• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Impressed with new signings?

andyeagles

Country
England
has any one actually been impressed with any of our new signings?

today i thought chadi rihad got mugged off for the 2nd goal and done some wayward passing! kamada yet again looked trash! and it wasn't until the person in front of me told me that sarr was on the pitch otherwise id of never had known!!

i dont really know how to think right now as the talks of Europe before the season started seems a million miles away........ is guehi staying? after this start i would want to steer way away from palace....... is eze staying?????? as it stands it seems like we are all set for yet another carbon copy season of relegation threatened palace followed by a late push of survival................ and there we were thinking this COULD be our year.........

i dont want to push the panic button but chelsea is not looking great! and right now the Leicester game could be an earlyy contender for a relegation 6 pointer!!!

someone bloody cheer me up pleaseeee

today i thought chadi rihad got mugged off for the 2nd goal and done some wayward passing! kamada yet again looked trash! and it wasn't until the person in front of me told me that sarr was on the pitch otherwise id of never had known!!

i dont really know how to think right now as the talks of Europe before the season started seems a million miles away........ is guehi staying? after this start i would want to steer way away from palace....... is eze staying?????? as it stands it seems like we are all set for yet another carbon copy season of relegation threatened palace followed by a late push of survival................ and there we were thinking this COULD be our year.........

i dont want to push the panic button but chelsea is not looking great! and right now the Leicester game could be an earlyy contender for a relegation 6 pointer!!!

Everton have lost two with a minus 7 GD

I’ve NEVER considered we would be challenging for Europe this season. Anything above 12th would be an excellent finish. We should’ve beaten Brentford, we were the better side away from home and were robbed by an absolutely shocking refereeing decision. Today we were poor and need to be more clinical in the final third. We will probably finish 14th. Two competitive games is not enough to form a meaningful opinion of how our 3 new signings will perform for us.

Everton have lost two with a minus 7 GD
Selling Anderson was clearly a ridiculous decision and the likely sale of Guehi will leave us woefully exposed defensively.
Depends who we can bring in during the last few remaining days before the window shuts,although Parish will have more than adequate funding to complete the new stadium while we enjoy Championship football next season,if further poor decisions are made.

Riad - Thoight he looked unprepared for PL today. I was surprised that he looked a physically immature on top of looking a bit too slow with the ball at times.

Kamada - Not quite sure what purpose he serves.

Sarr - Not seen enough of him but I thought he was more a winger for our 4-3-3. Not sure he’s one for a no.10 role. Not sure at all.

Riad - Thoight he looked unprepared for PL today. I was surprised that he looked a physically immature on top of looking a bit too slow with the ball at times.

Kamada - Not quite sure what purpose he serves.

Sarr - Not seen enough of him but I thought he was more a winger for our 4-3-3. Not sure he’s one for a no.10 role. Not sure at all.
Bearing in mind, Rid was probably not aware he was playing until Wed/Thurs, I thought he grew into the game. Looks comfortable going forward, as PL debuts go thought he was ok.
I was surprised when Lerma went off, thought Doucoure was the obvious replacement, think Kamala is better further forward.
The biggest problem today was missing to very good opportunities

Of course it’s unfair to make a proper assessment based on a few games, but my early assessment would be as follows,

Riad - the pace and physicality of the game seemed to surprise him. This is not unusual for overseas players new to the league. He won a few good headers and looks to have a decent left foot.I think it will take him time to adjust.

Kamada - he seems to have a good engine and likes to get on the ball to try and make things happen. Where does he fit in the 343 system though? I’m not sure he’s either a player for the right of the front 3 or for the 2 man central midfield.

Sarr - I thought that was a promising cameo yesterday. He laid on a good chance for Mateta and hit the post. He has the pace to stretch teams and will be able to get on the end of balla played down the line. I could see him starting v Norwich.

I think Riad after another few games will look top class
Kamada, i have the horrible feeling it is Meyer all over again
Sarr, is a decent player, but he is right footed, more cover for Eze IMO.
I think we should go for Madueke from Chelsea, or Antony from Man Utd, both left footed, right wingers and neither first choices at their clubs

Agreed ….the new signings are not looking very impressive at present. Worrying as Glasner is building a team with these type of players.

Selling Anderson was clearly a ridiculous decision and the likely sale of Guehi will leave us woefully exposed defensively.
Depends who we can bring in during the last few remaining days before the window shuts,although Parish will have more than adequate funding to complete the new stadium while we enjoy Championship football next season,if further poor decisions are made.
To you maybe but not to me and, I suggest, not to many other fans who think it's a good bit of business given Andersen's age, questionable recent form and the fee received. As, for Guehi, the new club captain would seem to be staying rather than going but we will know for certain come Saturday.

Of course it’s unfair to make a proper assessment based on a few games, but my early assessment would be as follows,

Riad - the pace and physicality of the game seemed to surprise him. This is not unusual for overseas players new to the league. He won a few good headers and looks to have a decent left foot.I think it will take him time to adjust.

Kamada - he seems to have a good engine and likes to get on the ball to try and make things happen. Where does he fit in the 343 system though? I’m not sure he’s either a player for the right of the front 3 or for the 2 man central midfield.

Sarr - I thought that was a promising cameo yesterday. He laid on a good chance for Mateta and hit the post. He has the pace to stretch teams and will be able to get on the end of balla played down the line. I could see him starting v Norwich.
A good assessment IMO, Patrick. I rate Riad and I think he'll be fine. Sarr's pace will be a valuable asset once he's settled fully into the squad. Like you, I'm a little concerned about Kamada and where he plays. We need another attacker for the no 10 role IMO.

We definitely need a few more signings, but we need to give the current ones a little time to bed in.

Riad looked good and I agree with comments about him growing into the game.

Kamada had something about him but needs to get up to speed with the PL.

Sarr showed glimpses of what he can do I thought. Lots of pace and a few decent balls into the box.

What we were missing yesterday was Olise (obviously). Anderson will be missed, but £30m for a 29yo with 2 years left on his contract is arguably good business. The loss yesterday was not due to selling Anderson, or Ayew for that mind. We just weren’t clinical enough. I thought we looked brilliant during spells and West Ham didn’t know how to cope and rode their luck.

We definitely need a few more signings, but we need to give the current ones a little time to bed in.

Sarr showed glimpses of what he can do I thought. Lots of pace and a few decent balls into the box.

What we were missing yesterday was Olise (obviously). Anderson will be missed, but £30m for a 29yo with 2 years left on his contract is arguably good business. The loss yesterday was not due to selling Anderson, or Ayew for that mind. We just weren’t clinical enough. I thought we looked brilliant during spells and West Ham didn’t know how to cope and rode their luck.
West Ham looked very comfortable at the back Mateta never got a look in and Edouard couldnt hit a barn door.

One of the problems with selling several established players is that replacements don't have the same camaraderie or understanding. That takes time.
In a period of instability, you can lose a lot of points. We have played two average teams and lost. That is not good in terms of the season as a whole. We have to get points against these sorts of teams.

This club better get its act together in the next week, or we will be spending the season down the bottom.

One of the reasons we were flying at the end of last year was that both Eze and Olise were fit and in the same side. This gave us two creative outlets; forcing the opposition to cover both flanks, pushed those defenders deeper; and gave both plenty of room to create chances.

Yesterday the WH defenders were all over Eze, so he had no time to get on the ball, which meant the quality of ball into final third was not quite up to the standard to create easy chances. The obvious solution to me would be to play our new right winger (Sarr), rather than lazy a$$ centre forward (Edouard) on the right wing who offers no creativity and no balance to the team, even Ayew offered more.

Quite frankly, I'm amazed OG started Edouard, and didn't see the obvious in front of him. Makes me wonder why all of the superlatives for OG - seemed like strange substitutions and poor tactical choices throughout the game.

We do need a few defender, but there is just no balance to the team. I don't know where Kamada fits into the system, and throw Edouard to the curb. He has been carried for the last 18 months +

We need a replacement for Anderson, another centre forward, and a left-sided player for wing back, Mitchell is a good lad, but just doesn't have the ability on the ball required at the top level. Sell Guehi, 60mil is a fair price. Then there's 100mil pot to buy 4 or 5 decent players.

It looks like the new signings are not anywhere close to being net upgrades to the squad for the players that left - so we are treading water and probably taking some in. Hard to replace Olise, but none of the new signings come anywhere close to solving that issue - we need a marquee signing or we are going in reverse.

It's a shame Semanyo went to Bournemouth...he'd of been a quality signing. Hopefully we can sign 1 or 2 before the window closes otherwise it'll be a horrible season. Give the new players time & I think we'll be laughing

Back