Rating the window so far

In Khalaili we seem to have signed a very exciting talent, who I think is going take the PL by storm in the way Munoz did. McNeil finally brings a bit of balance on the left, although if I'm honest I'm not expecting anything too much from him (I hope I'm wrong and we see Burnley-era McNeil). Tomiyashu is known quality and he's versatile. Mingueza is highly rated in Spain and only narrowly missed out on a place in the Spain squad, so he seems like another great bit of business. Gozo is a wildcard, but he looks like he might be able to have an impact from the bench (he looks full of confidence for a young lad). Guessand is a bit of a unit and in more physical games I think he'll be a real asset.

As it stands I'd give it a solid 7/10, but we do need to secure that Disai deal (or similar alternative). A box-to-box midfielder would also be welcome, but only if they are going to challenge for the first XI (some of the rumours do not sound like upgrades on Hughes or Lerma).
 
In Khalaili we seem to have signed a very exciting talent, who I think is going take the PL by storm in the way Munoz did. McNeil finally brings a bit of balance on the left, although if I'm honest I'm not expecting anything too much from him (I hope I'm wrong and we see Burnley-era McNeil). Tomiyashu is known quality and he's versatile. Mingueza is highly rated in Spain and only narrowly missed out on a place in the Spain squad, so he seems like another great bit of business. Gozo is a wildcard, but he looks like he might be able to have an impact from the bench (he looks full of confidence for a young lad). Guessand is a bit of a unit and in more physical games I think he'll be a real asset.

As it stands I'd give it a solid 7/10, but we do need to secure that Disai deal (or similar alternative). A box-to-box midfielder would also be welcome, but only if they are going to challenge for the first XI (some of the rumours do not sound like upgrades on Hughes or Lerma).
And every supporters’ love child, AW has gotta start scoring ! His numbers are worse than poor.
 
We can summarise everyone’s thoughts on the previous windows as follows:

Parish is letting the club down by not showing more ambition and spending while simultaneously being the best chairman ever due to his tight financial control

We need to plan better to replace key players before they go but also shouldn’t sign anyone until players have left

We need to stop faffing about over paying an extra £5m to get deals done but every signing we have over paid for by about £5m.

We shouldn’t leave our business until the last minute but should also be cannier in doing late deals to get value

Why can’t we replicate the model of Brighton / Brentford / Fulham or any other club who hasn’t won a trophy while we’ve won three in recent times

Does that cover it?
Mate agree on the faffing around - Parish is a nightmare with his transfer dealings - we’ve lost out on so many transfers with him p@ssing around over a few £M here and there.

That said think he’s done some quality business with some of the free transfers - think both Tomiyaso and Minguesa are quality additions and will prove their worth.

Khalaili - looks a great prospect, same with Gozo.

McNeil looks better than Johnson. And don’t agree with others think Guessand was good for us last season, and happy we’ve signed him again.

Meantime we’ve kept Wharton and Mateta and resigned Kamada with Doucoure coming back to fitness - so like a new player on from last season.

Now Parish stop faffing around and get Danois and Le Guen over the line.

Then we’d have have had a very good window - like others have said will take time to settle in - but in the long run do this and we’ll be very competitive this season in the Prem and Europe.

All about quality in depth.

COYP..!
 
We can summarise everyone’s thoughts on the previous windows as follows:

Parish is letting the club down by not showing more ambition and spending while simultaneously being the best chairman ever due to his tight financial control

We need to plan better to replace key players before they go but also shouldn’t sign anyone until players have left

We need to stop faffing about over paying an extra £5m to get deals done but every signing we have over paid for by about £5m.

We shouldn’t leave our business until the last minute but should also be cannier in doing late deals to get value

Why can’t we replicate the model of Brighton / Brentford / Fulham or any other club who hasn’t won a trophy while we’ve won three in recent times

Does that cover it?
Got it in one!
 
A good summary of the paradoxes surrounding the transfer market and the view of fans in general and which is not exclusive to Palace.
One of the bizarre features is the market place behaviour e g circa £50 million is now the benchmark for very good quality international centre backs - Konsa being the latest example following on from Van Hecke and Lacroix.
Who sets this, particularly when you see that Maguire was sold for £80 million some years ago.
Rampant Inflation seems to have escaped the world of centre backs.
Agree that it's all a complete madness and no real sense prevails in this market that has long since taken exponential growth to it's malignant extreme.

Not sure these deals represent a complete lack of inflation though. Comparatively less than other positions, yeah, I suppose so. I do remember not that long ago a very good centre-back would be no more than £10 million, and an average one was somewhere between 1m and 5m.
 
7.5 out of 10.

Lots of great depth brought in...but we need impact in the first team. We need a commanding CB with 100 PL appearances to anchor our defence, plus a solid box-to-box CM to partner Wharton, that makes us more solid in the midfield. Those are currently glaring omissions. Find those players and it becomes a 9.
 
7/10 for me.

Come close of play on September 1st., that number could go up or down.

I think we are seeing an attempt to clear the decks of Academy players that aren't going to make it at Palace and can generate fees - good. Also the likes of Esse and Rak-Sakyi have been earmarked for departure. Good again.

Losing Lacroix came a bit out of the blue. But once again we agreed to the move before we had a replacement in the bag. Not good.

Mateta and Munoz could both still leave. It looks like we have a succession plan for Dani and I have to assume Larsen is JP's ' replacement '. Got to hope that Sarr stays.

Johnson-McNeil swap....well, Johnson contributed nothing and there was no indication of that changing. McNeil is no world beater but looks more motivated and offers experience.

I wouldn't have re-signed Guessand - I'm clearly missing something in my evaluation of him. I think he lacks pace, and we aren't blessed with much of that as a team.

While it looks like Disasi resolves the CB issue, I still think we need a strong midfield presence alongside Adam Wharton. And Kamada doesn't fit that bill. You look at Sangare at Brentford...that's the type of player I'd like to see at Palace.
 

Holmesdale Online Shop

Back
Top