• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

My error of judgement

premier fan

Country
England
I thought letting the 28year old Anderson be sold for 30m and not meeting his increase in salary request was a shrewd move - how wrong I was.

It’s evident in my opinion that we’ve made a mistake letting him go - reminds me of Glen Murray going too soon.

I agree, although in my case I never wanted him to leave in the first place.

I never saw the reason for condemnation of him in the first place.
It seemed to be largely misplaced,

- 'he's a greedy so and so'
(name me a player who isn't)

- 'he's downed tools'
( he was our joint player of the season last year and our defensive leader)

- ' he's not very good in the air'
(he was still our best defensive header of the ball)

- 'he's too slow'
(perhaps some validity, but his reading of the game largely compensated, and we've looked far more vulnerable to counter attacks in his absence)

- 'it made financial sense'
(time will tell, but at the moment the side looks weaker).

Look at what Anderson gave us.
A proven and consistent defensive partnership with Guehi which many saw as the best outside the top 6.
He's one of the best distributors of the ball from defence in the Premier League.
His absence has seen a detrimental shift of position for Guehi and a lessening of our capacity to build moves from the back.

Of course it's possible it will work out and our new defenders make us forget Anderson.
Hopefully this will be the case, but it doesn't mean that Anderson didn't make a very good contribution to the club.

I wasn’t too bothered either, great footballer, but for the basics of being a central defender as in getting your head on the ball and marking in the penalty area he wasn’t overly great for me. But now I’m thinking we should’ve cashed in on Guehi and given Andersen his pay rise, because we haven’t looked too great at the back and Guehi’s not exactly Bobby Moore himself at times

I wasn’t too bothered either, great footballer, but for the basics of being a central defender as in getting your head on the ball and marking in the penalty area he wasn’t overly great for me. But now I’m thinking we should’ve cashed in on Guehi and given Andersen his pay rise, because we haven’t looked too great at the back and Guehi’s not exactly Bobby Moore himself at times
Bobby Moore was notoriously SLOW.

It was always going to take time to settle in a new back four or five. The Anderson/Guehi partnership worked but lest be honest, Guehi hasn’t been great this season so we can’t assume we’d have been better with Anderson in a three. Glasner has been really unlucky with the injuries in defence and midfield while trying to settle new players in. He will come good in the end.

It will be a while before we truly know whether selling Andersen was good business or not.

At the moment I think we are missing his leadership and distribution - and of course the partnership he had with Guehi.

His early form with an improving Fulham team doesn't make it any easier to understand.

So we have to hope that Guehi settles down into the form he was showing prior to his injury last season and that Lacroix proves to be a capable replacement and hopefully, with his pace, an improvement.

Time will tell.

It will be a while before we truly know whether selling Andersen was good business or not.

At the moment I think we are missing his leadership and distribution - and of course the partnership he had with Guehi.

His early form with an improving Fulham team doesn't make it any easier to understand.

So we have to hope that Guehi settles down into the form he was showing prior to his injury last season and that Lacroix proves to be a capable replacement and hopefully, with his pace, an improvement.

Time will tell.

Apart from letting jota nip in front of him, I thought Chalobah looked okay last week considering he’s been out injured

He's an excellent defender, people can pick on imperfections if they wish, we miss his passing into attack, but most of all we miss his leadership. I thought financially it made sense to cash in but he's only 28 and we would have got another 3 or 4 peak seasons from him. Hindsight's a wonderful thing though - I think we'll get the balance right at the back with two from LeCroix, Chalobah or Lerma to play alongside Guehi - our problems are more in attack and with injuries to Wharton and Doucoure, not having Franca or Rak Saki as an option is also a problem while Sarr and Kamada have still failed to settle.

Just shows pace isn’t everything. No good having pace at the back if you don’t read the game, see where the dangers coming from and you can’t tackle
Exactly. Bobby Moore invariably stepped in and took the ball before it even got to the striker and if it did he tackled them cleanly.
Mickey van der Ven is apparently the quickest player in the world - would anyone take him over Bobby Moore?

Exactly. Bobby Moore invariably stepped in and took the ball before it even got to the striker and if it did he tackled them cleanly.
Mickey van der Ven is apparently the quickest player in the world - would anyone take him over Bobby Moore?
Probably every team in the world except the sunday hangover team perhaps.
Trying to compare modern football with football 60 years ago, don't even know where to start. Let's just say it's alot faster nowdays and leave it at that.

Probably every team in the world except the sunday hangover team perhaps.
Trying to compare modern football with football 60 years ago, don't even know where to start. Let's just say it's alot faster nowdays and leave it at that.
Well, yes, but that's the point. It doesn't matter if players are doing at 100 mph if a defender anticipates where the ball is going to be played and intercepts it. Of course the game is a lot quicker than it was but there were some quick players in his day too and not many got the better of him.

I agree with others that the biggest miss is his leadership. Defensively we've been ok and I doubt we'd have conceded fewer goals than we have. Offensively we've struggled. I'm not sure JA would have improved that. Lacroix, for me, will end up proving to be a better defender than Andersen, but so far he seems less vocal. If Andersen wanted 150k per week for 4-5 years then Palace were right to sell him if he would have been unhappy to stay on a lower contract as that would have wrecked the club's pay structure and policy on deals for players over 30. I liked Andersen but our struggles are because we haven't successfully replaced Olise.

I always have Andy Thorn in my best ever palace eleven, same as Moore, he wasn’t the quickest, but he never actually got done for pace because he never put himself in that position with his reading of the game

Back