• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Mystery Signing - new left-back?

When you look into Mitchell's stats, he's doing pretty well. Plus he obviously has great fitness, recovery speed and pace. Where he's lacking is going forward as he offers little. However, it's clear he's been working on that.
Nevertheless, we've been lucky he's rarely injured. This is reminding me of that season our idiot left back got in a car crash and we had precisely no one. Nightmarish.
You have to have cover or competition. Mitchell pretty much knows he has to play 90 minutes every game. Even he might want a bit of a rest sometimes. I noticed he took a bit of a knock against Norwich. Heart stopping moments. I think we all suspect that Schlupp can't defend at all. Then you're down to Richards, Ward, Clyne, Guehi?!
Yes, I’ve seen this highlighted a few times in the last few months.

Whilst I won’t dispute the statistics I would just add that I go to nearly all the games, home & away and pay particular attention to Mitchell. The number of goals we concede from his position is crazy, last season in particular! Whether this be from his individual mistakes, not marking his man or simply not being where he should be and leaving us totally exposed down the left hand side. Added to the fact that he gives us so little going forward, I just don’t rate him.

At the very least we need strong competition for the left back / wing back position in the hope that it improves his performances.

Do we though, in Glasners formation defending comes second to playing high up the pitch and providing the Width, IMO Schlupp is better at that part than Mitchell. There's always Brandon Williams 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱
Yes a left back is now less of an issue position seeing as we play with wing backs. So a few players can drop into that position if Mitchell gets injured or suspended. We still need cover there but easier to cope with than when play four at the back.

Yes a left back is now less of an issue position seeing as we play with wing backs. So a few players can drop into that position if Mitchell gets injured or suspended. We still need cover there but easier to cope with than when play four at the back.
Yep, that was my thinking as well.

I would argue that the way Glasner sets up, the wingbacks are the two most important positions on the pitch, they provide the width however they are also expected to both join in the attack and defend. Munoz has been a great signing, Mitchell is a poorer version of him, but adequate. I’ve been hoping for an upgrade there for some time.

We should go for Kieran Tierney in January who apparently is available on the cheap. Few injury issues but think he's a very good player and has a career record of an assist every 468 minutes, whereas Mitchell is one every 1573 minutes.

Back