rely on Remi Matthews being backup though? Whitworth and Goodman out on loan - surely we’d need to bring another one in?

I've cast the first vote for Dean, so he's up and running. I think he's a better (and more consistent) shot stopper than Sam and that is key IMO. At 4 years younger he has more time to develop his skills. I think pre-season showed that he's getting better at commanding the box. Having said all that, Sam is a great keeper and it would be great if he stayed but as Arsenal have discovered you can't realistically keep two international keepers happy. I hope Sam gets the PL club that he wants and will do well for them (but not quite so well against us, of course).

PS. The finances are also relevant with Dean costing up to £20m and with Sam a freebie we can make some money on Johnstone's sale. We will, though, need to spend some of it on a new no. 2 keeper.

Last edited:
Johnstone is the better keeper for me, simply because Henderson's skeleton looks like it'll collapse in on itself every time a cross comes in on top of him.

However, the club have clearly made their decision - as we all suspected they had by signing Henderson into this untenable situation - and on the basis that SJ needs to move on, we need to find a number 2 fast.

This is a new season, and it's clear Henderson is Glasner's choice. My decision is based on age, past experience and performances for us and other clubs, future resale value and also like VG, Sam appears to have thrown his toys out the pram, so we move on.

Would like another keeper in the mix if he goes.

Defo Sam for me, but Henderson has grown on me after a shakey spell last season, all be it not totally down to him because we were particularly poor as a team at the time

The question was, who should be no 1., not who is the best goalkeeper.

Based on who I think is naturally a better keeper, particularly in commanding his area (where I think Henderson is a bit shaky), then I would say Johnstone.

However based on the question asked, I've voted for Henderson. I don't think there is much between them, Henderson's form improved towards the end of the season along with the whole team's improved performances. But I am a bit disappointed by Johnstone's attitude. Its a squad game these days and clubs need two good players for each position. For GK it helps having a clear no1. and Glasner has picked Henderson. So Johnstone either lives with it as a good professional and works hard in training, or throws his toys out and pushes for a transfer. In this case, the vote has to go to Henderson.

It’s basic Maths.

When Johnstone got injured at Christmas, Deano let in 20 goals in 5 matches.

20 or twenty, however you spell it, is a horrific amount to let through in such a short window.

If OG decides to go with Henderson, then obviously I will get behind him. He must be seeing something on the training ground that we didn’t see on the pitch.

It’s basic Maths.

20 or twenty, however you spell it, is a horrific amount to let through in such a short window.

If OG decides to go with Henderson, then obviously I will get behind him. He must be seeing something on the training ground that we didn’t see on the pitch.
There was no run of 5 matches in which 20 goals were conceded last seasons. We conceded 20 in the 8 leagues games starting with Citeh at the Etihad and ending with the Chelsea home game. BTW, Henderson was excellent in that Citeh game despite conceding 2 goals, although he was shaky in the following two matches. Furthermore that run of 8 games was when the wheels were falling off with Hodgson having lost the plot and the team somewhat decimated by injuries.

There was no run of 5 matches in which 20 goals were conceded last seasons. We conceded 20 in the 8 leagues games starting with Citeh at the Etihad and ending with the Chelsea home game. BTW, Henderson was excellent in that Citeh game despite conceding 2 goals, although he was shaky in the following two matches. Furthermore that run of 8 games was when the wheels were falling off with Hodgson having lost the plot and the team somewhat decimated by injuries.
My apologies. It was 15 goals.

Though that is just like me to exaggerate, I still feel 15 goals is a huge amount to ship, while just covering another persons injury.

My apologies. It was 15 goals.

Though that is just like me to exaggerate, I still feel 15 goals is a huge amount to ship, while just covering another persons injury.
I’m in the sam camp, but the whole team was struggling at the time you’re talking about, our whole defence was pretty poor and so it must’ve been hard for Henderson, I know he could’ve done better, but sometimes a keeper is as good as the team in front of him

Last edited:
I think that Sam is the better keeper but Dean is a very good stopper while Sam commands the box. We are lucky to have both. Not quite the same situation but it reminds me of the Clemence and Shilton situation (I preferred Clemence)

I preferred Henderson on his arrival and expected him to fully claim the No1 spot.

Long story short - I think Sam is more reliable and offers confidence to the defenders because of this.

Dean has been given the jersey due to the monies spent and Sam will depart due to finances and him needing game time to fulfil his potential.

It’s basic Maths.

no he didnt !!

Sam Johnstone for me , Henderson looks frightened of the ball sometimes and doesn't instil confidence in those around him .

Back