• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Mystery Signing - new left-back?

A bit of fun to round out the window with Glasner stating we are working on signing a left-back. Who is it? I haven't seen any rumours.

I'm going to start the ball rolling by saying Ben Chilwell.
I could see that and think it would be great!

(FWIW, I put that in the transfer thread a while ago - I firmly believe that Dougie read that thread and decided I had a great idea) 😏

I can't see it being Chilwell.
I think he's the best attacking left back in the country along with Robertson of Liverpool
He's also tailor made for Glasner's formation.
Two problems
- he's frequently injured and can't put a run of games together
- if fit and firing he would surely replace Mitchell whereas I believe we're looking at somebody to deputise for him rather than replace him.

I can't see it being Chilwell.
I think he's the best attacking left back in the country along with Robertson of Liverpool
He's also tailor made for Glasner's formation.
Two problems
- he's frequently injured and can't put a run of games together
- if fit and firing he would surely replace Mitchell whereas I believe we're looking at somebody to deputise for him rather than replace him.
Three problems if he's really on £200 k a week.

It remains a mystery as to how we haven't noticed we need one for the last few years.
Do we though, in Glasners formation defending comes second to playing high up the pitch and providing the Width, IMO Schlupp is better at that part than Mitchell. There's always Brandon Williams 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱

Do we though, in Glasners formation defending comes second to playing high up the pitch and providing the Width, IMO Schlupp is better at that part than Mitchell. There's always Brandon Williams 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱
I've posted about using Schlupp myself so I see your point entirely. However, I think I'm right in saying we've never used Schlupp as a wing back - not that I can remember anyway. Ollie hasn't has he?
I guess we'll see. As for Brandon Williams - was he Man U academy. Where is he now? I'm guessing Forest or somewhere. In Willo fashion I think he's a right footed player who plays on the left.

I've posted about using Schlupp myself so I see your point entirely. However, I think I'm right in saying we've never used Schlupp as a wing back - not that I can remember anyway. Ollie hasn't has he?
I guess we'll see. As for Brandon Williams - was he Man U academy. Where is he now? I'm guessing Forest or somewhere. In Willo fashion I think he's a right footed player who plays on the left.

Allardyce used Schlupp as a left wing back when he first signed him. I remember him playing there against Everton at home. It only lasted a couple of games before we either went to four at the back or Van Aanholt was signed and took his place.

Yes! Mitchell is the weak link in our back line, is not a natural wing back (his forwarding play is severely lacking) and the transformation a player like Munoz has provided on the right side has been so evident.

Yes! Mitchell is the weak link in our back line, is not a natural wing back (his forwarding play is severely lacking) and the transformation a player like Munoz has provided on the right side has been so evident.
When you look into Mitchell's stats, he's doing pretty well. Plus he obviously has great fitness, recovery speed and pace. Where he's lacking is going forward as he offers little. However, it's clear he's been working on that.
Nevertheless, we've been lucky he's rarely injured. This is reminding me of that season our idiot left back got in a car crash and we had precisely no one. Nightmarish.
You have to have cover or competition. Mitchell pretty much knows he has to play 90 minutes every game. Even he might want a bit of a rest sometimes. I noticed he took a bit of a knock against Norwich. Heart stopping moments. I think we all suspect that Schlupp can't defend at all. Then you're down to Richards, Ward, Clyne, Guehi?!

I believe Brandon Williams is a former Manchester United left-back who came through the academy. He made his debut in the 2019-20 season and has impressed supporters with his first-team performances. He has played for Norwich City and Ipswich Town on loan I recent seasons. He is from Crumpsall in North Manchester.

Whilst mainly a left back he has also played at right fullback. He was released by Man United this summer when his contract expired on June 30th. He is currently without a club.

He is awaiting trial at Chester Crown Court for Dangerous Driving and Driving without Insurance. He is set to appear on 17th March 2025 for a trial listed for 3 days.

My memory is not what it used to be so all of the above would be worth checking on the internet (I have definitely not just done this). The fact that my ‘knowledge’ is 100% accurate is purely coincidence, just like every other time 😀

Back